Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

What eBikes can you derestrict/mod?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

What eBikes can you derestrict/mod?

Old 01-06-21, 01:09 AM
BlackHalo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question What eBikes can you derestrict/mod?

Hi,

New to this forum: Looking to get an eMTB to keep up with my kids. 25kph is just too slow (I ride MX and road bikes). What are my best options out there?
Many thanks and looking forward to finding trails and information.

Regards
Karl
Old 01-07-21, 09:57 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Bafang stuff has free software allowing the configuration setting to be modified by the user.

Huge advantage IMO. In addition to any speed limits you can even adjust the amount of assist at each number level and motor max power

Not sure about other manufactures.
Old 01-07-21, 10:14 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
If you're referring to OEM bikes, there are companies that manufacture "dongles" that override the settings. I had a listing for one in Europe for my Haibike Yamaha system, but didn't use it. Probably the warranty will be voided. As above, DIY systems allow you to control these functions. Dillenger is in AU; have you contacted them?

Last edited by 2old; 01-07-21 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-07-21, 03:54 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Bafang stuff has free software allowing the configuration setting to be modified by the user.

Huge advantage IMO. In addition to any speed limits you can even adjust the amount of assist at each number level and motor max power

Not sure about other manufactures.
Yeah the newer Bafang displays allow you to set max speed up to 45kph, no additional software required. Dunno whether any of their motors are actually capable of attaining and sustaining that speed though. I’ve kept mine on the default of 25kph because my e-cumbent lacks suspension and only fits up to 2” wide tires.

Tongsheng kits are also configurable but might require additional software, maybe someone else here knows?
Old 01-07-21, 05:09 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by andychrist
Yeah the newer Bafang displays allow you to set max speed up to 45kph, no additional software required. Dunno whether any of their motors are actually capable of attaining and sustaining that speed though. I’ve kept mine on the default of 25kph because my e-cumbent lacks suspension and only fits up to 2” wide tires.

Tongsheng kits are also configurable but might require additional software, maybe someone else here knows?
One can connect a lap top right to the Bafang motor controller and remove the max speed altogether. With me pedaling my BBSHD equipped bike sustains 38 mph on level terrain. Probably more if I gear it higher. On a bike stand the open loop speed with the thumb throttle hits 52 mph.
Old 01-07-21, 05:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 2,578 Posts
You can do whatever you want but you could run into legal issues. You might not be looking at the right bike if you are going E-MTB you might want to find a speed pedelec more designed for commuting.
Old 01-07-21, 10:33 PM
BlackHalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
If you're referring to OEM bikes, there are companies that manufacture "dongles" that override the settings. I had a listing for one in Europe for my Haibike Yamaha system, but didn't use it. Probably the warranty will be voided. As above, DIY systems allow you to control these functions. Dillenger is in AU; have you contacted them?
No, but I will: Many thanks. Stange that this is so hard in Australia.
Old 01-07-21, 10:38 PM
BlackHalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
You can do whatever you want but you could run into legal issues. You might not be looking at the right bike if you are going E-MTB you might want to find a speed pedelec more designed for commuting.
It is not for commuting I have a real bike for that. I am looking for a trail MTB that can go faster than 25kph that I can buy in Australia or one I can MOD easily without resorting to importing (or building).

Last edited by BlackHalo; 01-07-21 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-08-21, 10:53 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
The Dillenger Hunter may be of interest; also Stealth is in AU if you want trail-bending power.
Old 01-08-21, 11:55 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by BlackHalo
It is not for commuting I have a real bike for that. I am looking for a trail MTB that can go faster than 25kph that I can buy in Australia or one I can MOD easily without resorting to importing (or building).
Didn't say you were using it for commuting but the bike you might be looking for would be more designed for commuting. An MTB is going to be a lot heavier and slower in general because it will probably have more weight to it and the suspension will loose energy going up and down rather than taking you forward. They are awesome for riding mountain bike trails but keeping up with kids usually is a good domain for a speed pedelec of some sort and some of those are designed for commuters because going 28mph is handy in traffic.
Old 01-08-21, 09:25 PM
BlackHalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't say you were using it for commuting but the bike you might be looking for would be more designed for commuting. An MTB is going to be a lot heavier and slower in general because it will probably have more weight to it and the suspension will loose energy going up and down rather than taking you forward. They are awesome for riding mountain bike trails but keeping up with kids usually is a good domain for a speed pedelec of some sort and some of those are designed for commuters because going 28mph is handy in traffic.
OK - it was just Terminology.
That is what I want - But one (e.g. GIANT STANCE E+ 2) That is NOT restricted.

Regards
Old 01-08-21, 09:27 PM
BlackHalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
The Dillenger Hunter may be of interest; also Stealth is in AU if you want trail-bending power.
Dillenger is not a trail bike and the Stealth cost more than my real bike
Old 01-08-21, 10:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

OK - it was just Terminology.
That is what I want - But one (e.g. GIANT STANCE E+ 2) That is NOT restricted.

Regards
Where are you riding with your kids? If not on actual real mountain biking trails you are looking at the completely wrong bike. If you are mountain biking you don't need to go beyond 20mph and really shouldn't. It is not a race track and if it is well e-bikes are not allowed in regular races and you probably wouldn't qualify for your kids division as you would be too old for any youth category.
Old 01-08-21, 10:23 PM
BlackHalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where are you riding with your kids? If not on actual real mountain biking trails you are looking at the completely wrong bike. If you are mountain biking you don't need to go beyond 20mph and really shouldn't. It is not a race track and if it is well e-bikes are not allowed in regular races and you probably wouldn't qualify for your kids division as you would be too old for any youth category.
Some trails are quite flat..... and just like when I'm doing MX in the forest you like to give it a squirt - 25kph is handing still.
(You are correct, many trails its impossible to hit 20KM)

Let's hope someone knows a bike you can MOD that does not cost me a BOMB (AKA Stealth)
Old 01-08-21, 10:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Some trails are quite flat..... and just like when I'm doing MX in the forest you like to give it a squirt - 25kph is handing still.
(You are correct, many trails its impossible to hit 20KM)

Let's hope someone knows a bike you can MOD that does not cost me a BOMB (AKA Stealth)
You seem to be avoiding my question! I will ask again WHERE ARE YOU RIDING WITH YOUR KIDS???

You don't need to mod a bike, trust me not a good idea in any senses. We have experimented with that stuff and it wears out the bike prematurely, voids warranty and on trails is unwanted and unneeded.
Old 01-08-21, 10:48 PM
BlackHalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You seem to be avoiding my question! I will ask again WHERE ARE YOU RIDING WITH YOUR KIDS???

You don't need to mod a bike, trust me not a good idea in any senses. We have experimented with that stuff and it wears out the bike prematurely, voids warranty and on trails is unwanted and unneeded.
No need to shout - Only started (as the kids want to trail now not just MX and jump) and went to Lysterfield Park - There were LONG open stretched with no people and some nice turns.

I understand where you are coming from but that was not my question.
Old 01-09-21, 12:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

No need to shout - Only started (as the kids want to trail now not just MX and jump) and went to Lysterfield Park - There were LONG open stretched with no people and some nice turns.

I understand where you are coming from but that was not my question.
Sorry I had to make it easier to read as you were not being clear on where you are riding so it is tough to provide good info if we don't know where you are riding. For Lysterfield Park (which looks so amazing by the way) it looks like a place where you could ride a mountain bike off-road which would not require going extremely fast and could be less than ideal for other trail users and some MUPs which would also be not suitable for going fast as they are shared paths. They also have some DH/Enduro trails which you would probably exceed 28mph going downhill and you would really need much in the way of assistance.
Old 01-11-21, 05:19 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
People want to think that manufacturers are making 50kph bikes but restricting them to 25kph and if you just find the right kit to unlock ... nope. If a bike is sold to conform to X countries speed limit there isn't likely much more power or speed than that available. To go fast offroad takes LOTS of power and the bike has to be plenty strong to boot. You don't find that kind of performance at budget friendly price points. Yes, a BBSHD tucked up under a suitable Downhill MTB should do what the o.p. wants. Budget ~$1500 for motor + battery and ?~$700 to $1000+ or more for a bike. That is what it costs to go fast off-road. YMMV.
Old 01-23-21, 10:01 PM
Glem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Bafang bbshd with a c18 display has no speed limit built in. Dont forget the extra power comes in handy going up hills too not just top speed.
Old 01-30-21, 05:31 AM
peterlewis
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
As much as I would like to remove the speed limit of an e-bike, but I guess it can also bring some legal issues, depending on your area. I had a friend who got into trouble for that.
Old 01-30-21, 07:10 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by peterlewis
As much as I would like to remove the speed limit of an e-bike, but I guess it can also bring some legal issues, depending on your area. I had a friend who got into trouble for that.
Calling BS. Nothing personal, but I'd like to know HOW the authorities would be able to know if a bike was derestricted when most LEO don't even know how to operate a bodycam.
Old 01-30-21, 07:13 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by claire124
Hi,
my sister wants an electric bike. Can someone advise me which one is better?
Which one what? You gotta give us more to go with than that. Budget? That's most important. I'm going to assume she doesn't need to go 40mph like most guys want to but ... folding? Wheel size? Cruiser style? Mixte?
Old 01-30-21, 09:57 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Which one what? You gotta give us more to go with than that. Budget? That's most important. I'm going to assume she doesn't need to go 40mph like most guys want to but ... folding? Wheel size? Cruiser style? Mixte?
Looks like Claire124 is a spambot, please ignore.
Old 02-04-21, 06:10 AM
peterlewis
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Calling BS. Nothing personal, but I'd like to know HOW the authorities would be able to know if a bike was derestricted when most LEO don't even know how to operate a bodycam.
It's like one of those 2 out of 10 situations when you are having a bad day and everything goes against you. My friend was using the modded bike for 1.5 years, no trouble and one not so fine day, he got into trouble. But, if it works for you, more power to you man.
Old 02-04-21, 07:55 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
People want to think that manufacturers are making 50kph bikes but restricting them to 25kph and if you just find the right kit to unlock ... nope. If a bike is sold to conform to X countries speed limit there isn't likely much more power or speed than that available. To go fast offroad takes LOTS of power and the bike has to be plenty strong to boot. You don't find that kind of performance at budget friendly price points. Yes, a BBSHD tucked up under a suitable Downhill MTB should do what the o.p. wants. Budget ~$1500 for motor + battery and ?~$700 to $1000+ or more for a bike. That is what it costs to go fast off-road. YMMV.
people just think in speed. They have no concept of all the other working factors... To most people anything electric is even more confusing electric motors do not respond to input like any gas engine.