Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 07-20-21, 04:24 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I had to order a new handlebar to replace the one that was damaged in a crash last month. The bar arrived yesterday, along with a second box that included a set of tires. I did not order, nor did I pay for, the tires. I sent an email to the company's customer service department about it to let them know. I'm happy to attach a shipping label and drop it off next time I'm near a UPS/FedEx outlet.

Of course, if they don't get back to me, I'm probably not going to chase them down.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 07-20-21, 07:46 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I would have had them up on ebay already
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 07-20-21, 01:07 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Physiotherapy today went so well she says I don't have to come back anymore, just keep working on it at home. She modified the dynamic splint to be more aggressive by moving the safety pin.

ROM of the middle joint improved so much it is greater than that of the uninjured hand! It is compensating for the reduced ROM of the joint nearest the fingertip which is still stiff.

#Goldmember

Last edited by Enthalpic; 07-20-21 at 04:29 PM.
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 07-20-21, 01:55 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I'm not good with stuff like this. Other than moving to the sticks or a really undesirable location, how do you monetize on gains in value of property?

We're up enough in ours we could pay cash for an identical sqft ranch way out of town if we sold our place in town.

But we also still have school age kids. Find a dive somewhere still in town and get that? How do folks play that game?
Old 07-20-21, 02:31 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I've asked myself the same question. My house is worth a stupid amount of money at the moment, but we're not moving right now, and even if we did, we'd just have to buy something equally overpriced elsewhere.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 07-20-21, 03:02 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I'm not good with stuff like this. Other than moving to the sticks or a really undesirable location, how do you monetize on gains in value of property?

We're up enough in ours we could pay cash for an identical sqft ranch way out of town if we sold our place in town.

But we also still have school age kids. Find a dive somewhere still in town and get that? How do folks play that game?
You can rent in a nice area.
Old 07-20-21, 03:04 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
You both hit on the issue - you only come out with cash by moving to a less expensive location or a significantly smaller size home. Without that, increasing property values make us feel weathly, but really just mean taxes go up.

I do know people that have done ok by buying houses in poor condition (a foreclosure actually), fixing them up over the course of a year or two, then selling and buying another place in poor condition to repeat the process. You have to put a lot of your own time into this, and have generally increasing property values for this to work once you account for the cost of selling and buying.
Likes For cmh:
Old 07-20-21, 07:07 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by cmh
You both hit on the issue - you only come out with cash by moving to a less expensive location or a significantly smaller size home. Without that, increasing property values make us feel weathly, but really just mean taxes go up.

I do know people that have done ok by buying houses in poor condition (a foreclosure actually), fixing them up over the course of a year or two, then selling and buying another place in poor condition to repeat the process. You have to put a lot of your own time into this, and have generally increasing property values for this to work once you account for the cost of selling and buying.
And you have to be careful with capital gains exclusions if you do it too fast.

This smoke is no joke. We went for a walk this evening to try and see what might be a cool sunset with all the particles, but all we ended up with was sore throats. Can't imagine what it's like nearby the fires.
Old 07-21-21, 06:10 AM
topflightpro

Yeah, I commented to my wife not to long ago about how much we could get for our house if we sold now. She asked, "Why don't we?" To which I responded, "Because we cannot afford to buy another house anywhere near what we have in this area."

This house is fine and it had most of the things we wanted when we bought it 12 years ago. But now I want different things in my house - like a basement. At the same time, I like most of my neighbors. It's all a give and take really.

Probably, the smartest financial move for us it to just live it out in this house.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 07-21-21, 08:29 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
So I went to the track for the first time since 2009, the last race I did before the race where I crashed and fractured my pelvis. Okay, got taken out, but whatever.

Anyway, couple riders were there from that era, remembered some of the races we battled. I was good for 500m but not much more so I got shelled in every race. The races were long to get laps for everyone, 24-30 lap races. In the points race they even regrouped after each sprint so it was like 6 scratch races in a row.

In the Australian pursuit I had probably my best chance. In the AP everyone starts evenly spaced around the track, if you pass someone they are out, but if you catch them you have the option of drafting them for a bit before passing them, so it becomes a combination of sprinting at the start to sitting on wheels. Because my good peak power I almost caught the eventual winner within 200m. I actually eased a bit, he looked back, panicked, and hit the afterburners. I think if I'd caught and passed him I'd have been golden, since I'd have eliminated the strongest rider of the night. But I was there to focus on not coasting, making sure my bike was okay, etc, so I was okay just rolling around.

The last time I did the AP I was one of two left, and we were dead even. The other guy Scott was telling the others about it, he said "we were chasing each other around for a while." "How long" "Well, they grilled hotdogs and finished them and we were still going". Not really, but you get the point.

NEV is primitive. They moved the sprint line up so the laps are longer (333m now? was 318m). banking is still half what it should be, 14 deg instead of 28 deg, but with the wider curve you can hold the sprint line much easier.

I only hesitate-coasted once. I could almost sit on wheels (fixed gear is different for me vs freewheel, as far as being comfortable drafting). I ripped out a few hard accelerations and two flying 200s after everyone finished, just to get some sprints in my legs without risking taking out others. Bike felt good, I could lift the front wheel in a hard jump just like my black road bike, which to me is the best. I need bigger gears and/or learn to spin lower gears. I think the latter, if I'm doing timed events.

Kicker was that last night was the best night sleep I've had probably in two years. I don't remember the last time I woke up refreshed. I guess a ~3 hour drive each way plus 3 hours of pedaling around (and a LOT of max efforts) will wear me out.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 07-21-21, 11:25 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
carpediemracing Glad to see you back at the track. One aspect that has changed is the use of larger gears and shorter cranks. When I was doing sprint training a couple of years ago, After warmup and jumps, I used 98, 100, 100, 102 for a sequence of flying 100 meter efforts diving off the banking at Carson behind the motor that then dropped off at the flying 200 start line to do the 100 meters solo. The guys who could really sprint, were using 12 tooth rear cogs. The theory is firing the muscles too fast in a max effort is too fatiguing and slower.

The same is true for pursuit and the 500 meters. I am using a 96 in the 500 and I am moving up to 98 in pursuit and I use 165 cranks. My wife, who weighs 108, is using a 96 in pursuit - all at Carson. For slower outdoor 333 concrete tracks, we gear down appropriately.

Gearing is a big YMMV, but the trends are undeniable.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-21-21, 11:52 AM
Flatballer
No matches

The gear inches that fast people are pushing on the track these days are incredible.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 07-21-21, 08:16 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
carpediemracing Glad to see you back at the track. One aspect that has changed is the use of larger gears and shorter cranks. When I was doing sprint training a couple of years ago, After warmup and jumps, I used 98, 100, 100, 102 for a sequence of flying 100 meter efforts diving off the banking at Carson behind the motor that then dropped off at the flying 200 start line to do the 100 meters solo. The guys who could really sprint, were using 12 tooth rear cogs. The theory is firing the muscles too fast in a max effort is too fatiguing and slower.

The same is true for pursuit and the 500 meters. I am using a 96 in the 500 and I am moving up to 98 in pursuit and I use 165 cranks. My wife, who weighs 108, is using a 96 in pursuit - all at Carson. For slower outdoor 333 concrete tracks, we gear down appropriately.

Gearing is a big YMMV, but the trends are undeniable.
So I was using a 51x15 because that's what I had before, and it seemed to be okay back then. However the others were running bigger gears, so instead of my 91-92" gear (I'll call it 91), they were running 94, 96".

For me the 91 was a bit big for rolling around, like not great for warm up, but once up to speed it was too low. I don't have a lot of gear options but I'm going to bring a 52 for next time, and I will try a "huge" gear when doing solo sprint efforts, maybe a 52x14 (100).

The contraction fatigue is real. I did a "started too late" flying 200, and I was spun out and not accelerating at all by about 100m to go. I should have been going faster and maintaining that higher speed longer. That was in the 91" gear. In real life sprints I'm pedaling much slower and going much faster.

Next time.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 07-22-21, 08:35 AM
topflightpro

Going to follow up on what Hermes said. Four or five years ago, when I started track racing, I was running my F200 on 94. A few months ago at a training camp, we were doing our warm up on 96. Race gear depends on what track I am at and wind.

One difference between Hermes and I is that I run 170 cranks. I have long legs, and my fitter, who works with Hermes's fitter, was very happy with me on them.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 07-22-21, 08:55 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
The California version of the Belgian Waffle Ride was this past weekend. Someone on here was going to do it, furriousferret?
BWR Race Recap Video and Waffle Podium Results 2021 — Gravelstoke
Old 07-22-21, 09:08 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Going to follow up on what Hermes said. Four or five years ago, when I started track racing, I was running my F200 on 94. A few months ago at a training camp, we were doing our warm up on 96. Race gear depends on what track I am at and wind.

One difference between Hermes and I is that I run 170 cranks. I have long legs, and my fitter, who works with Hermes's fitter, was very happy with me on them.
I am 6’ tall with long arms 74” wing span and legs 34 inch inseam. ERO wanted me to try 155 cranks. It is all about aero and breathing. Shorter cranks in pursuit allow a greater hip angle and sometimes are faster. I use 172.5 on TT and road and quite frankly do not notice any difference going from 165 to 172.5. I will say that the shorter cranks are probably better for my back due to putting less stress on it in lower aero positions.

In the “old days”, pursuiters used long cranks and big gears spinning more slowly with the idea that more torque generated more speed. Today, we have tweaked that thinking with shorter cranks for better body position but back to big gears.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-22-21, 09:16 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by big john
The California version of the Belgian Waffle Ride was this past weekend. Someone on here was going to do it, furriousferret?
BWR Race Recap Video and Waffle Podium Results 2021 — Gravelstoke
I think FF is sick and hopefully getting better. wktmeow did the race.
Old 07-22-21, 09:24 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
I think FF is sick and hopefully getting better. wktmeow did the race.
Sorry to hear that. I hope he is well soon. I knew wktmeow did it once before, didn't know he was going this time. A friend did it but I don't know anything except that he finished. I want to hear the story from him whenever he feels like telling it.

ok I found the discussion in the TS thread.

Last edited by big john; 07-22-21 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-22-21, 09:30 AM
topflightpro

I am 6’ tall with long arms 74” wing span and legs 34 inch inseam. ERO wanted me to try 155 cranks. It is all about aero and breathing. Shorter cranks in pursuit allow a greater hip angle and sometimes are faster. I use 172.5 on TT and road and quite frankly do not notice any difference going from 165 to 172.5. I will say that the shorter cranks are probably better for my back due to putting less stress on it in lower aero positions.

In the “old days”, pursuiters used long cranks and big gears spinning more slowly with the idea that more torque generated more speed. Today, we have tweaked that thinking with shorter cranks for better body position but back to big gears.
I expected to be told to go to 165s, given all the current trends. But my fitter - also ERO - was surprised by how flexible I am and my ability to get into an aero sprint position and still turn 170s efficiently. (I am not a pursuiter, so there's that too.) Also, the longer crank arm gives a bit more leverage for turning bigger gears.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 07-24-21, 09:05 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
I've asked about this before and got some feedback but time to do it again seriously.

I'm looking for a fitter... Someone that knows wtf they're doing and has worked with injured athletes. If they have a PT background that's a plus. I'm in nj but willing to drive as far as MA/DC (or even Virginia Beach) since I can make a trip out of it and see family or friends.

Hoping not to pay a crazy amount but I think the going rate for a detailed fit is like 300-500 now which is just fine. Esp since I have two bikes that I'll be riding if I ever do this regularly again. Sigh.
Old 07-24-21, 10:31 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

https://www.cyclecraft.com/about/tim...erty-pg879.htm
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 07-24-21, 11:28 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

#oldguycontent

All the moaning about fingers in butts? Just wait until they stick a gopro up your pee hole. bonus is that it squirts water too. Like something out of an old timey vaudeville act.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 07-24-21, 02:05 PM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
I'm in nj but willing to drive as far as MA/DC (or even Virginia Beach) since I can make a trip out of it and see family or friends.

Hoping not to pay a crazy amount but I think the going rate for a detailed fit is like 300-500 now which is just fine. Esp since I have two bikes that I'll be riding if I ever do this regularly again. Sigh.
I've not used him, but this guy is a PT and has a good reputation https://www.velofitpt.com/

This is my guy, and he is amazing. He's not a PT but he knows his stuff and helped me clear up a lot of issues with my fit. https://www.parvillacycles.com/about...logy-pg155.htm
Old 07-25-21, 07:15 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Seems he's down with Lyme and probably out until the fall.
Old 07-25-21, 08:33 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
I've asked about this before and got some feedback but time to do it again seriously.

I'm looking for a fitter... Someone that knows wtf they're doing and has worked with injured athletes. If they have a PT background that's a plus. I'm in nj but willing to drive as far as MA/DC (or even Virginia Beach) since I can make a trip out of it and see family or friends.

Ero-Sport near Allentown is very good. Depending on where in Jersey you are, it's not that far of a drive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.