Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Change tires to something a bit more road-friendly

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-21, 01:32 PM
PVRRip

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I currently have 29”x2.4 tires. But as my age keeps creeping up (76) I find I am riding more and more on the streets, and less up into the mountains.

My bike is a Specialized Rockhopper Expert. The rim specs are Stout 29, 26mm inner width, 28/32h.

I live in Puerto Vallarta, where the road surfaces transition between concrete, asphalt, cobblestone, and dirt with no rhyme or reason. Any ride over about 10 miles will touch all 4 road surfaces, so whatever tire I switch to needs to be able to do this, and also handle the occasional ride up into the mountains.

What is the narrowest tire/tube I can put on these rims that covers these road conditions?

Thanks!
Likes For PVRRip:
Old 08-24-21, 07:12 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by PVRRip
I currently have 29”x2.4 tires. But as my age keeps creeping up (76) I find I am riding more and more on the streets, and less up into the mountains.

My bike is a Specialized Rockhopper Expert. The rim specs are Stout 29, 26mm inner width, 28/32h.

I live in Puerto Vallarta, where the road surfaces transition between concrete, asphalt, cobblestone, and dirt with no rhyme or reason. Any ride over about 10 miles will touch all 4 road surfaces, so whatever tire I switch to needs to be able to do this, and also handle the occasional ride up into the mountains.

What is the narrowest tire/tube I can put on these rims that covers these road conditions?

Thanks!
Any mud?

I just think it’s awesome that you’re 75 and still ride 10miles.
Old 08-26-21, 09:48 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Just get a set of Hookworms. They roll fairly fast, but are still cushy on broken pavement and sticky enough for moderate dirt.
Old 09-02-21, 09:48 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
fwiw - when I had a 26" MTB I really enjoyed Maxxis Holy Rollers
Old 09-03-21, 10:03 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 621 Posts
Ive been using Kenda Kosmic Lite 2 tires mostly for off road, but they're also excellent on the surfaces you're riding. Can't believe how a light tire with minimal tread and low rolling resistance is so sticky on trails. Don't know whether they're still available.
Old 09-05-21, 06:55 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Whichever tire you get isn't as important as the overall diameter. Stay close to what the bike was designed for. You can go .1 or .2" smaller, but not more. You could look for some 29x2.2 gravel tires.
Old 09-08-21, 09:41 AM
distance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went from recon 2.4 to gravel king tlc 1.9 and love them… fast semi slick.

Last edited by distance; 09-13-21 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-08-21, 09:54 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by distance
I went from recon 2.4 to gravel king ltc 1.9 and love them… fast semi slick, I ride mostly roads and gravel.
i would consider switching to a rigid fork for your type of riding, you'll get much more out of the bike.
Old 09-29-21, 11:40 AM
Brian Marshall

Bikes: 2014 Trek X Caliber 8

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PVRRip

Thanks!
1st- at 75, I still hope to be riding a bike- period!

2nd- I would stick with a XC style tire in the 2.2- 2.25 width range. I now ride a chunkier tire, but have ridden the Bontrager XR1's and thought they were a great all around tire for light trails(like harder packed dirt) as well as street. This style tire will give you a smoother ride while on street but still take the other 3 surfaces you encounter.

Keep on pedaling!
Likes For Brian Marshall:
Old 09-29-21, 01:17 PM
doubravsky 

Bikes: Colnago Crystal, GT MTB, Fuji D6 TT bike, Breezer Beltway commuter

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
What about a more gravel-like tire, like a Terravail Sparwood? My salsa fargo came with them in 29 x 2.3
Old 09-30-21, 10:56 AM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Maxxis makes a wide range of tires for different conditions and rider preferences. Be aware that a narrower tire is not going to reduce rolling resistance but will make the ride harsher as you would need to run at a higher PSI. A 25mm tire for example has 18% more air volume and so can be run at 20-25 percent lower PSI without impacting rolling resistance.

The more a tire flexes and squirms the more effort to move it along and this is a function of the tread, tread compounds, and the sidewalls. I would consider durability and minimizing flats in your search.

The Maxxis Rekon Race is a good compromise tire with lower rolling resistance and still good handling on dirt. Not optimum for the front tire on soft surfaces where braking and traction are important. I run with the Rekon Race on the rear wheel and the Maxxis Minion DHF on the front wheel. For generally flat terrain you could use the Rekon Race on both wheels or put the standard Rekon on the front wheel.