Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Downtube Nova vs Zizzo Via

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 07-19-21, 06:19 AM
NJfolder

Bikes: Specialized Myka mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't posted here in years, mainly because I no longer have a folder, but I am now thinking of getting a new one. My old one was something cheap I bought off eBay back in 2007 and I gave it to a friend a few years later when I bought a full size mountain bike. That folder was heavy and had a lot of issues due to it being cheaply made, but I had them all resolved by taking it to my LBS, but for what I put into it, I could have bought a much better brand. Now I'm looking into getting a name brand folder to ride at the beach since I don't need a mountain bike there and don't want to transport it. I don't want to spend more than $400 and I've narrowed it down to either the Downtube Nova or Zizzo Via. The Nova is available at a good price now and the Via is slightly more. The Via has fenders and the Nova does not, but that's not a deal breaker. I'm not a gear head so I don't know how the components compare or which is made better, so any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by NJfolder; 07-20-21 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-19-21, 07:24 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
I can only speak for the Via and Zizzo in general. I think you get a lot of bang for your buck. The Via is comparable to my Dahon Mariner. Also have the Forte which is more heavy duty. Zizzo puts out good quality that should satisfy most riders. I am sure Yans bikes fall into the same category, I just have not ridden one.
Old 07-20-21, 07:42 AM
NJfolder

Bikes: Specialized Myka mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. My only concern with Downtube is Yan is leaving the company sometime this year so I wonder what the future holds (will there be customer support, etc).
Old 07-20-21, 02:43 PM
jhoff80

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NJfolder
Thanks for the reply. My only concern with Downtube is Yan is leaving the company sometime this year so I wonder what the future holds (will there be customer support, etc).
With the caveat that I bought a Downtube a few months back, but before that news... personally that doesn't worry me at all. If I ever have issues, I'm not going to call up the company or ship them the bike back, I'd be going to a local shop anyway.
Old 07-20-21, 04:29 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
I can’t speak for DownTube bikes but the recent news of the company’s changes (or simply fading away) is enough to dissuade me from even consideration of their products (whatever remains of their inventory).

That said I DO have 2 Zizzo (formerly EuroMini branded) Urbano bikes now over 4 years old, well ridden and still going strong with very few problems, but exemplary support when needed. This may be as simple as a simple technical question with someone to speak with, a replacement DR hanger when one fell over, or most recently a purchase of some new folding pedals after several thousand miles and a couple of rebuilds of the original pedals. I’ve also purchased these bikes for others as gifts, recommended the brand to friends who have bought them, and in general voiced my COMPLETE satisfaction with the bicycles.

Those who know me will tell you that I can be a tough customer in terms of fault-finding and such, and these bicycles have exceeded my expectations for a (at-the-time $300.- dollar) folder since day one, and continue to do so. And since I won’t take an internet purchased bike to an LBS (they really don’t love that…) my satisfaction not only includes the actual bicycle, but the ability to call their Tech Dept. and speak with someone who can help me service my bike if/when I need a question answered specific to their bicycles.

In short these were our first folders, and despite owning others the wife and I each still adore these Zizzos and both rate them as our favorites.
Old 07-20-21, 06:18 PM
sslonkosky

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Brian of I Bike Unfolded was happy with a used Zizzo Liberte he purchased. He decided he also wanted a bike with more cargo carrying capacity so he bought a Zizzo Forte, He said the Tourney derailleur was the fatal flaw. He had another bike with that derailleur that also gave him lots of problems. I note that the Via comes with the Tourney, while the Urbano and Liberte come with an Altus derailleur. The Via has a Tourney. See both the video and the comments.

Brian made a number of upgrades, but said the one essential one was replacing the derailleur with one from Microshift that cost about $20. He describes the upgrades about halway into this video

I don't have any personal experience with Zizzo except that I saw a girl with one once on the Metro Gold Line.

I read in another thread that Costco was selling the Liberte for $300 in December 2019. Now it's $420 from Costco and $480 from Zizzo.
Had I noticed that $300 price, I probably would have bought it because I was without a bike because my Downtube 8H was stolen in March 2019.

I did buy a Nova in the spring of 2020. I like that it only weighs 25 lb. (I may still buy an 8H because I prefer IGH and the belt drive.) The Nova has a Microshift derailleur and it generally works okay. There's a little skipping now and then and sometimes the chain has fallen off when I am in low gear, though that's probably my fault.

I have the 2020 Nova ($359) and the tires are only 1.2" wide, which I think is too narrow considering the bad shape the roads are in around here (San Gabriel Valley of SoCal). I found a 1.5" Schwalbe Marathon tire on Amazon for $16 (it was a returned item) and put it on the rear wheel, but I'm thinking of going with 2.0" Schwalbe Big Apples. I also purchased the head tube bag with Klick Fix adapter, but have not been able to attach the adapter because the head tube plate a bit too tall. The width is correct and the holes are spaced correctly. I'd need to file off some of the top and bottom of the headtube plate.
Old 07-23-21, 11:43 AM
sslonkosky

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Downtube price increases

Earlier this year, the Nova was $359 (plus $90 if you want the 2021 model). Then it was $399. Today it’s $429.

Similarly, the 8H was $999, then $1099, now $1199.

At least some of the other bikes have increased in price, but I haven’t paid close attention to those.
Old 07-23-21, 12:49 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Originally Posted by sslonkosky
Earlier this year, the Nova was $359 (plus $90 if you want the 2021 model). Then it was $399. Today it’s $429.

Similarly, the 8H was $999, then $1099, now $1199.

At least some of the other bikes have increased in price, but I haven’t paid close attention to those.
DT was playing those pricing policies back in 2017 BEFORE pandemic-related bike shortages, or the current inflationary position we're in. I was preparing to purchase 2 of his bikes, and was waiting on a tax refund to do so, then he raised prices on them significantly and sent me shopping elsewhere....hence my Euro-Minis. TBH that left me with a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 07-23-21, 10:42 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
I bought our Nova and 8FS in 2017 for $279 and $359 respectively, if I recall my pricing. Price inflation, pandemic, increased shipping costs. etc. make the current pricing understandable, but not palatable. Front/rear suspension on the 8FS sure make it a comfy bike.

The Schwinn Loop was $210-279 thru most of 2019. and I bought one for $249 on ebay. Today, it's over $400 on amazon. ANd it has a 38T front chain that has to be replaced. Also has a sturdy but heavy steel one piece steerer. Not much technology for your $400.

The Citizen Barcelona, a step-thru folder with 3 speed IGH, was a step-thru contender with the Loop that year when it was about $499-549, but is $699 today.

With Downtube either being sold or closing, I'd see no reason to buy one in the future. Yikes, when his customers/fans walk away, how is he going to get any money for it.
Old 07-24-21, 01:06 PM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
This forum has been great fun over the years. However I took a multi year break around 2012, because of personal posts...that were baiting a reaction.

There are two arguments in this thread.
1. My departure is discouraging people from buying.
2. Price increases are too extreme.

Let me respond to both:
1. Does anyone "know" the owner's of citizen bike? How about zizzo, Tern, Pacific Cycle? I have brought values, honor, and respect to Downtube. I believe it is in a good place to move forward without me. I don't understand how my leaving is a negative. My openness is unique, and I view it as a positive. Especially when the competition has mysterious ownership. It would be more logical to request openness from competition.

2. Price increases:. Supply chains are broken, container shipping has increased as high as $20,000 from $5,000. Duty has increased to 36% from 11%. Factory costs have skyrocketed. Our price increases will continue in the coming months.

More relevant is how competitive we are with our offering. Our new Nova spec is superior to all zizzo models, citizen bike models, and the Dahon Mariner. We have hollow tech BB & cranks, 8sp cassette with mid cage rear derailleur, trigger shifter, and quick releases on the hubs. In addition to having better specs we are priced less than the majority of our competition. Mariner is $999. Therefore our pricing is the lowest....so I don't understand the pricing complaints.

If you think an open ownership is worse than unknown owners, and you prefer higher prices for lower specs....I am unable to satisfy those requirements.

Thanks
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Likes For downtube:
Old 07-25-21, 07:39 PM
FolderBeholder

Originally Posted by downtube
This forum has been great fun over the years. However I took a multi year break around 2012, because of personal posts...that were baiting a reaction.

There are two arguments in this thread.
1. My departure is discouraging people from buying.
2. Price increases are too extreme.

Let me respond to both:
1. Does anyone "know" the owner's of citizen bike? How about zizzo, Tern, Pacific Cycle? I have brought values, honor, and respect to Downtube. I believe it is in a good place to move forward without me. I don't understand how my leaving is a negative. My openness is unique, and I view it as a positive. Especially when the competition has mysterious ownership. It would be more logical to request openness from competition.

2. Price increases:. Supply chains are broken, container shipping has increased as high as $20,000 from $5,000. Duty has increased to 36% from 11%. Factory costs have skyrocketed. Our price increases will continue in the coming months.

More relevant is how competitive we are with our offering. Our new Nova spec is superior to all zizzo models, citizen bike models, and the Dahon Mariner. We have hollow tech BB & cranks, 8sp cassette with mid cage rear derailleur, trigger shifter, and quick releases on the hubs. In addition to having better specs we are priced less than the majority of our competition. Mariner is $999. Therefore our pricing is the lowest....so I don't understand the pricing complaints.

If you think an open ownership is worse than unknown owners, and you prefer higher prices for lower specs....I am unable to satisfy those requirements.

Thanks
Yan
To re-cap MY experience with you, we spoke extensively by phone about your bikes back in 2017 you were very affable and spoke extensively of your personal bicycling career. I told you I’d be ordering 2 units (don’t recall which model now) as soon as my tax $ hit the decks. Some 60 days later when the time was right for me, the price on that same model of bike was raised some $300 each*, a significant increase. Enough so, I decided to re-visit my shopping process.

*These costs you cite now had nothing to do with 2017, nor do I believe you sell enough bikes annually to require multitudes of containers full of bikes to fulfill your sales figures. In fact when I asked about this un-natural and significant price increase at the time you told me it was due to fewer of those models available in your inventory of them. In short you had fewer of them to sell so you felt it was OK to charge more for them. Increased costs, tariffs, etc. never came into the conversation.

Once I discovered and purchased 2 Euro-Mini Urbanos in lieu of your products, and began to discuss them on this very forum, you contacted me directly to question the validity of the 24lb weight claim Euro MIni makes for this model (Now Zizzo…same company, same owners, same bikes) and later when they landed a contract with Costco, one you claimed here that that would be their death-knell. My response to you was that you sounded like a jealous business competitor of theirs. They’re still VERY much in business, and I can call them now and speak to the same folks I spoke with in 2017.

All that said. I have no personal beef with you, but find your business practices as they’ve applied to me, distasteful, as business goes where it feels welcomed. You unfortunately have enjoyed none of my business as an outcome, and I’ve since purchased several bikes elsewhere (inc 4 Euro Mini/Zizzo). There is more to the buy/sell value proposition from THIS buyer’s point of view, and I suspect others, than specs and pricing.

Not that it matters now, but I’m not certain that point isn’t lost on you.
Old 07-26-21, 05:24 AM
downtube

Originally Posted by FolderBeholder
To re-cap MY experience with you, we spoke extensively by phone about your bikes back in 2017 you were very affable and spoke extensively of your personal bicycling career. I told you I’d be ordering 2 units (don’t recall which model now) as soon as my tax $ hit the decks. Some 60 days later when the time was right for me, the price on that same model of bike was raised some $300 each*, a significant increase. Enough so, I decided to re-visit my shopping process.
I believe I recall talking with you while I was outside the EOU gym. I recall the conversation was not short, and I must have answered all questions. I believe the preorder price of the 8H was $699, the standard price ( once delivered ) was $799, and we increased it to $999 once inventory was low.

The cheapest competitor with a CDX gates belt, and Shimano 8sp internal hub was the Tern s8i for around $2200 ( in 2017 ). Your expectations of price stability at 70% less than competitors is not realistic. I have raised prices when we are low on stock for the past 20 years. It is our way of managing inventory. Early buyers get the benefit of higher resale values. You had the opportunity to buy at a huge discount, you chose not to. I think it would be more logical to ask Tern or a different company to drop the CDX belt bikes to $699-$799 level. Why are you questioning my prices that are less than everyone else?

*These costs you cite now had nothing to do with 2017, nor do I believe you sell enough bikes annually to require multitudes of containers full of bikes to fulfill your sales figures. In fact when I asked about this un-natural and significant price increase at the time you told me it was due to fewer of those models available in your inventory of them. In short you had fewer of them to sell so you felt it was OK to charge more for them. Increased costs, tariffs, etc. never came into the conversation.
I addressed this above. I control inventory management via pricing. It is legal and proper. I don't understand the logic of complaining about pricing for the lowest priced product in the market.....by far.

Once I discovered and purchased 2 Euro-Mini Urbanos in lieu of your products, and began to discuss them on this very forum, you contacted me directly to question the validity of the 24lb weight claim Euro MIni makes for this model (Now Zizzo…same company, same owners, same bikes) and later when they landed a contract with Costco, one you claimed here that that would be their death-knell. My response to you was that you sounded like a jealous business competitor of theirs. They’re still VERY much in business, and I can call them now and speak to the same folks I spoke with in 2017.
I'm glad you like your bikes. Are they are more generous with time than me....I find that doubtful. The entire lineup of Zizzo Urbano and below doesn't have QR's on the wheels, lower grade BB, drivetrain, etc for roughly the same price as our Nova. Most people would prefer better components & QR wheels for products in the same price range.

FYI I stated the Costco deal was a bad one....and it has changed. The change in Costco distribution pricing implies the old pricing didn't work.
All that said. I have no personal beef with you, but find your business practices as they’ve applied to me, distasteful, as business goes where it feels welcomed. You unfortunately have enjoyed none of my business as an outcome, and I’ve since purchased several bikes elsewhere (inc 4 Euro Mini/Zizzo). There is more to the buy/sell value proposition from THIS buyer’s point of view, and I suspect others, than specs and pricing.

Not that it matters now, but I’m not certain that point isn’t lost on you.
It seems you do have a personal beef, since there is no logic complaining about prices that are 60%-70% less than all competition from 4 years ago. FYI we could sell for 25-30% less than competitors this would lead to making more money. We have tons of price elasticity. I prefer my business model. The next generation will decide on the future of Downtube policies & pricing. My time is coming to an end soon!

Thanks,
Yan
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.

Last edited by downtube; 07-26-21 at 07:19 AM.
Likes For downtube:
Old 07-26-21, 07:35 AM
downtube

I have a learned from these forums in the past 16+ years. I hope to learn more in the future. However, I will be unable to participate in discussions where I am held to a different standard, For example:

1. Ownership openness- No one has been as open as me. Requesting more from me is inconsistent. I think such posters should go ask Josua Hon a few questions first
2. Pricing- There has never been a company in this market with better specs for the price. Pricing complaints for Downtube will only make sense when there is a better spec'd bike for less money. 10 sp full suspension bikes are $2k+ ( ours is under $1k ), 8sp Aline CDX belt drive bikes are $2.2k+ ( ours is about half off ). Additionally, our bikes are mature, the FS frame was introduced in 2005, it has evolved over the years.

We are not perfect, we have made many mistakes, and many more will follow. However the above are not a problem ( IMHO ).

Thanks,
Yan

Last edited by downtube; 07-26-21 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-26-21, 08:05 AM
FolderBeholder

I believe I recall talking with you while I was outside the EOU gym. I recall the conversation was not short, and I must have answered all questions. I believe the preorder price of the 8H was $699, the standard price ( once delivered ) was $799, and we increased it to $999 once inventory was low.

The cheapest competitor with a CDX gates belt, and Shimano 8sp internal hub was the Tern s8i for around $2200 ( in 2017 ). Your expectations of price stability at 70% less than competitors is not realistic. I have raised prices when we are low on stock for the past 20 years. It is our way of managing inventory. Early buyers get the benefit of higher resale values. You had the opportunity to buy at a huge discount, you chose not to. I think it would be more logical to ask Tern or a different company to drop the CDX belt bikes to $699-$799 level. Why are you questioning my prices that are less than everyone else?

I addressed this above. I control inventory management via pricing. It is legal and proper. I don't understand the logic of complaining about pricing for the lowest priced product in the market.....by far.

I'm glad you like your bikes. Are they are more generous with time than me....I find that doubtful. The entire lineup of Zizzo Urbano and below doesn't have QR's on the wheels, lower grade BB, drivetrain, etc for roughly the same price as our Nova. Most people would prefer better components & QR wheels for products in the same price range.

FYI I stated the Costco deal was a bad one....and it has changed. The change in Costco distribution pricing implies the old pricing didn't work.

It seems you do have a personal beef, since there is no logic complaining about prices that are 60%-70% less than all competition from 4 years ago. FYI we could sell for 25-30% less than competitors this would lead to making more money. We have tons of price elasticity. I prefer my business model. The next generation will decide on the future of Downtube policies & pricing. My time is coming to an end soon!

Thanks,
Yan
You talk in circles…but it’s of no consequence as our conversation has run it’s course.
Best wishes to you moving forward.
Old 07-27-21, 08:13 PM
wesgreen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
Best wishes for your future endeavors, Yan. I've appreciated your contributions from a builder's perspective to this forum.
Likes For wesgreen:
Old 07-28-21, 01:22 PM
downtube

I find the complaints from FolderBeholder extremely ironic. I recall talking with him for about 30 minutes, and expected his order. I actually held up price increases for him, however his order never came. Four years later he complains that I increased prices 60 days after his expected order Logically he could have ordered at the lower price for an extended period of time, or he could choose a competitor to purchase. Instead he expected me to hold inventory for him at his required price. That's too much to ask, and I am glad he is not a customer. My University teaching positions have subsidized Downtube sales for nearly twenty years....is that not enough???

This is a tough thread to read... I felt truly sad reading it. I do not put these ridiculous requirements on others ( sell for 70% off, unlimited phone time, no raising prices, etc ), is there a reason people put these requirements on me???

Thanks,
Yan
Old 07-29-21, 05:14 AM
anga

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
I find the complaints from FolderBeholder extremely ironic. I recall talking with him for about 30 minutes, and expected his order. I actually held up price increases for him, however his order never came. Four years later he complains that I increased prices 60 days after his expected order Logically he could have ordered at the lower price for an extended period of time, or he could choose a competitor to purchase. Instead he expected me to hold inventory for him at his required price. That's too much to ask, and I am glad he is not a customer. My University teaching positions have subsidized Downtube sales for nearly twenty years....is that not enough???

This is a tough thread to read... I felt truly sad reading it. I do not put these ridiculous requirements on others ( sell for 70% off, unlimited phone time, no raising prices, etc ), is there a reason people put these requirements on me???

Thanks,
Yan
One can never satisfy 100% of any group.
You must've figured this out from all your years of teaching.
Old 08-02-21, 07:15 PM
FolderBeholder

Thanks,
Yan
Pure hogwash Yan. You neither held, nor offered to hold any product for me, at any price point. Nor did you warn me you’d be raising prices. We spoke in detail and an increase was not part of our convo. And as you admit, you obviously weren’t able to be solely profitable as a bicycle company without subsidizing DT with your day-job, and for that I’m truly sorry for you. Most people would’ve pulled the plug on this sooner, so you get the tenacity award. But, that doesnt change my experience.

And I’ve I’ve frequently commented to others that I was glad to have ended up going the way I did. For the record, since I purchased my first folders (those 2 Urbanos) I’ve since added 2 Bromptons (whose prices are exactly what they were in 2018 when we bought them BTW) as well as 2 Tokyobikes. And some additional EuroMinis as gifts. So, I’m “somebody’s” good customer just not yours and that was my choice, not yours.

Even after I bought those first Urbanos, you still felt it apropos to contact me and ask me to weigh my EuroMinis so you could publicly assail their 24# claimed weight by the seller.

But at the end of the day, and as a businessperson who has been in the tech sales buisness since 1977, I can tell you that people buy from whom they feel welcome, and they don’t wish to chase a rapidly upward -moving price-point. (my sales are big-ticket, and have a much longer gestation period than a bicycle purchase) Thats precisely where you came up short for me, and THAT’S the part of the equation I don’t believe you get. Perhaps it simply wasn’t meant to be, a buy-sell relationship between us, and that happens, but let’s get the events correct for the record.
Old 08-04-21, 09:22 AM
downtube

Originally Posted by FolderBeholder
Pure hogwash Yan. You neither held, nor offered to hold any product for me, at any price point. Nor did you warn me you’d be raising prices. We spoke in detail and an increase was not part of our convo. And as you admit, you obviously weren’t able to be solely profitable as a bicycle company without subsidizing DT with your day-job, and for that I’m truly sorry for you. Most people would’ve pulled the plug on this sooner, so you get the tenacity award. But, that doesnt change my experience.
During our conversation, you stated you would be buying the bikes soon. Hence I held off on the price increase for you. Eventually, I gave up waiting.

I teach because I like it, not for money. Same is true for Downtube, at our peak we grossed way over $1 million per year.

I will move on from this thread....it feels personal.

Thanks,
Yan
Old 08-16-21, 10:08 PM
sslonkosky

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Downtube News & Moving Sale

“Downtube News & Moving Sale
“Posted by Dr. Yan Lyansky on Aug 16th 2021

“To save costs we used our property as a warehouse ( we fit up to three 40' containers ). Everything will be moving soon to a new facility. We have discounted the XS, XFS, 8H, and Nova to sell more bikes before the move. Thank you for your support!”

I really wanted another folding bike with an IGH to replace the 8H that was stolen in March 2019. I considered trying to upgrade the Nova I purchased last year, but think that might be more trouble than it’s worth. I also considered getting a Dahon Mariner i7 or Vitesse. I saw both of these for sale online for $800. It’s not clear to me what’s the difference between these bikes. The Mariners now seem to have sold out.

What I like better about Dahons is the lower step over height, lighter weight and the Magnetix. What I like better about the Downtube 8H is the belt drive, the front suspension and the Alfine-8 IGH (the Dahons have the Nexus 7) and install disc brakes (though I haven’t decided to do that yet). I believe you could upgrade a Dahon with a Veer belt drive kit, but including the necessary installation tool, you’d have to pay about $400, bringing you up to $1200, the same as the 8H.

The temporary price reduction to $999 for the 8H convinced me that now is the time to buy it. So I just ordered one this evening.

Thanks, Yan (though he said he was done with this thread so I guess he won’t see my comment).

Last edited by sslonkosky; 08-16-21 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-20-21, 03:41 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
The problem I have with my Downtube Mini 8 speed Shimano Nexus folder is the handlebar stem didn't allow for rotation of the handlebars, so folding the bike damages the frame and handlebars. The current models (8 and 11 speed Mini) have the upgraded stem, allowing a much better fold. The lack of the magnetic latching of a Dahon/Tern folder is easily solved via a velcro strap. The strap is also much more reliable. Downtube makes solid folding bikes at quite good pricing.
Old 08-20-21, 10:31 PM
sslonkosky

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Tds101, to rotate the handlebars, wouldn’t you need to use an Allen key to loosen the bolts holding it? Is there anyway to install a handlebar clamp, such as one that Thorusa sells? (THORUSA Xklusive Accessories). I had a Dahon Speed D7 (stolen from me several years ago) that had a clamp like this.

I thought about buying a Mini 8 last year, but didn’t for several reasons. SoCal roads have lots of potholes and things are bumpy enough with 20” wheels. Also I need to use buses to get where I’m going in a reasonable amount of time and I think less than half of them have racks that will hold bikes with 16” wheels. It’s not a bad idea to take the bike inside, but it is something of a hassle for me. In 2019, I had an 8H stolen off a bus rack. The thief left a bike on the rack, but took mine when he left. It happened in Eagle Rock and I called LAPD and they couldn’t even be bothered to take a report. I’m thinking of running a cable lock through the wheels to discourage a potential thief from riding off with it. You’re not allowed to lock bikes to the rack.
Old 08-21-21, 08:44 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by sslonkosky
Tds101, to rotate the handlebars, wouldn’t you need to use an Allen key to loosen the bolts holding it? Is there anyway to install a handlebar clamp, such as one that Thorusa sells? (THORUSA Xklusive Accessories). I had a Dahon Speed D7 (stolen from me several years ago) that had a clamp like this.

I thought about buying a Mini 8 last year, but didn’t for several reasons. SoCal roads have lots of potholes and things are bumpy enough with 20” wheels. Also I need to use buses to get where I’m going in a reasonable amount of time and I think less than half of them have racks that will hold bikes with 16” wheels. It’s not a bad idea to take the bike inside, but it is something of a hassle for me. In 2019, I had an 8H stolen off a bus rack. The thief left a bike on the rack, but took mine when he left. It happened in Eagle Rock and I called LAPD and they couldn’t even be bothered to take a report. I’m thinking of running a cable lock through the wheels to discourage a potential thief from riding off with it. You’re not allowed to lock bikes to the rack.
The new stem has a quick release, exactly like my Dahon folding bikes. The older model required an allen key to adjust the handlebars, which I wouldn't recommend doing every time you fold the bike. It would strip the threads on the handlepost. There's no way to modify an older handlepost, and the new model solved the problem. And as for the seller you linked, where do you think I shop? All of us are more than familiar with ThorUSA.

I live in NYC, and bumpy roads and potholes are a nightmare here. I own a Downtube Mini, Dahon Curve and an Origami Wasp. All are 16", all have been updated with fat tires, all are comfortable to ride, BUT my older model Downtube Mini isn't something I'd want to carry on the bus or train, as the inability to adjust the handlebars for a tight fold just kills it. The Curve and Wasp fold much thinner, and are easier to carry. The New Mini solved this problem, and is now equal in folding ability.

As for the theft of your bike, ALL bikes are at risk. ALL bikes need to be secured with the correct HIGH SECURITY chains and locks to help PREVENT theft. Cable locks are the absolute LAST type of locking method I'd ever recommend, as even a cheap cable cutter can get a lazy thief a bike if you use them.
Old 09-28-21, 03:51 AM
Lordkawa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just bought a used Tern Link D8 which seemed like a good balanced product to enter the world of folding bikes. In Italy if you want a decent folding bike we only talk about Brompton, Dahon and Tern. Now I was considering a second folding bike and took a peek at international forums. I must say that I find these two unknown brands in Italy very interesting and they impressed me positively.