Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Wide (700x42-700x47) all-round tires

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-21, 01:06 AM
Cyclist0114

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey, right now I use Gravelkings EXT 700x38c and I'm happy with them, but there is a lot of place for wider tires and consider something different.
Unfortunately, 38c is max for EXT and have to choose different tire.

Is should be all-round tire, but mostly for gravel - I have separate road bike for roads.
I prefer ride in dry conditions, but autumn and winter are coming, so mud is possible.
No racing but like fast rides just for fun. I will use them in DT R500 rims (22mm internal) and tubeless.

What can you recommend? I considered these tires:
  • Maxxis Rambler 700x45c EXO - but many people complaint about no grip in even light mud... but maybe it's not a big deal? They are light
  • Gravelkings SK 700x43c - but they can throw rocks to frame (i had this issue with 35c version) and in mud, "transform" into slick tire so fast
  • Gravelkings SS 700x43c - no issue with rocks, but I think it's not best choice for wet conditions
  • WBT Riddler/Raddler - but they are heavy, also used 37c wired (OEMs) with tubes and they were sluggish, wider version will be even worse, but maybe I'm wrong... maybe SG2 version is better
What else should I consider? I'm from Poland in EU and some tires are not available (like Donnelly X'plor) or shipping cost make them completely unprofitable.
Old 09-28-21, 06:18 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
I've ridden the following tires and have fallen in love with the Challenge Gravel Grinder's in 700x42

700x40 Maxxis Rambler - Fast, not super supple, decent grip in the mud I encounter through a European winter, probably similar to your winter weather in Poland. I am super curious about the 700x45s.
700x45 WTB Riddler - Slower, more comfortable than Rambler's, maybe a little better in the mud than the Rambler. The tire ultimately bummed me out as it felt sluggish on the road when commuting to gravel. If there were no road miles, I would me more inclined to keep this tire.
700x33 Clement MXP - Fast on pavement, amazing grip in mud and grass as they are a CX tire, surprisingly only a little less comfortable than the Maxxis Rambler's in 40mm.
700x42 Challenge Gravel Grinder - Extremely fast rolling on pavement, great off road, nice and supple, a little slippery in mud. My favorite tire I've had so far, maybe due to the commute on the road to gravel that I have. They also seem to run large on my 19mm internal rims, they are as wide or wider than the 45mm WTB Riddlers.
Old 09-28-21, 07:17 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by lukasamd
WTB Riddlers
fwiw - I like these on my MTB (2.25") but only for unpaved trails. I can play with tire pressure depending on expected terrain. I also used them on a hybrid bike before I figured I needed a MTB for the trails I was riding. in narrower widths the ability to play w/ tire pressure is not as great. these tires are wicked easy to mount
Old 09-28-21, 08:06 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I have the Gravelking SS in 43mm on my bike right now, had em for almost a year now and love em. Most of my rides are 60-70% gravel and 30-40% pavement though as I ride pavement to get to and from gravel.
The SS is really different from your current EXT in terms of tread. If you feel the EXT tread is necessary, I would stay away from the SS.
All my gravel riding is on gravel roads and hardpacked dirt so a fairly slick tread is fine. If I were on soft loam or something like that, then maybe tread would be best. Just general comments since I dont know your area.
Old 09-28-21, 09:11 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
WTB Resolute. Nominal 42mm, but puffs up a bit wider - on my 19.5mm ID rims they get to around 44mm.

Relatively light, supple, good traction, great tread life. Never had a problem with them.
Old 09-28-21, 10:39 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
I really like the Specialized Pathfinder Pros. Nice rolling tire and very good puncture resistance. I live in goat-head county and they seem to be especially bad this year. The Pathfinders seem to just chew them up and spit them out.
I run the 700X42's