Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Twenty folding swap meet find!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Raleigh Twenty folding swap meet find!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-21, 06:37 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
I had one of them when I lived in Erie in the mid-70's and worked at A.R. Adams Cycle. It became my main commuter, because I only had to store it in the second floor closet, rather than taking my Sports up to the third floor attic/shop.

Got another one, but in green,

about seven years ago. It became my honeymoon bike in St. Augustine (a wonderful place to pedal around) and still have it today. Probably in the list of the permanent keepers.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Last edited by sykerocker; 09-28-21 at 12:38 PM.
Likes For sykerocker:
Old 09-22-21, 10:37 PM
tjfastback66

Bikes: a few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
I had one of them when I lived in Erie in the mid-70's and worked at A.R. Adams Cycle.
Got an other one, but in green,about seven years ago. It became my honeymoon bike in St. Augustine (a wonderful place to pedal around) and still have it today. Probably in the list of the permanent keepers.
Wow that is in wonderful shape! I rode this $35.00 bike around my driveway before tearing it down LOL. But I agree that it might be a keeper. I have never named my bikes in the past but thinking about naming it "SWAPPER" in the true spirit of my youth's envy of the Raleigh Chopper.
Anyway I cleaned it up a bit tonight and the vision is coming together. I really have to admit these R20's are very cool, and way under appreciated imho.
Likes For tjfastback66:
Old 09-23-21, 05:45 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by tjfastback66
Wow that is in wonderful shape! I rode this $35.00 bike around my driveway before tearing it down LOL. But I agree that it might be a keeper. I have never named my bikes in the past but thinking about naming it "SWAPPER" in the true spirit of my youth's envy of the Raleigh Chopper.
Anyway I cleaned it up a bit tonight and the vision is coming together. I really have to admit these R20's are very cool, and way under appreciated imho.
As best I can tell, and my memory is still good on this, my bike is absolutely bone stock, a straight from the crate (as was mine back in ‘73) example of the bike except for the tires. Yours is actually in better cosmetic shape than mine as the distance in the photograph hides rather well. Fully one third of the chrome on the other sides crank arm has peeled off, for starters.

These are incredibly good, useful bikes; probably the only really worthwhile folder from back in that day. I’ll strongly suggest changing the rear cog to something a bit bigger (I’ll check mine later today as to what I’ve got on it, memory isn’t good when I’ve just started my second cup of coffee) to give yourself about a 62-64 gear in second. The only weaknesses to the bike are it’s primitive folding (use a strap to hold the folded bike together while carrying) and the weight. Both totally relatable to its age. At least it’s a solid frame when you’re cranking hard.

I’d done fifty mile rides on mine back in the day, although mine was a tad modified back then. I’d converted the hub using a three speed Benelux freewheel we had gathering dust at the shop, shifted with a Huret Allvit derailleur (I had this moral indignation that nothing Shimano or Sun Tour would touch the bike, it was British after all) giving me x 3x3x1 drivetrain, and a bit better hill climbing capability (Erie rose rapidly once you got south of 18th Street).

Still ride mine regularly as a commuter, although not as much as the first one was. Having an S5 hubbed Raleigh Sprite and a Raleigh Tourist competing for time does leave the Twenty gathering more dust than it should. And traveling with a bike stuffed in the van, my first generation Dahon is way lighter and more compact, even if it’s riding characteristics are somewhat inferior.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Last edited by sykerocker; 09-23-21 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Remove duplicate picture
Old 09-28-21, 08:40 AM
tjfastback66

Upon further inspection the R20 front axel has been "MODIFIED" by the PO. In a very Frankenstein way! It is a real treat because one side has the Raleigh threads and adjustable cone the other side has a different thread pattern with the fix cone WELDED!
If anyone out there has a source to acquire a 5/16 Raleigh threaded axel Please PM me if you could.

Old 09-28-21, 08:43 AM
tjfastback66

Nasty Weld Job!

Likes For tjfastback66:
Old 09-28-21, 01:04 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few