Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My not so nice adventure....

So Saturday weather was beautiful... decided to go ride E Chino Hills. Had a lovely route planned out in my mind, about 25 miles, 2800' of climbing... was feeling good... so I ride out to the bottom of Faultline and start to climb over to the top of Sidewinder. It was still really overgrown but I could see the trail so rode slowly, being cautious. At one of the whoop-de-doos, just at the top, the mustard grabbed my wheel and the bike started to toppled over, of course, toward the ravine; down the hill. It would have just been better to fall but instead I was able to get my right foot out of the cleat and tried to stop my fall. It all went in slow motion, but I could see my leg falling underneath me, foot turned at a weird angle just as the full weight of my body came crashing down on the leg... I heard the "crack" and knew immediately something was broken.

So I laid there, pondering my fate; knew I was in the middle of no where; out of cell phone coverage. Hadn't seen anyone else out there. I had no choice but to walk out... long story short... was very difficult to do. I could take a step or two and had to stop because of pain. Plus the trail was uneven and on a edge so difficult to walk even without a bike and sprained ankle and broken leg. With about 100 yds to go to the main trail, there is steep whoop de doo which I knew was going to hurt and difficult to negotiate... finally I see another rider coming up the trail. I say "I am so glad to see you! I broke my leg and need help!" The rider looked disgusted and said "What can I do?" Obviously he didn't want to mess up his STRAVA run and was pissed I stopped his climb. He walked passed me and kept going. WTF!?@?@? Really!?

Eventually I made it to the main trail (it took me 1 1/2 hours to walk 1 1/2 miles) and was able to ride, in pain on the main rd to the Rolling M Ranger Station. No one there; no cell coverage. I had to ride up this steep little hill to the overlook where I was finally able to call a friend. My friend is God sent and a blessing and jumped right into action calling 911, the park rangers, arranging to meet and pick me up (once I was driven out of the park) and taking me to the hospital (BTW many times I don't take a cell phone with me - lesson learned will never ride again without the cell phone). At the hospital the fracture was confirmed - just below the knee. Thankfully the non-weight bearing bone. My worse injury is the ankle.

Reason for the long post.... gosh darnnit - never leave someone in need, never. At least try and make a call to 911; act, do something. I just can't imagine not caring so much for a fellow rider, just leaving them out in the middle of nowhere. For shame on that person... for shame.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Broken.jpg (102.7 KB, 49 views)

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 04-20-15 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-20-15, 09:56 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Very sorry to learn of your injuries. The bones will heal but the memory of the encounter with the uncaring cyclist will be with you for some time. I posted several months ago about sociopaths what I'd learned by reading "The Sociopath Next Door". The book was written by a psychologist, formerly on the staff of the Harvard medical school for many years, so she clearly knows what she is talking about. She informs the reader that one in twenty people are sociopaths and the principal characteristic of such people is a lack of empathy. Not all such people are serial killers but all serial killers are sociopaths. Mostly such people are manipulative and uncaring, which while not immediately dangerous can lead to dangerous situations, as you experienced. You are, mostly, among friends here.
Old 04-20-15, 10:12 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Hey.. sorry to hear this.
Exactly how did the mustard grab your wheel again?
Anyway... you must be a tuff woman to go out alone.
Now being a 'Senior Citizen' I have noticed these younger 'don't give a ****' guys, and I don't remember being this way. No wave, no "Howdy" no taking the hands off the bars...
They are just boys that haven't grown up.
Wishing you speedy recovery!
Old 04-20-15, 10:17 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Sorry to hear of your plight, and happy to know you are on the mend.

Kharma will catch up with that as&%#e for failure to render aid. I hope it happens in spades!
Old 04-20-15, 10:20 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I wish we knew this person's facebook username; it's time to unlike someone.
Old 04-20-15, 10:34 AM
jimxyz

Bikes: Baum Corretto - Felt F1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What fellow biker would not help another in need?! That sucks.
Old 04-20-15, 10:41 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Sorry to hear about your injury - you're tough, walking and riding out like that - well done!

As to that other rider, what a total jerk. There is no excuse not to render assistance in a situation like that!

Hope you heal quickly.
Old 04-20-15, 10:48 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Wow that sucks, glad you were able to get out. If he truly was doing a strava segment, you can just go on Flyby and see who passed you at that time =)
Old 04-20-15, 11:47 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Wow that sucks, glad you were able to get out. If he truly was doing a strava segment, you can just go on Flyby and see who passed you at that time =)
Hey good idea! I'll go check...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 04-20-15, 11:58 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
The rider looked disgusted and said "What can I do?" Obviously he didn't want to mess up his STRAVA run and was pissed I stopped his climb. He walked passed me and kept going. WTF!?@?@? Really!?
WOW! Just... wow. Did you get a picture of the clown? Time for some internet shaming. That's truly astounding. So much for the prevailing wisdom that roadies are a-holes and mountain bikers are much friendlier. Well I'm really flabbergasted that somebody would abandon you like that.

I hope you heal quickly!
Old 04-20-15, 11:59 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
finally I see another rider coming up the trail. I say "I am so glad to see you! I broke my leg and need help!" The rider looked disgusted and said "What can I do?" Obviously he didn't want to mess up his STRAVA run and was pissed I stopped his climb. He walked passed me and kept going. WTF!?@?@? Really!?
Absolutely unbelievable.

One might not always be able to help, but one can take a detour on a ride to make a phone call or act as 3rd leg walking down the hill.

And there is always another weekend for riding.
Old 04-20-15, 12:06 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
So sad...people here ( as in cars and trucks) stop and ask me if I need help when I stop just to take pics..

Because they see the bike laying down.

Old 04-20-15, 12:31 PM
snidely
Cycliste sérieux

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Karma is a ***** (for the guy that didn't help). On the plus side, no one can ever tell you to HTFU. Glad you made it out ok. Quick recovery wishes!
Old 04-20-15, 01:40 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Sometimes people just suck! Hope you get a speedy recovery!
Old 04-20-15, 01:57 PM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Wow! A fellow cyclist actually refused to help someone with a broken bone out there in the boonies? Really surprised beyond imagination.

I wish you a speedy recovery. And apart from carrying a cell phone, you might actually want to consider a riding buddy whenever you intend to ride in isolated/backwood areas without cell phone reception. If it were to be a head injury, for instance, then immediate help is kinda needed.
Old 04-20-15, 02:15 PM
LGHT

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow that's a horrible story glad you made it out ok.
Old 04-20-15, 03:13 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Heal well, Pam. Glad you're (relatively) OK.
Old 04-20-15, 06:51 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jed19

I wish you a speedy recovery. And apart from carrying a cell phone, you might actually want to consider a riding buddy whenever you intend to ride in isolated/backwood areas without cell phone reception. If it were to be a head injury, for instance, then immediate help is kinda needed.
My riding buddy stopped by at lunch to see how I am... this is exactly the same discussion we had... I will never again do an isolated trail by myself... I was scared with the hurt leg... head injury... can't imagine.

I "learned" alot of lessons on Saturday:

1) tell someone your planned route (I did do this)
2) carry a friggin charged up cell phone! (was a miracle I did that)
3) If the area is isolated; save it for another day.
4) When alone, don't take any risks;
5) If your brain tells you not a good idea (I had that thought when I saw how overgrown the singletrack was) don't do it;
6) and never assume someone will stop when you need help. Still unbelieveable the guy walked by... still can't believe how cold-hearted he was...

MY biggest problem is absolute boredom... I am not good at just sitting home...

Old 04-21-15, 10:25 AM
mwandaw
Half Fast

Bikes: A road bike and a tandem road bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
We need to change your nickname to "Nails", because you're tough as nails. I can only imagine how tough it must have been to get out of there on your own. Good job!

...MY biggest problem is absolute boredom... I am not good at just sitting home...
It seems like you're already feeling better You're probably what one of my friends calls a "tedia-phobe". I can relate to that!

Heal quickly!
Old 04-21-15, 12:51 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry to hear that Pam! The crash was tragic enough but the guy refusing to help you was beyond tragic; sub-human, really.

Now, when it comes to breaking bones, I specialize in collar bones, but I'm sure your leg and ankle are just as bad if not worse.

Hope you heal quickly but at least an athlete in great shape, like you, will heal more quickly than most! I'm tempted to tell you to stick to road cycling but . . .
1. That's dangerous too and
2. You're a mountain biker first and a road cyclist 2nd, so you wouldn't listen to me anyway!

Heal quickly and completely!

Rick / OCRR
Old 04-21-15, 01:23 PM
KenshiBiker

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On behalf of all road-only cyclists, please accept my apologies for the boorish, and dangerous behavior of that one individual. Glad you finally made it out, and hope you make a full and speedy recovery.
Old 04-21-15, 01:43 PM
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, that's messed up.
Old 04-21-15, 05:00 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
I just saw this. So sorry to hear of your injury. So glad you made it to help! That jerk will get his some day. Karma will B***H slap him some day.

Guess GMR will have to wait a tad longer for you to heal. Good thing it isn't going anywhere. I'll be ready when you are and we will make that hill ours.
Old 04-21-15, 05:10 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Heal well, and soon.
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 04-21-15, 06:52 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05

Guess GMR will have to wait a tad longer for you to heal. Good thing it isn't going anywhere. I'll be ready when you are and we will make that hill ours.
Funny... Kathy and I were seriously thinking of doing GMR Sunday... I messed that up!!! Hopefully maybe someday we can do it together!!!

PS Changed bandages today and wash the splint as it was getting funky... love the "cankel" and bruising...

Also Rick been there done that with the collarbone - broke twice now have titanium!

Also I had debated between doing the Upper SART on the road bike and riding my mountain bike... boy did I make the wrong choice!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cankel.jpg (70.4 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Pamestique; 04-21-15 at 06:56 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.