Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Apple TV, Wahoo Kickr and ERG Mode

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 01-02-21, 10:52 PM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts

POSTED THIS ON THE INDOOR RIDING FORUM AS WELL .....BUT ADDED HERE TO SEE IF I CAN GET AN ANSWER

So here is an issue that I am having:

Trainer: Wahoo Kickr Core (acquired in summer of 2020, but first used in November 2020)
Zwift Application: Apple TV
Connected Automatically:
  • Power
  • Cadence
  • Control

Not Connected: HRM (which is because I have an old Garmin Ant+ (no blue tooth, which is expected).

Problem:
I cannot get ERG mode to work with the Zwift App on Apple TV. When I reviewed this, it seems to indicate that there is an ERG "On/Off" switch if you swipe up that will show up on the App. However, there is NO ERG button on the App that shows up when I swipe.

When I switch to ERG using the Wahoo App on my iPhone (which controls the Wahoo Kickr Core), it does initially move to the dedicated power, but then in about 5 - 10 seconds, immediately goes back to a simulated mode.

Can someone help me as to how to trouble shoot this? Is this an Apple TV App issue? A Wahoo issue? My trainer is supposed to allow for ERG mode when interfaced with the Zwift app. I am getting frustrated with the inability to set it to ERG so I can enjoy the app without the sudden swings in wattage (which is one of the few advantages over riding outside).
Old 01-03-21, 08:18 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
Which Wahoo app are you using? The Wahoo Utility app is where I enable ERG.
Old 01-03-21, 02:27 PM
Het Volk

Originally Posted by texbiker
Which Wahoo app are you using? The Wahoo Utility app is where I enable ERG.
I have two apps:

(a) Wahoo Fitness App, which controls 4 different trainer settings:
  • Level
  • Resistance
  • ERG
  • SIM
(b) Wahoo Element - not sure what this actually does except provide video of your ride.
Old 01-03-21, 04:46 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Het Volk
I have two apps:

(a) Wahoo Fitness App, which controls 4 different trainer settings:
  • Level
  • Resistance
  • ERG
  • SIM
(b) Wahoo Element - not sure what this actually does except provide video of your ride.
You need the Wahoo Utility app. It is a separate app from the ones you list.
Old 01-03-21, 05:45 PM
Het Volk

Originally Posted by texbiker
You need the Wahoo Utility app. It is a separate app from the ones you list.
Solution:

So I realized what was going wrong. And not sure that using when searching the web, this has popped up as the cause & solution. This could be specific to the Wahoo Kickr App as opposed to other smart trainers. When pairing the Kickr Core to Zwift, make sure to only pair:
  • Heart Rate (if you have a BT HR strap....otherwise it will not paid, but not a huge deal.
  • Power
  • Cadence
Do Not Pair the "Controllable" option. This control option historically has allowed you to control your smart trainer via the Zwift Companion App (on your phone). However, the Apple TV App is its own unique program compared to other Zwift apps for iOS, Android or PC. The Zwift Apple TV app does not allow you to control your trainer via the App itself. All it will do is run simulation mode.

Why this is actually not an issue
This actually is beneficial for Wahoo Kickr users, because it actually allows you to control the Wahoo Kickr and Zwift app via the Wahoo Fitness App. From there, Zwift will respond to whatever of the four (4) resistance levels you want to use:
  • Level - this is akin to using an old fashioned fan based resistance trainer, where the resistance increases as you increase pedal speed. Most road like feel if just riding without Zwift.
  • Resistance - this is most like your traditional spin bike, where you use the knob to set resistance against the flywheel
  • ERG - set a fixed wattage
  • SIM - without Zwift, allows you set your own set of variables including wind and grade. When using Zwift, Zwift will dictate the resistance based on the grade within the Zwift App.

However, if you set Controllable as something to pair, the Apple TV app will take over, but it does not allow ERG in the Apple TV App, and therefore, are stuck with just SIM only.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.. I solved this issue and hope this is something others find useful, since the Zwift Apple App appears to be designed differently when paired with a Wahoo Kickr or Kickr Core.
Old 06-06-21, 06:21 AM
tobi.kc@web.de

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about workouts im zwift?

Thank you so much. I've had issues with my kickr core / Apple tv set up for quite a while. Maybe you could help me: Which setting is necessary to do a zwift workout in erg mode? What needs to be chosen in the wahoo app?