Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dura ace brakes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Dura ace brakes

Old 01-15-21, 09:38 AM
rclouviere

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Dura ace brakes

Trying to upgrade to dura ace dura brakes from 105. I’ve found a great deal on 9120 shofters, but having a problem finding calipers. Are the 9170 calipers compatible? Or, are there 9120 calipers? Finally, , anyone know of a good deal on the appropriate caliper?

thanks, rick
Old 01-15-21, 09:48 AM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Yes, the BR-9170 calipers will work. You can also use the Ultegra BR-8070 calipers. The cheapest I've seen a BR-9170 set has been either used or on aliexpress.
Likes For upthywazzoo:
Old 01-15-21, 12:10 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
You don't specifically say what brake model you are getting, nor what specific model of 105 you currently have. Assuming you are talking about hydraulic disc brakes, then even the 105 ST-R7020 and STR7025 are compatible with the BR9170 Dura Ace disc brake and others.

So if you have 105 hydraulic levers, you might use them unless you truly feel you'll get some performance gain from Ultegra's or DuraAce models.
Old 01-15-21, 03:24 PM
rclouviere

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You don't specifically say what brake model you are getting, nor what specific model of 105 you currently have. Assuming you are talking about hydraulic disc brakes, then even the 105 ST-R7020 and STR7025 are compatible with the BR9170 Dura Ace disc brake and others.

So if you have 105 hydraulic levers, you might use them unless you truly feel you'll get some performance gain from Ultegra's or DuraAce models.
sorry, yeah, hydraulic brakes. One of The 105 levers are cracked and both rattle over bumps. Just put dura ace crankset on and would like it to match. I found a great deal on the 9120 levers but can’t find a reasonable price on the calipers.
Old 01-15-21, 03:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Shimano's got a compatibility chart. I think C-499 will tell you what you currently are asking.

https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/co...453&acid=C-499
Old 01-15-21, 03:52 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by rclouviere
sorry, yeah, hydraulic brakes. One of The 105 levers are cracked and both rattle over bumps. Just put dura ace crankset on and would like it to match. I found a great deal on the 9120 levers but can’t find a reasonable price on the calipers.
The best prices that I've found on hydro levers is when they have calipers bundled - have you checked out those out?

edit: I just looked - oof. The price on the Ultegra levers/calipers bundle is up $200 since I bought last year at this time. Ouch. Not seeing much on DA.

Last edited by WhyFi; 01-15-21 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-15-21, 04:16 PM
rclouviere

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The best prices that I've found on hydro levers is when they have calipers bundled - have you checked out those out?

edit: I just looked - oof. The price on the Ultegra levers/calipers bundle is up $200 since I bought last year at this time. Ouch. Not seeing much on DA.
yes, I’ve been looking. I found the levers for $399, and good prices in a couple places for the calipers, but they’re out of stock.

Last edited by rclouviere; 01-15-21 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 01-16-21, 08:24 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by rclouviere
yes, I’ve been looking. I found the levers for $399, and good prices in a couple places for the calipers, but they’re out of stock.
I ran into the same issue finding the DA 9170 calipers. My Ultegra shifters were replaced under warranty with a set of DA shifters. The original ultegra calipers were left on. The DA calipers were hard to find, and I couldn't find a good deal at all.

Google search turned up this, seems like a good deal and they are in stock.

https://glorycycles.com/shimano-dura...yABEgILjvD_BwE
Old 01-16-21, 08:55 AM
rclouviere

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
I ran into the same issue finding the DA 9170 calipers. My Ultegra shifters were replaced under warranty with a set of DA shifters. The original ultegra calipers were left on. The DA calipers were hard to find, and I couldn't find a good deal at all.

thanks for the reply. I bought the shifters from universal cycling for $399. Before even reading your response, i ordered the calipers from Glory! Great price; however, they said they are on back order until 1/31.

I follow several cycling Facebook marketplace posts and asked about them. Received many responses saying how great they are.
Old 01-17-21, 09:22 PM
rclouviere

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.

thanks. Yes, i ordered the calipers from glory; however, they say they won’t have them until 1/30.