Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

New Bike, More Watts?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

New Bike, More Watts?

Old 08-06-21, 02:44 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by kfried
The power increase is mostly there, and the RPE feels easier. But my heart rate data has basically returned to the previously expected range for a given power output. Right now I kind of feel caught between gears. One gear is slightly too easy and one gear is slightly too hard. I didn't have that perception before, so it might be a combination of the new frameset and a fresh clean/install of everything as well as just fitness gains. In the end....it's complicated. But this thread has been really helpful in checking off potential issues as well as shaping my thinking on how these things are related. Thanks!
​​​​​​I didn't catch whether you changed gearing, based on the bold I'm assuming not. But you said you went from 28s to 32s. So you've effectively put the entire bike in a slightly faster/harder gear. Wider tires are also taller, so one revolution of the crank pushes the bike further down the road.
Old 08-06-21, 05:21 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
I have dual sided Garmin Vector pedals on my Trek and on my indoor bike (Lemond Revmaster Spinner-type bike). I have noticed that on my road bike a L-R balance of 52%-48% would be typical. On my spinner bike (set up just like the road bike as best as I could) a typical L-R balance would be 48-52. It could be that one of my pedals is out of calibration but it is also possible that subtle changes in setup between bikes can change your L-R balance (I don't know this but it seems possible) and since you are only reading one pedal, that could possibly be one source of the power difference that you are seeing.

dave
Likes For DaveLeeNC:
Old 08-08-21, 06:47 PM
kfried

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​I didn't catch whether you changed gearing, based on the bold I'm assuming not. But you said you went from 28s to 32s. So you've effectively put the entire bike in a slightly faster/harder gear. Wider tires are also taller, so one revolution of the crank pushes the bike further down the road.
That is really interesting re: wider tires also being taller and the effect on the gearing. I never would have thought of that.
Old 08-10-21, 04:28 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by kfried
The power increase is mostly there, and the RPE feels easier. But my heart rate data has basically returned to the previously expected range for a given power output. Right now I kind of feel caught between gears. One gear is slightly too easy and one gear is slightly too hard. I didn't have that perception before, so it might be a combination of the new frameset and a fresh clean/install of everything as well as just fitness gains. In the end....it's complicated. But this thread has been really helpful in checking off potential issues as well as shaping my thinking on how these things are related. Thanks!
In this case you can rule out everything south of your crank arm where you are actually measuring your power output. It doesn't matter how much your frame flexes, or how clean your drivetrain is, or how much friction there is in your hubs. Power measured at the crank arm remains the same. It is not that complicated really. You might see some slight variation if your position on the new bike has improved (different saddle height, offset, reach etc). But if that's all very similar then you have simply got fitter with the combination of training and rest. Plus a bit of "new bike" motivation, which is not to be under-estimated! The only other possibility is that re-calibrating your power meter may have simply changed the readings from earlier. How often did you re-calibrate the power meter on your old bike? IME they are usually pretty consistent, but it is something to consider.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-14-21, 12:22 AM
Mosquitolt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It may be due, to different sitting position, maybe BB was tight on the old frame and other marginal gains. 20w difference is realistic I think.
Old 09-20-21, 04:33 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by Mosquitolt
It may be due, to different sitting position, maybe BB was tight on the old frame and other marginal gains. 20w difference is realistic I think.
Remember that he's measuring power directly at the crank arm, not at the rear hub. So it doesn't matter about how tight the BB was or any other marginal gains related to the bike drivetrain. I agree a more favourable position might give a little more power, but a 20W average increase is actually pretty big. It would have to be a much better position.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-08-21, 04:04 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Maybe the fit is better?