Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

cracked cranks are fun.

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

cracked cranks are fun.

Old 09-08-21, 08:37 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
cracked cranks are fun.

I had thought once in awhile I felt my peddle was not quite right but then I checked it was fine. but today when I was sprinting across the street it was really off. checked the peddle seemed fine but tried again really off. I finally found out why the crank arm is cracked. this is on my bosch bike. I wonder if it is the really big peddles for my big feet or that sometimes I can put put 600 to 700 watts for a really short burst or both? I was about 3 miles into my ride home when I found it. only a couple of miles from the ebike shop I bought the bike from. well I went there and told them it was a isis spline and they thought they gave me the right arm out of their junk box. I go back to work as I have a crank puller there. try to take the crank off discover I am missing the washer on stye crank puller so it wont work. lucky I have another shop about 4 blocks from my shop ride there get the crank off and find it is the wrong one. s oI( put it back on and carefully ride home in turbo not putting much pressure on the right crank. of course thats the crank I stand on when starting so its awkward.
I should be able to rise but I wont get a workout now. new arms are like 65.00 but I spent 30.00 for overnight shipping. this is the same arm on our tandem when we crashed look how much it bent. never crashed my regular bike worst case it fell over on that side once.

Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 09-09-21, 09:17 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 448 Posts
Mileage on this e-bike?
Old 09-09-21, 09:48 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by cat0020
Mileage on this e-bike?
11000 right now. i don't really stand up a few times but thats it. but I can peak out at 700 watts when filling really good. I can ride it with the assist cranked up and mostly using my left foot. starting out is hard since I always use my right foot. so I ahve to sue my left. bought these guys same as on my tandem. but paid the 30.00 to get them overnight. https://praxiscycles.com/product/alloy-ecranks/
Old 09-09-21, 10:05 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Wow!!!

You'd think that E-Bike cranks would be under a little less stress than other bikes. But, perhaps it also means you're always ready to push out a few extra watts.

I'm glad there wasn't a crash.

I hope it goes back together easily.
Old 09-09-21, 10:29 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Wow!!!

You'd think that E-Bike cranks would be under a little less stress than other bikes. But, perhaps it also means you're always ready to push out a few extra watts.

I'm glad there wasn't a crash.

I hope it goes back together easily.
it was surprising after looking at the bent one on the tandem. I think it has had a crank for maybe a month since once in awhile the peddle felt off. I was hoping the bike shop that replaced the cranks on our tandem would have saved the right one but nope not in the box. I would ahve upgraded them anyway just in case. but at least I can ride with most effort on my left foot. I don't get much exercise since I have to crank the assist level up. so its better then riding the bus.
Old 09-09-21, 03:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
Yeeeesh, that is rough. I am about to hit 1k and while my cranks are a bit scratched they are still unbent and I hope they remain that way, FSA cranks currently but I am looking at shorter options and like the color range on the Hope stuff and love the fact it comes out of their factory in Barnoldswick like Paul in the U.S.
Old 09-09-21, 03:23 PM
fooferdoggie 

I wonder if it is my huge peddle that put strain on it? these are big. https://pedalinginnovations.com/?gcl...4aAmS2EALw_wcB
\man my left knee is getting tired even in turbo and only putting out about 79 watts average less then half of my usual its getting tired.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 09-09-21 at 05:21 PM.