Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Your first Mountain bike

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Your first Mountain bike

Old 09-25-21, 04:57 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,888 Times in 1,646 Posts

1984 Bianchi Grizzly (not my photo), bought new with my bike shop employee discount.
Old 10-10-21, 07:53 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
I don’t quite remember. A Bridgestone MB-3 maybe. We were selling Mountain Bikes the brand about 1981, Cannondale came in with goofy BMX caliper brakes on their first bikes. I got an aluminum Breezer frame n ‘91.
Old 10-10-21, 08:05 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by The Outlier
I don't know the exact year that mountain bikes became popular, but the first mountain bike I ever saw (and owned) was a Western Flyer Grizzly. It was the epitome of generic, but back then I didn't know what generic was. Evidently Western Flyer bought up other bikes and put their name on them- at least that's what one expert told me. I can't even find a picture of it online to confirm its existence, but you can believe me that it existed. After ramping so many times, the handle bars caved in (That was probably the last time I ramped anything). It was then that I bought a Trek. But The black and green Western Flyer had served its purpose. It got me into biking and survived the Katy Trail in Missouri.

What was your first mountain bike?
Originally Posted by Yamato72
Don't laugh:

I bought this at Sears in 2000 and within 2 years had replaced the wheels, BB, derailleurs and brakes/shifters with Deore LX. The only reason it has survived under my bulk all these years is because the frame is so heavy and tough. It's some kind of alloy. The fork is some kind of cheap, non-adjustable knock-off that has somehow held together all these years. I have kept it tuned up and ridden trails with it just about every year since 2000.

It is wearing cruiser tires in this pic because I put 700 miles on it this summer training for a bike tour before I saved enough money for a road bike. I would like to put knobbies back on it this fall and have a little bit more fun on the trails before I (hopefully) get a decent MTB next spring.
This frame is a keeper! Never saw this one. Love the look. Sears!
Old 10-10-21, 08:11 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life
First real mountain bike was a 1984 Fuji Mt. Fuji, bought in 1994 at a pawn shop for $125. It was stolen in 2007 damn it.

Prior to that, a C-Ito 10 speed, a few 50's 60's Schwinn, a Stingray knock-off ... this was in the late 60's early 70's, before mountain bikes were invented, so my friends and I rode what we had through the woods and such.
I remember seeing C-Itoh in a Mervyns toy department when I was a kid and I looked it over so carefully that I still remember it well. It had some sort of Shimano mega range climbing gear on the freewheel cassette that somehow called out to me. Alas, I never bought it, no money, and it was probably too big for me, but when it disappeared I was depressed.
Old 10-10-21, 08:25 PM
Sorcerer

My first ATB was a 1986 Diamond Back Topanga. I put slicks on it to commute with. Did some trail riding and then bought a cheap pink Reflex (bonded aluminum tubes to lugs) from a mail order place which got me into real riding. Did stuff in the Canyon Lands National Park and the Wasatch on it etc. Then I realized it was too big, and I got a Lotus mail-order bike with Sun Tour Express push-push shifters.

Kept selling the old ones on consignment at a local shop.

The shifters died, and then I got a steel Ross drop bar, dare I say gravely bike 700c bike which I rode for years until the fork broke off under me.

Then I got a yellow Giant Cadex with Suntour XC pro micro drive and I was hitting the big time single tracks on it. Put a 110 travel Manitou on it eventually and raced a bit. Then it got stolen.

Then I got an early carbon frame and the brake posts broke off in the rear, and that was warranted a funded a titanium hardtail in 1996 which I still ride a lot.

These were my first mountain bikes.
Old 10-10-21, 08:50 PM
rje58_too

Bikes: 2019 Trek FX2; 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0; 1997 Trek 830 (converted to hybrid); 1992 Trek 800 Antelope

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor
This was my first 'mountain bike' - - took me up a few mountains in the day.
Yep, my first trail bike was a Honda SL125!

Why are they called "mountain" bikes, when 90%+ of the time they are ridden on trails, not mountains?
Old 10-19-21, 08:29 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp. Under chainstay U brake, all steel.I believe it was all Deore components. Heavy as all get out and quite expensive for the day. I wish I still had it.
Old 10-19-21, 10:04 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts

Not mine but it was this. 1993 Trek 930SHX in Electric Plum. I had mine with Deore brake levers and thumbshifters from the start though. Tough bike, saved all my nickels and dimes for it. Got it at age 14 from a shop I would work only one winter for.
Old 10-26-21, 11:16 AM
NikolasFarrel

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Mountain bike, I am faced with the choice of which one to buy. I look at who is riding or riding on what and my eyes diverge. I want to go with friends to the mountains to ride so that there would be a lot of experience, but I can not choose amateur eh