Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Anyone Know Of Or Used "The Tool Grinder?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-22, 11:17 AM
Steve_sr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts

Hello,

Do any of you know or possible have used a business known as "The Tool Grinder"? The "Tool Grinder" sharpens bike frame specific tooling. I am trying to get in contact with Jim Kish, the owner. His website is still up here:

https://kishbike.com/

However, he isn't responding to phone messages or emails. Do any of you know how to contact him or know if he moved and where to.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 11-30-22, 02:19 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
A few, or more, years ago I read of Jim's getting out of the sharpening business. But I had no reason to seek him out at that time so didn't do more than file away that note. IIRC he sharpened my Campy cutters way back in the mid 1990s (and did a great job, BTW). Now back in the industrial rust belt I have a couple of tool sharpening shops local to me that have done bike cutters before. Andy.
Old 11-30-22, 07:02 PM
Steve_sr

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
A few, or more, years ago I read of Jim's getting out of the sharpening business. But I had no reason to seek him out at that time so didn't do more than file away that note. IIRC he sharpened my Campy cutters way back in the mid 1990s (and did a great job, BTW). Now back in the industrial rust belt I have a couple of tool sharpening shops local to me that have done bike cutters before. Andy.
He is also within 30 miles and would be a good resource for my current frame issue. Unfortunately, I didn't know he existed until after I ordered my bike from out west. He also put up one blog post that he was shutting down the bike business because he couldn't get parts to complete bikes due to the pandemic. I don't see that post anymore. The website now has a pop-up that talks about relocating the Tool Grinder sometime in 2022. So it is unclear if he is still in the area.