Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

So what was today's protest about?

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Old 07-12-22, 09:48 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 77 Posts

???
Old 07-12-22, 10:17 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Old 07-12-22, 12:20 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
Only 989 days left until the end of the world due to CC. Better get cracking.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 07-12-22, 12:34 PM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 77 Posts
Found it. https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling/...ange-activists
Old 07-12-22, 12:53 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
They were doing this in earlier races right at the finish line with a person or two. Climate and animal activist. Love to see them up the anté and get on an ebike and pace the groupetto
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 07-12-22, 07:46 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
You can be as flippant as you want about protests, but this one has a serious motive. The Tour de France may be a bike race, but it has a huge carbon footprint. All the support vehicles and the pre race caravan make this protest look as if it makes sense. Riding a bike is pretty carbon neutral but a caravan of following cars sort of goes the wrong way
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 07-12-22, 08:46 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,072 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
You can be as flippant as you want about protests, but this one has a serious motive. The Tour de France may be a bike race, but it has a huge carbon footprint. All the support vehicles and the pre race caravan make this protest look as if it makes sense. Riding a bike is pretty carbon neutral but a caravan of following cars sort of goes the wrong way
It's tempting to look at this in isolation, but what if you compare the carbon footprint on the roads on the day the Tour passes through to the week beforey? What about carbon output in France as a whole? If a few million people stay home to watch the race rather than driving around, that might more than offset the caravan and the spectators. Granted, we should all aspire to do better wherever we are able, but targeting a bicycle race isn't likely to generate much goodwill. Let them shut down Bitcoin mines for their insane and destructive business model. I might actually support a group that did that.

Last edited by USAZorro; 07-12-22 at 08:49 PM.
Likes For USAZorro:
Old 07-13-22, 04:58 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
It's tempting to look at this in isolation, but what if you compare the carbon footprint on the roads on the day the Tour passes through to the week beforey? What about carbon output in France as a whole? If a few million people stay home to watch the race rather than driving around, that might more than offset the caravan and the spectators. Granted, we should all aspire to do better wherever we are able, but targeting a bicycle race isn't likely to generate much goodwill. Let them shut down Bitcoin mines for their insane and destructive business model. I might actually support a group that did that.
I was going to say something along these lines but you said it better.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 07-13-22, 12:03 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
I assume the race brings in a ton of business too. The carbon footprint isn't for nothing.
Old 07-21-22, 11:58 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
No reason why ASO couldn't insist upon electric vehicles. Seeing Skoda e-cars have mileage ratings into the low 500s (Km), should be plenty for one stage + use.
Way too many motorcycles... certainly keep the key support, marshalling, etc. But NBC could lose Robbie Hunter, the whole moto reporter thing is lame. And photog motos could also be in a more limited fashion.
And ASO could insist that the caravan also use electric vehicles...
As for the million people who stay home to watch... they'll quickly enough make up the lost driving time in a day or so.
?No thoughts on the huge amount of roadside fans, their vehicles, caravans and would they be doing this normally (without the TDF stage ...) ?
Yeah, there's a lot which could prolly be done if there was thought and consideration given to the need...
The planet is need of humans doing EVERYTHING we can possibly do - to include things like The TDF.
KUDOS to the protestors for bringing it up. ANd maybe some of us bringing the matter further attention to ASO, with comments on how things can change; and need change.
Ride On
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 07-22-22 at 12:02 AM.