Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Frame Material

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Frame Material

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-22, 12:34 AM
SteelyMan

Bikes: Steel is for real!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Frame Material

Hi I’m interested in having a fixed gear frame custom made. I’m 6’6” and currently 220lbs. Stand over tight to my crotch is 36”+ a touch. I want steel because I like how it rides. I was given options and don’t know what would be optimal. In addition to my weight I often have up to ten pounds +- on my back. 20 mile rides typical. I mash up long hills often out of the saddle. 49:15 gear ratio. I take care of my bikes but don’t want them being fragile either. I just ride I’m not into tricks I just like riding fixed.

Columbus Cromor
“ Zona
” Life Os
” Max
Im pretty certain I don’t want Max as I like how old steel lugged road bikes look (round tubes)
What should I pick and why?

thx for anybodys insight and input
🤙🏽

Last edited by SteelyMan; 09-16-22 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-16-22, 02:11 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
At your size and weight I would go traditional "single oversize" (so 1 1/4" DT, 1 1/8" TT), with wall thickness around 0.8/0.5/0.8 which would be Zona. Cromor would also be fine-- it's usually 0.9/0.6/0.9.

The only difference between the two is that Cromor starts from a welded tube rather than a solid billet giving it a little bit less strength. But it's mainly product differentiation-- Reynolds will sell you a 525 tube (exactly the same as Cromor) with thinner walls.

Life is a slightly better alloy and you can get it even more oversized. But for the feel of a steel bike I wouldn't go more than 1 1/4" / 1 1/8". Traditional size (1" TT, 1 1/8" DT) might be a bit too noodly in such a big frame size.

The first frame I built was a Cromor fixer in standard sizing (I'm only 6'0). It rides beautifully.
Likes For guy153:
Old 09-16-22, 09:18 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Have you selected a builder yet? Most builders will work with you on the tubeset that matches your needs and riding style. I've talked to some builders who get frustrated when a client has made these decisions before hand. It's comparable to you telling a chef what ingredients to use, it's a part of their process.

That being said, understanding the various tubes when making that decision is helpful.
Old 09-16-22, 02:12 PM
SteelyMan

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
Have you selected a builder yet? Most builders will work with you on the tubeset that matches your needs and riding style. I've talked to some builders who get frustrated when a client has made these decisions before hand. It's comparable to you telling a chef what ingredients to use, it's a part of their process.

That being said, understanding the various tubes when making that decision is helpful.

I’ve been wanting an Ave Maldea frame. I was communicating with a rep who could translate and not with Ave himself. I kinda thought as you stated that given my circumstances with regard to preferred style of riding and my size that would sort of choose the ideal frame material.

Thx for response
Old 09-16-22, 02:15 PM
SteelyMan

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
At your size and weight I would go traditional "single oversize" (so 1 1/4" DT, 1 1/8" TT), with wall thickness around 0.8/0.5/0.8 which would be Zona. Cromor would also be fine-- it's usually 0.9/0.6/0.9.

The only difference between the two is that Cromor starts from a welded tube rather than a solid billet giving it a little bit less strength. But it's mainly product differentiation-- Reynolds will sell you a 525 tube (exactly the same as Cromor) with thinner walls.

Life is a slightly better alloy and you can get it even more oversized. But for the feel of a steel bike I wouldn't go more than 1 1/4" / 1 1/8". Traditional size (1" TT, 1 1/8" DT) might be a bit too noodly in such a big frame size.

The first frame I built was a Cromor fixer in standard sizing (I'm only 6'0). It rides beautifully.
Thank you I really appreciate that info. Exactly what I was looking for.

🤙🏽