Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

70 yo and starting over

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

70 yo and starting over

Old 09-30-22, 04:08 PM
don compton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Bike fit

Before I started a few weeks ago, I got a professional bike fit. I have used the guy years ago. I went in thinking that he would lower my saddle and raise my bars. He raised my saddle 11mm and moved it back 25mm. And he lowered my bars quite a bit, but shortened my stem 1cm. And also adjusted my cleats(Shimano). In the seven rides I have had no pain except my butt.Yesrerday the butt pain disappeared.
Old 10-10-22, 09:04 PM
don compton

Slowing improving

I finished a 20 mile ride ( in Zone 2 for you techies). The butt soreness is gone and that is a big step. I felt pretty good and I will repeat Wednesday( Monday, Wednesday, and Friday rides). My goal is to just build a good base and then I will work on some speed. I had mentioned earlier that I had a pretty good bike fit, saddle position, bar position, and cleat position on my shoes. No knee or back soreness(knock on wood).
Likes For don compton:
Old 10-12-22, 10:57 AM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Just remember you are doing better than most 70 years. 😀
Old 10-21-22, 07:47 PM
don compton

I had a wake up call. I have been riding 20 mile rides at a zone 2 pace ( 125-135 bpm for me). Monday of this week, I kicked it up to 135-140. I didn't have a problem on the ride, but Wednesday my legs were DEAD. I recovered and today, I went back to 125-135 and stayed in a lower gear and actually was able to ride the same speed. In my 50x21, I am comfortable riding 14.5 to 16 mph keeping my heart rate in the 125-135 zone. Towards the end I do a couple of higher speeds ( for a 70yo).
Bottom line, I need to keep my heart rate in the 125-135 zone and keep riding a lower gear and increase my spin rate. It's taking some time, but I am slowly accepting that when I get fitter, I will still riding quit a bit slower than I did 10-15 years ago.
Old 10-21-22, 11:05 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
Good stuff.

I'm still figuring out my recovery time. It's longer, that's for sure, and that's how I've fallen down the over-training well a couple times.
Old 10-22-22, 07:09 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by don compton
I had a wake up call. I have been riding 20 mile rides at a zone 2 pace ( 125-135 bpm for me). Monday of this week, I kicked it up to 135-140. I didn't have a problem on the ride, but Wednesday my legs were DEAD. I recovered and today, I went back to 125-135 and stayed in a lower gear and actually was able to ride the same speed. In my 50x21, I am comfortable riding 14.5 to 16 mph keeping my heart rate in the 125-135 zone. Towards the end I do a couple of higher speeds ( for a 70yo).
Bottom line, I need to keep my heart rate in the 125-135 zone and keep riding a lower gear and increase my spin rate. It's taking some time, but I am slowly accepting that when I get fitter, I will still riding quit a bit slower than I did 10-15 years ago.
I load my recorded rides into Golden Cheetah, the free ride analysis software for showing trends and details with a power meter. A couple of years ago, in the early spring, I felt "slow", "weak". Is this all I have? Am I too old? Will I be slow from now on? No. Looking at the previous year, it took most of the season to get back up to speed. I was fine by summer.

See how you are doing after 4 months, or in next year's warmer weather

(I go by power range now for setting a pace, instead of heart rate. But 10 years ago, my maintainable heart rate was the low 140s, now it's low 130s, maybe even less. I can still set some personal records on Strava at these lower heart rates.)
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 10-22-22, 07:45 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
73 here. I do what's comfortable for the speed I want to go. I have no idea how fast I'm spinning, and don't care.
Old 10-24-22, 02:18 PM
don compton

Getting better

I rode 26 miles at a zone 2 pace today. My butt is getting better. But, I also felt pretty good after the ride. I have changed my routine to 25+or- on Monday and Friday, and a short windsprint ride on Wednesday( warmup, 30sec sprints with cooldowns and only about 10 miles). I am still amazed how my new bike fit has worked out. No back or knee pain. My horrendously, bad back is tired after the rides, but no serious pain. A real accomplishment with Rotated Scoliosis, Arthritis, and multiple discs problems.My goal is ,by Spring, to be going 17+mph in my 50x19 in zone 2, and being able to ride in short periods at 20-23 mph without blowing up.

Last edited by don compton; 10-24-22 at 02:22 PM. Reason: correct