Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1982 Nishiki Cresta

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1982 Nishiki Cresta

Old 05-25-20, 12:25 PM
  #101  
Deerman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 53

Bikes: Steyr Waffenrad ('52, '62, '71, '72, '74), Cannondale (Saeco CAAD4, Criterium), Bianchi (Martini Racing mtb, RC SBX "weird"), Burco (transport, speciaal opa)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Stunning
Deerman is offline  
Old 07-13-20, 01:58 PM
  #102  
polymorphself 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,002
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 504 Posts
Saguaro Whats the front light you have here?
polymorphself is offline  
Old 07-13-20, 08:57 PM
  #103  
Saguaro
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Saguaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 580

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Cresta, 1991 Tommasini Competizione

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
Saguaro Whats the front light you have here?
polymorphself The front light is a Gemini Lights Duo 1500 Lumens. The two-cell rechargeable battery is located in one of the rider side pockets in the front bag with the cord hidden from view under the bag. Gemini offers a four-cell battery as well. https://gemini-lights.com/products/duo-1500-lumens

The light head is mounted to a custom bracket I made to fit to the front fender. This is a very bright light with three brightness settings. I purchased this before they came out with the cool handlebar mounted wireless control.

Like the other accessories on the bike, it was chosen for its performance and aesthetics, it just works.
Saguaro is offline  
Old 07-13-20, 10:02 PM
  #104  
polymorphself 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,002
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Saguaro
polymorphself The front light is a Gemini Lights Duo 1500 Lumens. The two-cell rechargeable battery is located in one of the rider side pockets in the front bag with the cord hidden from view under the bag. Gemini offers a four-cell battery as well. https://gemini-lights.com/products/duo-1500-lumens

The light head is mounted to a custom bracket I made to fit to the front fender. This is a very bright light with three brightness settings. I purchased this before they came out with the cool handlebar mounted wireless control.

Like the other accessories on the bike, it was chosen for its performance and aesthetics, it just works.
Thanks! The wireless control is incredible.
polymorphself is offline  
Old 02-28-22, 08:55 AM
  #105  
Duke of Prunes
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 28

Bikes: '85 Miyata 610; '84 Trek 610; '81 Super Le Tour; '84 Sekai 3000; '81 Lotus Eclair

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for clarifying...

Originally Posted by Cynikal
Beautiful build! Just posted this in the Vintage Touring Thread below yours. Mine is an 85 and not in touring mode but more town bike mode.

I thought the Crestas had cantilever brakes, but apparently not the earlier '82 (I recall an' 82 Miyata 610 I refurbed also had side-pulls)
Duke of Prunes is offline  
Likes For Duke of Prunes:
Old 02-28-22, 09:25 AM
  #106  
Cynikal 
Team Beer
 
Cynikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 6,338

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Duke of Prunes
I thought the Crestas had cantilever brakes, but apparently not the earlier '82 (I recall an' 82 Miyata 610 I refurbed also had side-pulls)
I found out since posting a few years ago that this is an 84, not an 85. It does have cantis and is built for 27" wheels.
__________________
I'm not one for fawning over bicycles, but I do believe that our bikes communicate with us, and what this bike is saying is, "You're an idiot." BikeSnobNYC
Cynikal is offline  
Old 06-20-22, 01:10 AM
  #107  
polymorphself 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,002
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Saguaro

Photos from yesterday's 70 mile ride:
I did it:
polymorphself is offline  
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 06-26-22, 06:30 PM
  #108  
Saguaro
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Saguaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 580

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Cresta, 1991 Tommasini Competizione

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
I did it:
Awesome! In June no less. The Voyageur looks great. I need to get back out there, it’s been awhile…
Saguaro is offline  
Old 06-27-22, 12:20 PM
  #109  
polymorphself 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,002
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Saguaro
Awesome! In June no less. The Voyageur looks great. I need to get back out there, it’s been awhile…
Was end of April actually haha, but still a warm one!
polymorphself is offline  
Old 06-27-22, 12:59 PM
  #110  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,233
Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3,030 Times in 1,870 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
I found out since posting a few years ago that this is an 84, not an 85. It does have cantis and is built for 27" wheels.
No, it is a 1985 model. That logo font was only used for the 1985 model year. Also, the 1984 version used band mounted shift levers, as opposed to the brazed-on style employed on your bicycle. I suspect the confusion may be related to a serial number that indcates manufacture during the 1984 calendar year. Manufacturers typically start building the new models around September, so there would be lots of 1985 models with 1984 serial numbers.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 06-27-22, 02:35 PM
  #111  
Cynikal 
Team Beer
 
Cynikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 6,338

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
No, it is a 1985 model. That logo font was only used for the 1985 model year. Also, the 1984 version used band mounted shift levers, as opposed to the brazed-on style employed on your bicycle. I suspect the confusion may be related to a serial number that indcates manufacture during the 1984 calendar year. Manufacturers typically start building the new models around September, so there would be lots of 1985 models with 1984 serial numbers.

Thanks T-Mar, That is super helpful.
__________________
I'm not one for fawning over bicycles, but I do believe that our bikes communicate with us, and what this bike is saying is, "You're an idiot." BikeSnobNYC
Cynikal is offline  
Old 08-26-23, 05:05 PM
  #112  
retlaw53 
Volunteer wrench
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: Arizona
Posts: 62

Bikes: 1971 Schwinn Suburan, 1971 Peugoet UO8, 1984 Nishiki Cresta, 1984 Nishiki Olympic, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport, 1996 Waterford 1250, 2018 Cannondale Synaspe Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Saguaro
The first thing I did was disassemble the bike down to the frame and fork. It then got a wipe down with a soft damp cloth. After the initial cleaning, I applied an automotive paste wax, let it dry, and then buffed it out. The paste wax has mild abrasives that remove the film that builds up over time and obscures the paint finish. In my case, the project went on hold for about three months while I saved up to buy parts. During that three month period, I carefully and repeatedly buffed the frame and fork with a soft cotton cloth. I reapplied the paste wax several times and buffed it out again, by hand. You just have to be persistent and inspect the finish for flaws as you go with a critical eye and in good light.
I have the same Cresta and am in the process of restoring it. I used automotive polishing compound to clean it as it is also mildly abrasive. It was surprising how well it worked. The frame is gun metal grey. I just ordered red cable housing. At the crossroads of doing an OEM restoration or a cold set to 130mm and using a 105 10spd group that's gathering dust...decisions, decisions.
retlaw53 is offline  
Likes For retlaw53:
Old 08-28-23, 12:27 PM
  #113  
polymorphself 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,002
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by retlaw53
I have the same Cresta and am in the process of restoring it. I used automotive polishing compound to clean it as it is also mildly abrasive. It was surprising how well it worked. The frame is gun metal grey. I just ordered red cable housing. At the crossroads of doing an OEM restoration or a cold set to 130mm and using a 105 10spd group that's gathering dust...decisions, decisions.
Personally I see no use in OEM restorations for bikes that aren't very specific/niche/collectible/old etc. Touring bikes, especially, are asking to be upgraded/tampered with/customized. If 130mm is what you want, you're going to do it whether it's now or a year from now after having already put time and effort into the OEM path. So just do it now!
polymorphself is offline  
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 09-08-23, 03:59 PM
  #114  
retlaw53 
Volunteer wrench
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: Arizona
Posts: 62

Bikes: 1971 Schwinn Suburan, 1971 Peugoet UO8, 1984 Nishiki Cresta, 1984 Nishiki Olympic, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport, 1996 Waterford 1250, 2018 Cannondale Synaspe Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
Personally I see no use in OEM restorations for bikes that aren't very specific/niche/collectible/old etc. Touring bikes, especially, are asking to be upgraded/tampered with/customized. If 130mm is what you want, you're going to do it whether it's now or a year from now after having already put time and effort into the OEM path. So just do it now!
I cold set the rear to 130mm and am moving forward with a 2x10 drive train and Fulcrum Race wheels with 700X35 gravel tires I had hanging in the garage. It looks like there's enough clearance for 700X40s.
retlaw53 is offline  
Likes For retlaw53:
Old 09-09-23, 09:12 AM
  #115  
polymorphself 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,002
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by retlaw53
I cold set the rear to 130mm and am moving forward with a 2x10 drive train and Fulcrum Race wheels with 700X35 gravel tires I had hanging in the garage. It looks like there's enough clearance for 700X40s.
Awesome! 700x40 with fenders or are you going fenderless? Also, funny enough, me, you and the OP are all in Arizona.
polymorphself is offline  
Old 09-09-23, 09:44 AM
  #116  
retlaw53 
Volunteer wrench
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: Arizona
Posts: 62

Bikes: 1971 Schwinn Suburan, 1971 Peugoet UO8, 1984 Nishiki Cresta, 1984 Nishiki Olympic, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport, 1996 Waterford 1250, 2018 Cannondale Synaspe Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
Awesome! 700x40 with fenders or are you going fenderless? Also, funny enough, me, you and the OP are all in Arizona.
For now, no fenders. That's is funny! I've had a house in AZ for 10 years and live here full time since 12/2020
retlaw53 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
due ruote
Classic & Vintage
17
02-06-13 07:31 AM
VegBiker
Classic & Vintage
10
08-09-11 11:14 AM
jeffree59
Classic & Vintage
9
08-06-10 05:17 PM
hartleymartin
Classic & Vintage
6
07-26-10 11:57 AM
mtmann
Classic & Vintage
34
01-13-10 11:27 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.