Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Getting to a business or social event

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-20, 07:33 PM
CatJim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wasn't sure if here or commuting was a better place. I chose hear as it isn't a regular commute.

Does anyone have tips for getting to a business or social event? Basically, how do you not show up needing a shower to a date or a company happy hour or similar?

Also part of it would be securing something like a laptop while you are at the event?
Old 07-18-20, 12:57 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Hi CatJim , don't worry about it, with minimum higiene you'll do just fine
Put your laptop in a backpack and have it with you. That will always be the safest way to carry a laptop.
Old 07-19-20, 11:23 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Totally depends on the time of year, location, and distance you need to travel.

Laptop is easy - I just keep mine in a messenger bag. If you're worried about fashion, there are some fairly professional-looking messenger bags suitable for people of all genders. It's no different than someone who carries a big purse around an event.

If it's hot or I'm traveling a significant distance, I'll carry formal clothes/shoes in my messenger bag, get to the venue early, change, and wipe off in the bathroom with witch hazel. Short distances and/or cooler weather are no big deal; I just ride in normal clothes, or, if it's a bit of a ride, I'll wear some liner shorts under my normal clothes. Again, the approach depends in part on the venue and location. Happy hour at a bar in the rural Midwest is gonna look different from a fine-dining date in an East Coast city.
Old 07-20-20, 01:06 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
In the summer you may need to take a taxi or public transport.
Old 07-22-20, 02:53 PM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
It can be done.
Old 07-22-20, 07:46 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Long ago, as a g.i., used a folding, hanging bag. As an educator, fold shirt lengthwise, lay on similarly folded pants, and rolled from bottom to top, placed in pannier/rack luggage. Birdbath in the water closet while changing... good to go.
Old 07-23-20, 11:31 AM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Here in Florida, where is hot this time of year, I would just leave my bike here in the office (locked up in my actual office), catch a ride with someone else to the venue then Uber/Lyft back to the office. If it's closer to home, I go home first, get ready and either drive the family jeep or get a ride another way (Uber/Lyft) from there. We have no public transport to speak of here.
Old 07-26-20, 10:44 PM
Retfor

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
one word: ebike.
Old 08-02-20, 03:09 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by CatJim
I wasn't sure if here or commuting was a better place. I chose hear as it isn't a regular commute.

Does anyone have tips for getting to a business or social event? Basically, how do you not show up needing a shower to a date or a company happy hour or similar?

Also part of it would be securing something like a laptop while you are at the event?
Originally Posted by noisebeam
In the summer you may need to take a taxi or public transport.
I’m a decades-long year-round commuter, 14 miles one way, here in Metro Boston. In my job I work pretty much solo, dressed in surgical scrubs, and I clean up before I leave home, so day-to-day presentation is no big deal.

However, if I need to get to an IMPORTANT business function, or social event, sometimes work-related, even black tie, I’ll just take more conventional transportation, because if I ride, I ride hard.

I have posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… My cycling reputation, mundane as my cycling might be to the hard-core cyclists, is always a source of amusement and conversation with my friends and acquaintances; e.g. in bad weather, “You didn’t ride your bike today, did you?,” or at fancy social events, “Did you ride your bike here?.Always asked with amusement and respect.
in fact when my wife and I go dancing dressed to the nines, we could take a subway, but prefer to drive.

If an event is important enough to be concerned with appearance, cycling just adds another hassle to attendance, and a perfunctory bathroom cleanup is not sufficient for me to feel comfortable.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-02-20 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-11-20, 08:39 PM
curieux88

Bikes: 1999 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Lemond Fillmore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
things like uber or public transit. I'm (soon to be) committed to living car free. It does not mean I will never use automobiles. It simply means I will never own a car. I'm still down to use uber/taxi/PB, and rent a car, if necessary.