Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

What makes you (want to) grab the ebike?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

What makes you (want to) grab the ebike?

Old 07-27-20, 07:32 AM
jayhawk12

Bikes: electric bike plus another bike. Previously had a little bike shop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
When I don't want to get too hot and sweaty or when I'm carrying stuff from stores, I grab the ebike. Sometimes when I'm just tired and want to go exploring and just fun.
Otherwise, I use the regular bike-- eg for riding with friends, training rides, etc.
Old 08-08-20, 11:15 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
I was working up my daily long climb and spied an e-bike throttling up and over. Pretty cool.
Old 08-09-20, 10:26 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I haven't been riding much for the last few years and my fitness has taken a hit. I can ride by road bike for 15 miles before I start to feel the lack of fitness. I finally got my e-bike back after 6 months and I was excited to ride. Three 25 mile rides yesterday and 40 miles today. The e-bike allowed me to increase my "range." It doesn't take as much planning to ride the e-bike. Throw whatever you can think of into the panniers to make your ride enjoyable. When I take my road bike out for a ride, I'm extremely conscientious about what I'm going to take with me due to the weight.
Likes For InTheRain:
Old 09-08-20, 12:38 PM
hugorodrigo23

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
I have 2 very nice commuter bikes, a Sirrus X 5.0 and a Turbo Vado. I ride the Sirrus 3 or 4 days of the week, and I reserve the Vado for the days after I train legs at the gym to give myself a break to recover. On weekends I take my road bike to longer rides, and if a need to go anywhere else later that day, I ride the Vado.
Old 09-08-20, 05:03 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
My ebike is a recent addition so tend to grab it more than the other bikes. Like someone said it has the most upright riding position so I prefer it for that reason.

The really great thing is I'm rehabilitating from a hip injury so the ebike is a Godsend in case I bonk and need help getting home.

Funny you mention car repairs. I once strapped a leaking radiator on the rear rack of my road bike to take it to the shop. That looked pretty ridiculous but it got the job done.
Old 05-05-21, 11:00 PM
cj3209

Bikes: Pinarello; Canyon; Lauf

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
I am lucky to have a 2 ebikes: one for gravel and one for the road. I take the road one when I am exploring new road routes. I take the gravel one when I am exploring new gravel-related routes. Simple. When I know the route, I take the 'analog' version of the bike.
Old 05-06-21, 08:16 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
Load capacity.
I bought my cargo e-bike off Alibaba back in OCT 2020, it was delivered in FEB 2021.
I use it for transporting large volume of left over foods from schools to homeless shelter in Brooklyn.
I used to ride a IC scooter for the job; but with a e-bike, no registration, no license, no insurance required and I get to park the e-bike anywhere.
Old 05-06-21, 07:43 PM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
No choice

Due to health issues I have 3 very nice classic bikes that now just hang in the garage. My go to bike is now one of three ebikes. It is great that I can continue to enjoy riding.
Old 05-09-21, 01:31 AM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Pridedog
Due to health issues I have 3 very nice classic bikes that now just hang in the garage. My go to bike is now one of three ebikes. It is great that I can continue to enjoy riding.
3 e-bikes? Wow. So you switch between each of them then?
Old 05-09-21, 02:05 AM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by cj3209
I am lucky to have a 2 ebikes: one for gravel and one for the road. I take the road one when I am exploring new road routes. I take the gravel one when I am exploring new gravel-related routes. Simple. When I know the route, I take the 'analog' version of the bike.
Gotta love the 'analog' bikes still very much, yeah :-)

It is a bit strange that some people – young people too – are now hesitant to ride a regular bicycle out of fear (fatigue). Because an e-bike / battery gives them a safe and secure feeling.

I own an e-bike and of course I have to use the battery regularly to keep it in good working condition. But I rarely drive constantly with support.
Old 05-09-21, 06:37 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I like using the ebike for liquor store runs, makes me look like an alcoholic who lost his license.

Had my hip replaced in December, so the ebike was the go to bike while rehabbing. It was nice having the assist to keep from overworking the hip.

In all honesty I'm trying to figure out under what conditions to ride which bike. Daily training rides are usually my recumbent. I take the ebike on days where a storm might come through, gives me the option of racing home if needed to beat the storm. Ride the gravel or mountain bike when riding in the woods.

Use the ebike exclusively for store runs and local errands. The bike is faster and safer on the high traffic roads on the way to the the shopping center. The ebike is set up with flat pedals, fenders, racks and a kickstand making it super easy to just hop on and ride. On hot days I can crank up the boost to keep from getting sweaty on a quick store run.

The ebike is also the best choice when exploring new areas. It gives me much greater range and removes the worry about finding routes with minimal traffic or hills. I've discovered neighborhoods, parks and trails I never would have found on a normal bike. The ebike also means I can get home in a hurry if needed, don't need to watch the clock if out exploring but have somewhere to be later in the day.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 05-09-21, 08:35 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikewolf
Some of you guys also grab your ebike in winter?
Oh YES because its fun.

Bike path plowed

Bike path unplowed

Ridiculous to the point of being a hoot. Body divots aside.
No way am I grabbing my Stumpy carbon S works
Old 05-09-21, 09:20 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Currently, I don’t have a drop bar bike with racks and fenders. If I need to carry stuff, I’ll get the ebike. My back doesn’t like riding with a backpack much any more.
If it’s ”guaranteed” to rain, I’ll get the ebike. It’s not that I mind getting wet that much, but I’m so done with getting plastered road grime.
If it’s winter and icy roads, I’ll get the ebike. The 2x16 miles commute on studded tires wear me out, I don’t recover well enough to do it over again the next day in a beneficial manner.
Otherwise, a regular errand run, I prefer NOT to use the ebike. I worry about theft if I have to park it in a public place.
Old 05-16-21, 07:54 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I have two road bikes for riding on pavement and the e-bike is for mixed surfaces with dirt and gravel. The e-bike has a strong rear rack for a pack and front and rear fenders whereas the road bikes do not have racks or fenders. I would be reluctant to use an e-bike for commuting as the bike is not designed for easy tire removal and tube replacement and pumping up the tire is a long process.
Old 05-17-21, 10:48 AM
jayhawk12

Bikes: electric bike plus another bike. Previously had a little bike shop

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I use the ebike for pleasure runs and errands. If I can get what I need in my backpack I use it instead of a car. We have some great wooded trails that run along ponds and a creek that is sheer bliss. I ride my little folding bike around our condo complex and short errands. Sometimes take it to other trails folded into my sports car.
Likes For jayhawk12:
Old 05-17-21, 12:07 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Drive side down? Sacrilege!!!

Originally Posted by KPREN
Old 05-17-21, 12:20 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
I ride my e bike because it lets me go as fast as I want even with a pannier on back. I can get the same workout on all for assist levels but just go faster. Yesterday I did 40 miles kept my heart-rate at 130 average 16.5 mph average with lots of climbs and down hills. it just makes it more fun. if I am going to ride a analog I am going to want to keep the weight down. I put 197 miles on my e bike last week and kept my heart rate up the whole time.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 06-02-21, 10:14 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikewolf
Gotta love the 'analog' bikes still very much, yeah :-)

It is a bit strange that some people – young people too – are now hesitant to ride a regular bicycle out of fear (fatigue). Because an e-bike / battery gives them a safe and secure feeling.

I own an e-bike and of course I have to use the battery regularly to keep it in good working condition. But I rarely drive constantly with support.
Nothing safe and secure about the e-bike battery when it's nearly empty and 10+ miles to get home. I'm 240 lbs. The bike 50+ lbs. The pannier is usually loaded to around 25 lbs. A little bit of panic sets in... quite a load to get home on strictly pedal power.
Old 06-02-21, 10:51 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
ITR, don't remember "seeing" you for a long time. Welcome back (or maybe I'm delusional).
Old 06-03-21, 07:26 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by InTheRain
Nothing safe and secure about the e-bike battery when it's nearly empty and 10+ miles to get home. I'm 240 lbs. The bike 50+ lbs. The pannier is usually loaded to around 25 lbs. A little bit of panic sets in... quite a load to get home on strictly pedal power.
well with experience it is not an issue. Plus my bosch powered bike tells me how many miles I have left. its always a mile or so under what I have left.
Old 06-03-21, 12:32 PM
josephvman

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I love mechanical things, like sports cars and motorcycles, and the e-bike gives me some of that interaction with a motor. My Turbo Vado SL gives me the ability to push harder and faster than I would be able to do otherwise, at least without completely exhausting myself. Like others have said, it's just fun! I'm getting twice as far from home as I would on my analog bike, and actually find I'm burning as many or more calories on the e-bike. What I like best about the Turbo Vado SL is that it's light, the assist is pretty seamless, and it still feels like I'm riding a bike. My bike basically doubles my input on max boost, which is more than enough. It feels like the more I put in the bigger the payoff is, so it's a challenge to push it and keep up with cars in traffic or try to sustain 25-30mph. It's also miserably hot in Houston, so I can ride lazy and still get a workout on days when I'd really not want to ride a regular bike. I cannot imagine what a bike with real power is like, since this one has plenty.
Old 06-03-21, 03:20 PM
jojimbo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally I'm converting mine to an ebike because I destroyed my knees in the Army
Old 06-04-21, 09:54 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
High humidity and horseflies!
Old 06-04-21, 10:03 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by gios
I was working up my daily long climb and spied an e-bike throttling up and over. Pretty cool.
na thats then just a scooter. Now me on my bosch powered bike love passing these guys putting out 400 or more watts heart racing its a blast.
Old 06-04-21, 06:45 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Haven’t touched my regular bike since getting a
an e-bike snd it’s been over a year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.