Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

KMC master link - is it me or is it KMC

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-26-21, 06:12 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts

I am installing a new KMC 10sp chain, replacing an old KMC 10sp chain. The new master link simply will not click into place. It slides right into place off the chain, but resists all attempts to get it to do so on the chain. It's as if either the plates a critical fraction of a millimeter too thick or the pins are a critical fraction of a millimeter too short. I've tried everything I can think of and am at my wit's end (admittedly not a long journey).

Anyone else have this same issue? Better yet, anyone have a solution?

Thanks.
Old 06-26-21, 06:15 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Did you orientate the QL to the top of the drive and slam the crank forward?
Likes For trailangel:
Old 06-26-21, 06:23 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 740 Posts
First it should say "10S" on the quicklink. (not sure if that applies to all KMC 10speed QL's but the ones I've seen do) If you have the old link compare the widths and if you have the old link you can certainly use that on the new chain until you get a replacement. If you have some calipers try measuring the pin and assembled width of the link. Could just be a dud link which KMC would probably replace for free.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 06-26-21, 07:11 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Originally Posted by trailangel
Just tried that and it appears to have worked. Many thanks. I would not have thought of that for a long time, if ever.
Old 06-26-21, 07:18 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
First it should say "10S" on the quicklink. (not sure if that applies to all KMC 10speed QL's but the ones I've seen do) If you have the old link compare the widths and if you have the old link you can certainly use that on the new chain until you get a replacement. If you have some calipers try measuring the pin and assembled width of the link. Could just be a dud link which KMC would probably replace for free.
Thanks for the suggestions. Trailangel’s quick and dirty tip seems to have worked.

And yes, the link says “10s” on it It better have, as it is what came in the sealed package with the chain.

It seems like KMC master links have gotten harder and harder to install over the years. The last few have been harder than I remember them being, but even the harder to install ones weren’t impossible like this one was, at least until I went cave man on it.
Old 06-26-21, 07:22 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
I usually have a pretty easy time with them, but I had a newer KMC 9-speed master link that was difficult to use. I finally broke down and bought the pliers from my LBS and couldn't help but smile at how easy the job was with those pliers. It's one of those deals where the right tool for the job is relatively inexpensive and simple, and yet I've resisted buying it for years. It's a great addition to the tool box.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 06-26-21, 07:23 PM
trailangel

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Just tried that and it appears to have worked. Many thanks. I would not have thought of that for a long time, if ever.
Just make sure it "clips in" on both sides.
Old 06-26-21, 07:35 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
I too have found the 10 and 11 speed links more difficult to install. I use the tool at home but it's good to know some other solutions if on the road repair is needed.
Old 06-26-21, 08:09 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
You might get a caliper out and measure, I always check a new package. Last ones were 11 speed, the KMC reuseable were all 5.709 to 5.711mm , the non-reuseable was all over 5.8+mm so pretty universal but SRAM varied from 5.609 to 5.630mm so might not be usable on some chains.
Old 06-26-21, 09:39 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I usually have a pretty easy time with them, but I had a newer KMC 9-speed master link that was difficult to use. I finally broke down and bought the pliers from my LBS and couldn't help but smile at how easy the job was with those pliers. It's one of those deals where the right tool for the job is relatively inexpensive and simple, and yet I've resisted buying it for years. It's a great addition to the tool box.
I have the Park pliers to remove the master link, but I di dnot know there was one for installing them. Who makes one and, if possible, what does it look like?
Old 06-27-21, 05:13 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I have the Park pliers to remove the master link, but I di dnot know there was one for installing them. Who makes one and, if possible, what does it look like?
The newer model Park tool goes both ways.
Old 06-27-21, 05:20 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Old 06-27-21, 07:13 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I've been on other bike forums where the collective wisdom is to always pinch the sides of quick link plates together with a pair of pliers when taking a quick link in or out. they all feel this lessens the wear on the mating surfaces making the quick link reusable.

Not sure if I'm a believer yet but I figure it can't hurt and do so as well. It does seem to make them slightly easier to install sometimes.
Old 06-27-21, 07:43 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
KMC makes separate opener and closer tools
Old 06-27-21, 07:49 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
IME; Slam'N'Go is the method that has always worked. Never had one that partially engaged. It is key to position the chain with the least amount of offset when installed around the rear cog & around a crank gear while choosing the a high gear ratio. Example: 27r 34f seems common with a straight chainline
Old 06-27-21, 09:47 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Thank you. Now I also know.
Old 06-27-21, 09:53 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 835 Times in 363 Posts
I had one 10s KMC link that just would not work for me. I have the pliers and I tried the "slam the crank" method. It wouldn't work. I used a link from another new chain and it worked fine. I emailed KMC about it. They had me send them the link and they sent a new one to me. That one worked fine. Never found out what the issue was.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 06-27-21, 10:07 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I've been on other bike forums where the collective wisdom is to always pinch the sides of quick link plates together with a pair of pliers when taking a quick link in or out. they all feel this lessens the wear on the mating surfaces making the quick link reusable.
I've found that you can install them without a tool, and the key is similar to above quote. Put chain on small/small cogs to minimize strain, make sure links are in position, and wiggle the opposite plates between thumb and index until you feel they are as close together as they're going to get. Then a gentle push on crank is enough to lock them.
Old 06-27-21, 12:42 PM
trailangel

Doesn't matter what gear you are in.... just so you are not severely cross chained. You don't need to "Slam the Crank".. like I previously said (figure of speech)... there is so much leverage it pops into place easily.
I am not a Pro Bike Mechanic.. but I play one on the internet....and I thought everyone knew how to close the link.
Old 06-27-21, 12:45 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Look Ma, no tools!

I am installing a new KMC 10sp chain, replacing an old KMC 10sp chain. The new master link simply will not click into place...Anyone else have this same issue? Better yet, anyone have a solution?
Nobody has mentioned this yet, but if you use a Wippermann Connex master link,

you don't need a tool to remove or replace it.

These links cost more than a KMC link, but you don't have to buy a tool. Here's a picture of a KMC link I received with a chain. No tool would make this one close!

Old 06-27-21, 12:58 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,740 Times in 1,498 Posts
i consider the part tool (older one) one of the best tool investments i have made. it does work for removing, if a little awkward, I pull the handles apart to remove. shimano has really nice one where you cnange the pivot for install/remove

Old 06-27-21, 01:41 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
The newer model Park tool goes both ways.
Originally Posted by RGMN
KMC makes separate opener and closer tools
Originally Posted by BCDrums
Nobody has mentioned this yet, but if you use a Wippermann Connex master link,

you don't need a tool to remove or replace it.

Here's a demo.

These links cost more than a KMC link, but you don't have to buy a tool. Here's a picture of a KMC link I received with a chain. No tool would make this one close!

Thanks for the great info, folks. I never used to have issues installing KMC master links - I was able to get them to work by just pulling on them. The previous one or two were hard - I was ultimately able to get them to click into place, but not without tugging, creative use of pliers and a healthy dose of Anglo-Saxon invective. This latest one was simply impossible until I used the slam-and-go technique - I had never heard of it before. Maybe KMC links are getting tighter, maybe I'm getting weaker (not at all unlikely), but I'm glad I checked in here.

I have v.1 of the Park tool. I will get either the Park v.1.2 . or the KMC remover tool to avoid future such fun and games.

Thanks to all. As usual, BF comes through.
Old 06-27-21, 02:02 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
shimano has really nice one where you cnange the pivot for install/remove
IF I were to invest in a dedicated tool as such, I'd go this route.
Old 06-27-21, 06:29 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Degreasing the link halves as well as the next link on each end of the chain sometimes helps a bit for install and removal. The side plates need to fit fully within the groove in the pins or they don't like to go in. I've seen some links where it does actually snap into place, but not recently. Often pinching the sides together and working them back and forth a few times (rotating the chain about the roller) helps with this as well.
In cases where a bit of persuasion is warranted and I don't have any pliers handy I simply hold the rear brake and bounce on a forward facing pedal to snap it in. No need to shock load anything, including my wrist and shoulder.