Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

What are Americans using to watch the race season?

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Old 07-20-20, 11:58 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts

Flobikes.com

NBC Sports Gold

a VPN

something else?

I could not find a price for the season through end of Vuelta España (Nov8) on either Flobikes (plans starting at $13/mo) or NBC Sports Gold.

VPN pricing is probably cheapest. But where to view the races?

I'm thinking flobikes.
Old 07-21-20, 12:20 PM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Ive used NBCSG Cycling Pass for the last few years and it's pretty good for the subscription price which I think is around $60/year.
I have no idea whether there is any difference to the service / offerings / schedules / prices considering all the changes in this year's racing season.

Cycling Pass typically features the Vuelta and the Tour but not the Giro.
It typically features several spring classics but not all of them.
I think maybe NBC's rights deal is primarily with ASO, and therefore they feature most races operated by the ASO . . . just my guess.
Cycling Pass also has a good dose of cyclocross and track stuff this past year that was not featured in the previous years I've subscribed.
Old 07-21-20, 05:52 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
I'm suddenly interested in the options too since CyclingTips is offering a $99 deal that bundles their annual membership along with Strava premium, and one of their club benefits is 20% off FloBikes.
Old 07-21-20, 07:22 PM
jimmyodonnell

Also GCN now has a new subscription product launched recently, I can't recall the pricing of the US-based viewing but I think maybe it was around $100/yr.
The races it includes were pretty obscure to the mainstream American viewer . . . I'm sure there's good racing in there but there are not many of the better-known races.
Old 07-22-20, 11:58 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
NBC Sports Gold
Old 07-22-20, 01:01 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Has the 2020 cycling season re-started for tours and grand tours? I'll worry when it happens.

NBC Sports with a cycling pass has been the cheaper option for me in the past.
Old 07-23-20, 05:05 AM
wv_mtnbkr

Bikes: 1994 Trek 850; early 90's Bianchi Campione De Italia; 2009 Seven Id-8; 2010 Orbea mtn bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Currently, I use both FloBikes and NBCGold and enjoy them both. Some pros/cons, YMMV:

FloBikes (between $130-$150/yr):
PROS: Tons of cycling; almost too much to watch at times. Lots of cyclocross and track cycling in the fall/winter, Belgian classics (including some less well-known races), the Giro, most Worldtour races (except ASO). English commentary is good (often Rob Hatch/Rob Hayles). App is easy to use across multiple platforms (I view on my IPhone and utilize Amazon Firestick to watch at home). Lots of race replays to watch. Reasonable price for all the coverage. They have some interesting/intriguing behind the scenes type documentaries.
CONS: Cyclocross commentary is sometimes lacking, but has improved greatly this year (now have native English commentary; usually Anthony McCrossen or FloBikes commentary out of Austin, TX). So, you may be watching an odd race with no commentary. I've experienced some issues with audio/video syncing but not often and probably a result of the feed they are receiving.

NBC Gold (~$60/yr):
PROS: TdF and Vuelta (my favorite GT). Also have Paris-Roubaix and Liege-Bastogne-Liege and other ASO races. Decent track program and major cyclocross races. Good commentary; either Phil Liggett and his lackeys (I'm not a fan of CVV, Bob Roll or Chris Horner; they are all annoying IMO) on the "commercial" feed or Matthew Keenan/Robbie McEwen on the "ad-free feed".
CONS: The commercials on the "main/commercial" feed are becoming a distraction to the point of really disrupting the flow of the broadcast. Fortunately, the ad-free feed is fantastic and MK/RM have great rapport. Only get ASO races and major track/cyclocross races. Huge gaps between these events where there is no coverage.

If I had to pick only one, it would be FloBikes due to more races/content to watch. But, currently I'm happy using both and justify the expense because in a typical cycling season I have at least a couple of races to watch each week.
Likes For wv_mtnbkr:
Old 07-23-20, 11:24 AM
jimmyodonnell

Originally Posted by wv_mtnbkr
Currently, I use both FloBikes and NBCGold and enjoy them both. Some pros/cons, YMMV:

FloBikes (between $130-$150/yr):
PROS: Tons of cycling; almost too much to watch at times. Lots of cyclocross and track cycling in the fall/winter, Belgian classics (including some less well-known races), the Giro, most Worldtour races (except ASO). English commentary is good (often Rob Hatch/Rob Hayles). App is easy to use across multiple platforms (I view on my IPhone and utilize Amazon Firestick to watch at home). Lots of race replays to watch. Reasonable price for all the coverage. They have some interesting/intriguing behind the scenes type documentaries.
CONS: Cyclocross commentary is sometimes lacking, but has improved greatly this year (now have native English commentary; usually Anthony McCrossen or FloBikes commentary out of Austin, TX). So, you may be watching an odd race with no commentary. I've experienced some issues with audio/video syncing but not often and probably a result of the feed they are receiving.

NBC Gold (~$60/yr):
PROS: TdF and Vuelta (my favorite GT). Also have Paris-Roubaix and Liege-Bastogne-Liege and other ASO races. Decent track program and major cyclocross races. Good commentary; either Phil Liggett and his lackeys (I'm not a fan of CVV, Bob Roll or Chris Horner; they are all annoying IMO) on the "commercial" feed or Matthew Keenan/Robbie McEwen on the "ad-free feed".
CONS: The commercials on the "main/commercial" feed are becoming a distraction to the point of really disrupting the flow of the broadcast. Fortunately, the ad-free feed is fantastic and MK/RM have great rapport. Only get ASO races and major track/cyclocross races. Huge gaps between these events where there is no coverage.

If I had to pick only one, it would be FloBikes due to more races/content to watch. But, currently I'm happy using both and justify the expense because in a typical cycling season I have at least a couple of races to watch each week.

Thanks for this rundown.
I agree with just about all your analysis of NBCSG and I appreciate the breakdown on FloBikes, I'm going to look closer to see if I should add it.
Old 07-24-20, 11:25 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Does anyone know if FloBikes offers a 3 month subscription instead of the annual $100+?

I'm not interested in cyclocross. And the Southern Hemisphere races are something I can skip watching during ski season.
Old 07-24-20, 02:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I thought FloBikes was cancel anytime with no commitment for initial time period. But it was quite awhile since looking at them. NBC Gold, now just NBC Sports (I think) had most of the things I wanted to see.
Old 07-24-20, 03:08 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

It looks like FloBikes is a yearly only subscription, and $150 before any discounts. That's too bad because they have the Giro and most of the monuments, but it's steeper than I care for, seeing how with the timezone difference I probably catch at most the last hour of any race I watch.
Old 07-24-20, 03:48 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by surak
It looks like FloBikes is a yearly only subscription, and $150 before any discounts. That's too bad because they have the Giro and most of the monuments, but it's steeper than I care for, seeing how with the timezone difference I probably catch at most the last hour of any race I watch.
I agree. But, as noted by @wv_mtnbkr , there are numerous race replays. And I am a retired guy who rises early and could use the motivation to get in more miles.

I don't mind paying for content, but I appreciate paying for only the content I wish to see. In this case, Aug 1st StradaBianca thru Nov 8th VueltaEspaña. And if they offered a 3 month package (Aug/sep/Oct) that's good too, as I could give-up the last week of the Vuelta. I guess one could argue that a FloBikes annual subscription gets me through July2021 so it includes all the Spring events and Classics, GdI and TdF next year.

So I think I've made the decision for FloBikes. Thanks all for your great information/insight.

Last edited by Wildwood; 07-24-20 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-25-20, 06:51 AM
Pemetic2006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
I usually use Fubo from March thru the Giro then I watch the TdF on NBCSN. Fubo costs me about $150 , which is steep for three months but they show a lot of races and you can DVR them.
Not sure about this year because of all the rescheduling but here’s the apparent schedule....

https://www.fubo.tv/lp/cycling-pass/
Old 07-26-20, 07:55 AM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
The GCN Cycling Pass looks like at great deal at introductory price of $39.99/year, but they have very little content if streamed in the US. In Europe, however, they offer pretty much all the races. I wonder whether I could subscribe with an account in the US but use a VPN to access the European content.
Old 07-26-20, 10:22 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell
Also GCN now has a new subscription product launched recently, I can't recall the pricing of the US-based viewing but I think maybe it was around $100/yr.
The races it includes were pretty obscure to the mainstream American viewer . . . I'm sure there's good racing in there but there are not many of the better-known races.
They are showing basically everything...

All three GT, all stage races in Italy coming up, Giro rosa, Criterium du Dauphine which will have a super line up given it is THE prep race now for the Tour. It is on offer right now for £20/year...absolute bargain.

Only reason I am not getting it is because of my internet bundle I get TV with it including all Eurosport channels which shows basically everything. Although I might get it anyway just for being able to watch anywhere on my phone.
Old 07-26-20, 11:25 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by blazin
The GCN Cycling Pass looks like at great deal at introductory price of $39.99/year, but they have very little content if streamed in the US. In Europe, however, they offer pretty much all the races. I wonder whether I could subscribe with an account in the US but use a VPN to access the European content.

I was wondering this as well. That seems like the go to option, unless when you sign up, you have to pick a region.
Old 07-27-20, 07:21 AM
jimmyodonnell

Originally Posted by InvertedMP
I was wondering this as well. That seems like the go to option, unless when you sign up, you have to pick a region.
Just check carefully for which races GCN will show in your viewing region.
I looked closely at GCN's subscription when it was announced, and gathered they would feature only the races for which the US broadcast rights were not already taken by another carrier.
Old 07-27-20, 07:30 AM
jimmyodonnell

Originally Posted by ZHVelo
They are showing basically everything...

All three GT, all stage races in Italy coming up, Giro rosa, Criterium du Dauphine which will have a super line up given it is THE prep race now for the Tour. It is on offer right now for £20/year...absolute bargain.

Only reason I am not getting it is because of my internet bundle I get TV with it including all Eurosport channels which shows basically everything. Although I might get it anyway just for being able to watch anywhere on my phone.
I don't think GCN will be showing any Grand Tours nor the Dauphine to viewers based in the US.
The site lists these races below as the races available live to US based viewers --Check out our full schedule of live racing for 2020 below.

Live races in August
  • 08/05/20-08/09/20: Tour de Pologne
  • 08/07/20-08/09/20: Tour de l'Ain
  • 08/18/20-08/19/20: Tour de l’Avenir Stages 5 & 6
  • 08/25/20: Bretagne Classic - Ouest-France
  • 08/26/20: GP de Plouay - Lorient Agglomération Trophée WNT
Live races in September
  • 09/12/20: 80° Eurométropole Tour
  • 09/15/20-09/19/20: Skoda-Tour de Luxembourg
  • 09/16/20: Grand Prix de Wallonie
  • 09/26/2020: Ethias Rapencross
  • 09/29/20-10/3/20: BinckBank Tour
Live races in October
  • 09/29/20-10/3/20: BinckBank Tour
  • 10/06/20: Binche - Chimay - Binche / Mémorial Frank Vandenbroucke
  • 10/10/ 2020: Ethias Polderscross
  • 10/11/20: Gent-Wevelgem In Flanders Fields Womens
  • 10/17/2020: Ethias b-minecross
  • 10/18/20: Ronde van Vlaanderen / Tour des Flandres Womens
  • 10/20/20: AG Driedaagse Brugge-De Panne Womens
  • 10/21/20: AG Driedaagse Brugge-De Panne
  • 10/31/20: Koppenbergcross
Live races in November
  • 1/14/20: Ethias Leuven
  • 11/28/20: Trofee Veldrijden Kortrijk
Live races in December
  • 12/12/2020: Trofee Veldrijden Scheldecross
  • 12/22/2020: Ethias Essen
  • 12/23/2020: Kasteelcross
  • 12/29/20: Azencross
Old 07-27-20, 11:09 AM
ZHVelo

Interesting that the rights are so different, maybe it costs too much to show in the US.
Old 07-27-20, 12:57 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
GCN would be great but the US coverage is terrible IMO, NBCgold again for me I guess.
Old 07-27-20, 05:54 PM
jimmyodonnell

Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Interesting that the rights are so different, maybe it costs too much to show in the US.
Also, GCN has just launched their subscription product, and the US tv rights for the better - recognized races are already contracted to other broadcasters.
NBC shows the races operated by ASO (not sure they show all ASO races, but enough of them). FloBikes has rights to the Giro and some of the Classics.
GCN will have to wait for those deals to expire, then bid for those rights if they want to distribute those races to American tv audiences.
Meanwhile, what remains for GCN to show American viewers are some of the smaller races, those less popular with the US audience.

In Europe, GCN probably enjoys a better scenario for what they can show . . . because GCN and Eurosport have the same parent company, and Eurosport has some heavy rights to show races around most of Europe.
GCN probably has access to whatever races Eurosport already broadcasts to most of Europe. I'm not certain, but I think Eurosport shows the ASO races around most of Europe (probably not in France, but most other countries).
So GCN can offer its subscribers in Europe a much better slate of races / programming than it can offer its subscribers in the US . . . for now, anyway . . . maybe that will change when the US rights come due for new deals.
Old 07-27-20, 07:22 PM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
GCN would be great but the US coverage is terrible IMO, NBCgold again for me I guess.
Right. Which why, above, we were speculating about using a VPN service to access the races GCN Makes available in Europe.
Likes For blazin:
Old 07-27-20, 11:41 PM
ZHVelo

It has the same parent company as Eurosport? How small the world is...
Old 07-27-20, 11:59 PM
surak

Well the Vuelta a Burgos starts tomorrow with some very heavy hitters in the startlist, then Strade Bianche on Saturday, so I opened up my wallet for a FloBikes subscription. Steep but I can definitely use the entertainment.
Old 07-30-20, 01:48 PM
Pemetic2006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
Well the Vuelta a Burgos starts tomorrow with some very heavy hitters in the startlist, then Strade Bianche on Saturday, so I opened up my wallet for a FloBikes subscription. Steep but I can definitely use the entertainment.
I’m thinking of going with them too. Do you know if the races can be recorded?

Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.