Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

29 x 2.2 Tires: "Gravel" or "XC" Tires?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-21, 11:57 AM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts

I'm looking at tires for my 29er build for Gravel and want an all-rounder tire that can handle road-to trails and works well in dry to loose/light mud conditions. I'm 289 lbs so I like having tires with reinforced sidewalls as well. I was debating between a more XC oriented tire like the Vittoria Mezcal or going more gravel specific with the Teravail Rutland.

Looking for suggestions as I wasn't sure what would be over/underbuilt for my type of riding.
Old 01-17-21, 12:05 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Schwalbe Thunderburts are very popular in the PNW for gravel/xc bikes that spend more time on gravel than road.

‘’it is a great “ride to the ride” tire.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 01-17-21, 02:33 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
As you also mentioned light mud, I'd say the Fleecer Ridge in the Endurance casing option would be your ultimate tyre.

I'll also mention the latest Conti RaceKing Protection 2.2" as on the road sections it should have almost the rolling speed of that ReneHerse tyre.
Have read that it does ok in light mud (haven't used mine in that yet) but it won't be as good as that ReneHerse.

Last edited by tangerineowl; 01-17-21 at 02:41 PM. Reason: txt
Likes For tangerineowl:
Old 01-18-21, 02:57 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Vittoria Mezcal's are beautiful. I've ridden them on a hardtail and they rolled great on pavement. I did not ride them in any sort of mud.
Likes For Hmmm:
Old 01-21-21, 11:50 AM
doubravsky 

Bikes: Colnago Crystal, GT MTB, Fuji D6 TT bike, Breezer Beltway commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I ride Vittoria Mezcals 27.5x2.1 on my Diverge gravel bike... very happy with them. They roll well on the pavement.... although I must admit I'm intrigued by the Fleecer Ridge...
Old 01-21-21, 12:12 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
You cannot go wrong with the Vittoria Mezcal. If you go tubeless they hold air without sealant. Conti tires do not.. they leak thru the sidewalls.
Old 01-21-21, 10:22 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
You cannot go wrong with the Vittoria Mezcal. If you go tubeless they hold air without sealant. Conti tires do not.. they leak thru the sidewalls.
I have the 27.5 Mezcals on my Toughroad. Yes running w/o sealant is nice in the winter.

I actually decided I want more off road grip, so I went with the Barzo. Sure it won't be as fast rolling but I want more off road grip for my 29er I feel