Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

B. Carré Randonneur

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

B. Carré Randonneur

Old 03-27-17, 12:12 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3781 Post(s)
Liked 3,284 Times in 2,145 Posts
-----

Thanks for the update and the shell height measurement. 290mm works out to ~11 3/8" which is on the high side, or high-ish, however one wishes to think of it...

As usual, the USS Enterprise was spot on!

-----
Old 03-27-17, 12:59 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Cool frame. Is the tubing metric or imperial?

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Very cool! Thanks for posting it. It's hard to tell from these pics, but the geometry looks pretty steep for a randonneur.
Seat tube looks pretty slack to me. The steeper the HTA the lower the mechanical trail for a given fork offset and tire size. That said I don't see what implies that this bike was intended to have low trail or to otherwise be a randonneuring frame specifically.

It seems that the HTA was slack, TTs long and stems so short on older randonneuring frames was more a function of small riders on small frames (toe overlap) than anything else.
Old 03-27-17, 01:19 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
Cool frame. Is the tubing metric or imperial?

Seat tube looks pretty slack to me. The steeper the HTA the lower the mechanical trail for a given fork offset and tire size. That said I don't see what implies that this bike was intended to have low trail or to otherwise be a randonneuring frame specifically.

It seems that the HTA was slack, TTs long and stems so short on older randonneuring frames was more a function of small riders on small frames (toe overlap) than anything else.
Fair points, Colonel. My guess is that the seller hit upon the randonneur designation to draw more views. Nothing about it ever screamed "rando" to me. The tube lengths interest me the most, to be quite honest. As for your first question, I'm not going to speculate until I have a chance to actually do some measurements. (OK, I'll guess...probably metric.)
Old 03-27-17, 09:01 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Motobecane(2), Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Thanks for the update and the shell height measurement. 290mm works out to ~11 3/8" which is on the high side, or high-ish, however one wishes to think of it...

As usual, the USS Enterprise was spot on!

-----
I can't take any credit. The CX idea was proposed by someone else on CR. I only thought of it after looking closer. Way cool. Some nice Carrés appearing lately.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 03-28-17, 01:06 PM
Filochard

Bikes: Chiron, Thirouard

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The late Bernard Carrés (ca 1980) had concave seatstay ends like this one:

Old 04-01-17, 08:01 AM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

While I play around with different options on the build I'll keep this thread alive with an update now and then. This is the latest. (By the way, every time I show a bike on this stand I get a warning about crimped tubes. I've got this clamp adjusted so that it is loose enough, and with enough play, that I normally have a chamois wrapped between the top tube and the clamp. All is good.)

I’ve been torn over staying true to the roots and going with a very French drive train vs. using period Campagnolo (because the Campy cable and housing guides that were on the frame lead me to believe that’s how the bike might have originally been built up.) So I dug through my parts bins and began to layout French stuff in one pile on the floor, and Campy stuff in another. As I pushed aside different Baggies of mechs, I realized I’d forgotten all about a Zeus kit I’ve been saving for.. well, for something.

Seems like a good time to put them to use.

I made one blunder right off the bat. I wanted to check to see if the spindle was long enough for a nice Stronglight crankset I have on hand (it wasn't.) Only after starting to snug things down did I recall that I loaned out my Stronglight and my TA pullers quite some time ago, and that I'd never gotten them back again (nor ever gotten an email response from the loan-ee.) That makes the second time in six months I've forgotten about this situation, and the second time I've had to rely on someone else to fix my goof. So a big shout out to Mark Pace at Pace Bicycle Haven in Independence, Missouri for his patience! Right now I've got a Japanese crank on there that fits, until I figure out exactly what I want to use for real.

This all French wheel set, with Maillard hubs and skewers, Atom FW, and Frenchie-French rims is quite a bit heavier than I'd like. I may switch them out with a lighter set with the same Maillard hubs and Nisi rims. That particular set currently has an Atom corn cob and I'm actually considering leaving it in place. Y'know...up until sanity kicks back in.

I managed to fit 32 Paselas without a hitch. I have yet to decide if wider tires look "right" on this bike, but personally I don't care for the ride of anything narrower than 28.

I'm still digging around for a 26.2 seat pin that I know I have. It's eluded me so far, which just means that my efforts to sell off/trade off parts these past few years have not been as successful as I (translation: my wife) had hoped.

That's all for now. More to come later.
Old 04-01-17, 12:27 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
I think the Zeus group is a good selection.

My only problem, which I have noticed, is with the shape of the shifter strap. That pointy shape will dig into the stop or crumple up and ride over it.

Looking forward to the progress.
Old 04-01-17, 02:40 PM
juvela

-----

Love that CONI cover poster.

-----
Old 04-09-17, 06:50 AM
Filochard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The cantilever brakes were used not only on CX bikes but also on ultralight time trial machines like this one made for Bernard Guyot in 1971:

During the 1971 TdF, Bernard Guyot was a teammate of the two famous Luciens, Aimar and Van Impe.

I can't resist showing this nice pic:

Source: Petite reine: Bernard Guyot

Last edited by Filochard; 04-09-17 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-09-17, 08:40 AM
AZORCH

Originally Posted by Filochard
The cantilever brakes were used not only on CX bikes but also on ultralight time trial machines like this one made for Bernard Guyot in 1971:

During the 1971 TdF, Bernard Guyot was a teammate of the two famous Luciens, Aimar and Van Impe.

I can't resist showing this nice pic:

I LOVE that photo! Thanks so much for sharing it!
Old 04-09-17, 09:20 AM
juvela

-----

Thanks so much for these great pictures Filochard!

Love that Citroen H van.

Here is one used as photo vehicle from the Tour of nineteen seventy-three:

Your chance to own a part of 1973 Tour de France history - Cycling Weekly

-----
Old 04-09-17, 09:50 AM
Filochard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
@juvela, that TUB Citroen, as it was casually called in France, was very versatile:

https://quatrecylindres.files.wordpr...pg?w=768&h=500
Old 04-09-17, 10:28 AM
juvela

Originally Posted by Filochard
@juvela, that TUB Citroen, as it was casually called in France, was very versatile:

https://quatrecylindres.files.wordpr...pg?w=768&h=500
Thanks very much Filochard, great picture!

One figures prominently in the 1966 feature film "After The Fox" starring Peter Sellers:

After the Fox (1966) - Plot Summary - IMDb

His character pretends to be an auteur film director and the H van is the vehicle of the "film crew."

-----