Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bridgestone bicycles

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bridgestone bicycles

Old 02-13-15, 09:09 PM
basulie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all,

i know this thread is crazy old, but i am in need of a bridgestone expert. i recently got lucky and found a Grand Velo 2000 with all original everything and it even looks great for a ridiculously amazing price lol. while im no bike expert in any form, i do understand (through research) that this bike is one i should probably keep hold of for a while. so anyways, this one may be a bit different? im only saying this because theres coca cola stickers all over it, but not like stickers that someone would just slap on to make it look cool or cover something up. so with that being said, is there anything special about all of this? or did the previous owner just have some obsession w/ coke? lol. i don't have any pictures of them, but i'll be getting some within the next couple days.

so please, can any bridgestone gurus please chim in?!?!
thank you!
Old 09-13-15, 05:40 PM
Christ_Lives

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 1986 Bridgestone Grand Velo 3100 that I still ride quite a bit, that is until just recently when my rear derailleur hanger bent so that the chain is so far out of alignment that it can't be turned. Although I could be dead wrong, I was under the impression, at least back then, that the frame had a lifetime warranty if it was damaged from normal wear and tear, and not from a crash or something like that. If that is the case, does anybody know if I possibly have any recourse, given that they don't appear to be sold in this country anymore?
Old 09-13-15, 07:28 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Christ_Lives
If that is the case, does anybody know if I possibly have any recourse, given that they don't appear to be sold in this country anymore?
personally i'd recourse to a pliers and just bend it back. it would be fun to see if shipping the frame back to Japan actually got a return, but realistically.. it seems much easier to just fix it yourself.
Old 09-13-15, 10:29 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I owned two 1985/86 Bridgestone 400 road bikes, the low end of their "good" line at the time, and I've followed Bridgestone's and Petersen's trials and tribulations since. First, I've never heard of any routine frame failures so that may be a false rumor. Others will have to chime in here with more accurate information.

Second, the Grant Petersen-era at Bridgestone was technically interesting but a marketing and sales disaster. The bikes were well made but he imposed his eccentric opinions and ideas on their components saying they were what riders should want. Potential customers voted with their feet and bought elsewhere and after a few years under his direction, Bridgestone withdrew from the US market.

Grant then went on to found Rivendell Cycle Works which allowed him unfettered ability to market off-beat and obsolete equipment by claiming it's better for you. The company has flirted with bankruptcy since it's founding. It now seems to be financially viable by selling expensive touring frames and appealing to the small minority of "retro-grouches" and those who yearn for the past in bike technology. I wish him well but he did Bridgestone no favors.
Uh, you do know that you're posting on the C&V forum, don't you?

Every single one of my bikes is "obsolete", and by your definition, most of the posters here. BTW, all the Japanese built bikes from that era are gone, some live on by their logo only. The yen to dollar exchange rate didn't do any of 'em any favor.

The retrogrouch market isn't large enough to support a nationwide network of dealers, probably never will be. Grant's not about the money, never will be. Rather than push the latest fad, he actually sells something he believes in. You can disagree with what he likes, but there's a lot of people who put a value in someone running a business on principles instead of making money. And, yes, a belief that there was a lot about bikes made "back then" that were better.

But if you're buying a vintage Bridgestone, you're probably paying a premium for the association with Mr. Petersen, I'll "grant" you that.
Old 09-14-15, 05:50 AM
daf1009

Bikes: LESS than I did a year ago!

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Uh, you do know that you're posting on the C&V forum, don't you?

Every single one of my bikes is "obsolete", and by your definition, most of the posters here. BTW, all the Japanese built bikes from that era are gone, some live on by their logo only. The yen to dollar exchange rate didn't do any of 'em any favor.

The retrogrouch market isn't large enough to support a nationwide network of dealers, probably never will be. Grant's not about the money, never will be. Rather than push the latest fad, he actually sells something he believes in. You can disagree with what he likes, but there's a lot of people who put a value in someone running a business on principles instead of making money. And, yes, a belief that there was a lot about bikes made "back then" that were better.

But if you're buying a vintage Bridgestone, you're probably paying a premium for the association with Mr. Petersen, I'll "grant" you that.
+10

Well said @gugie and...I own one of each of the "marquee" bikes from that era of Bridgestone (RB-1, RB-T, XO-1...only missing the MB-0)...and they are quite nice bikes to ride...each is different, but all ride really nicely. I would put them up against any bike made today...they RIDE very nicely...they are not RACE bikes...but, if most people were honest with themselves, they will never compete in the TdF! :-) So, who is really racing??
Likes For daf1009:
Old 09-14-15, 06:17 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,393 Times in 1,927 Posts
Originally Posted by Christ_Lives
I have a 1986 Bridgestone Grand Velo 3100 that I still ride quite a bit, that is until just recently when my rear derailleur hanger bent so that the chain is so far out of alignment that it can't be turned. Although I could be dead wrong, I was under the impression, at least back then, that the frame had a lifetime warranty if it was damaged from normal wear and tear, and not from a crash or something like that. If that is the case, does anybody know if I possibly have any recourse, given that they don't appear to be sold in this country anymore?
No, warranties typically only cover defects in workmanship or materials. If it's just a bent hanger, it probably only needs to be bent back into alignment. Any decently equipped bike shop should have a tool to do this.
Old 09-14-15, 06:22 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
Originally Posted by daf1009
+10

Well said @gugie and...I own one of each of the "marquee" bikes from that era of Bridgestone (RB-1, RB-T, XO-1...only missing the MB-0)...and they are quite nice bikes to ride...each is different, but all ride really nicely. I would put them up against any bike made today...they RIDE very nicely...they are not RACE bikes...but, if most people were honest with themselves, they will never compete in the TdF! :-) So, who is really racing??
I like the RB-T but it was not one of B'stone's marque bikes. It was made of seamed chrome moly tubing. My 1993 XO-2 was basically the replacement for the RB-T which was not made that year. Fine bike but a cut below (and a small cut at that) the XO-1 (with seamless chrome moly tubing) and same for the RB-1 or the top end MB bikes.
Old 09-14-15, 10:10 PM
Shp4man

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts
So this bike is pre-Grant Petersen. Restoration in progress.

I like the BS logo on the back fender.
Old 09-26-15, 01:52 PM
Greggster

Bikes: 80/90's Specialized Crossroads (3), '91 Miyata Triplecross, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, 2002 Schwinn Frontier, 2002 Gary Fisher Tarpon, 2009 Trek FX 7.2, 2014 Motobecane 400 HT

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On the fence with the XO-3

A local seller is offering an XO-3 in poor shape for $125. It wouldn't be hard to git it up to snuff with new cables, and a front skewer, which is missing. I don't really trust the seller, though, he attached the font wheel by compressing the forks and using the cone locknuts on the outside - weird. The purple paint has some bad scrapes and grinds, so I'd live with it as a beater, and that's OK. What I'm wondering is, since I already own several cross bikes from the 90's; Miyata TripleCross, Specialized Crossroads, Bianchi Boardwalk, etc., all having CroMo frames and 700C wheels, would the Bridgestone XO-3 offer anything unique? It doesn't even have lugs like my Miyata and Bianchi, but I am curious about riding a 90's steel cross with 26" wheels, like the XO-2 - that should prove to be different. Please share any anecdotal reflections on the advantages of the smaller-wheeled Bridgestones, which I'd use as the others - an urban/trail beater with 38-40C hybrid tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bridgestone XO-3A.jpg (38.6 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg
Bridgestone XO-3B.jpg (42.1 KB, 267 views)
Old 12-08-15, 02:46 AM
rawat487nsit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bridgestone rb1

I am a proud owner of Bridgestone RB1 in INDIA, delhi but hard to find sleek tyres here
Originally Posted by x37
I've been reading about Bridgestone bicycles on Sheldon Brown's webpage: Bridgestone Bicycles

It sounds as if the Grant Petersen-era Bridgestones are great bikes, and I'm thinking of trying to find one. I've heard, however, that Bridgestones are prone to break at the headtube. Is this true?

Also, what would be a fair price for, say, an RB-1 or RB-2 in good condition?

Thanks.
Old 12-08-15, 02:49 AM
rawat487nsit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a proud owner of a Bridgestone RB1 in India, delhi. But hard finding sleek tyres for my bike here
Old 12-08-15, 03:03 AM
rawat487nsit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a proud owner of a Bridgestone RB1 in India, delhi. But hard finding sleek tyres for my bike here
Old 12-08-15, 04:32 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by rawat487nsit
Cheaper in the UK than USA

Rigid Tyres Ribble Cycles
Old 09-14-17, 07:20 PM
mshenk

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone have a 1992 Bridgestone Bike catalog for sale?

I'm hoping to cheer up a friend, and we gushed over the catalog, i bought my first Bridgestone bike that year.

Or any info where i can buy one would be cool.. Thanks, all.
Old 09-14-17, 07:28 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
Originally Posted by mshenk
Anyone have a 1992 Bridgestone Bike catalog for sale?

I'm hoping to cheer up a friend, and we gushed over the catalog, i bought my first Bridgestone bike that year.

Or any info where i can buy one would be cool.. Thanks, all.
You can find it online, https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/1992/1992.pdf
Old 09-14-17, 08:39 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by basulie
Hello all,

i know this thread is crazy old, but i am in need of a bridgestone expert. i recently got lucky and found a Grand Velo 2000 with all original everything and it even looks great for a ridiculously amazing price lol. while im no bike expert in any form, i do understand (through research) that this bike is one i should probably keep hold of for a while. so anyways, this one may be a bit different? im only saying this because theres coca cola stickers all over it, but not like stickers that someone would just slap on to make it look cool or cover something up. so with that being said, is there anything special about all of this? or did the previous owner just have some obsession w/ coke? lol. i don't have any pictures of them, but i'll be getting some within the next couple days.

so please, can any bridgestone gurus please chim in?!?!
thank you!
Old post, I know, but just letting you know there was one just like if for sale on CL here a while back, so it was probably a team bike reproduction, or some weird promotional thing (red folding Marlboro Fuji, anyone?) or the like. If I recall correctly this one was priced at a grand or so. I thought that was outrageous.
Old 06-14-18, 05:38 PM
crobertrose
Rider

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1978 Peugeot, 1988 Bridgestone RB2, 1990 Trek 830, 2018 Fuji Jari 1.3

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Rb2

I bought an RB2 in 1988. Rode it a lot for many years and then life, kids, etc hit. Stopped riding but kept the bike for all since. I’ve started rebuilding and need a crankshaft. The original is pretty pitted on one side bearing race. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-14-18, 05:54 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
Originally Posted by crobertrose
I bought an RB2 in 1988. Rode it a lot for many years and then life, kids, etc hit. Stopped riding but kept the bike for all since. I’ve started rebuilding and need a crankshaft. The original is pretty pitted on one side bearing race. Anyone have any ideas?
You should start a new thread that is focused on your rebuild, and post lots of pics! Measure your spindle length and you can either try to find a spindle in the same length (like by Sunlite, or at the local co-op), or you could get a Shimano or Tange sealed bottom bracket of the same length, which are inexpensive and maintenance-free.

Welcome!
Old 06-14-18, 06:16 PM
crobertrose
Rider

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1978 Peugeot, 1988 Bridgestone RB2, 1990 Trek 830, 2018 Fuji Jari 1.3

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
New thread for rebuild

Originally Posted by noobinsf
You should start a new thread that is focused on your rebuild, and post lots of pics! Measure your spindle length and you can either try to find a spindle in the same length (like by Sunlite, or at the local co-op), or you could get a Shimano or Tange sealed bottom bracket of the same length, which are inexpensive and maintenance-free.

Welcome!
Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I think I’ll start the new thread!
Old 06-14-18, 06:28 PM
DIMcyclist
No longer active

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hmmm... it's funny how much traction a Bridgestone thread still gets...

I've owned (& still own) a few Bridgestones & I have yet to be dissatisfied; I quite like them. The only reason I sold my old RB-2 was because it ultimately proved to be too short for real comfort; that said, it rode beautifully, even in bad weather.

As it is, there's still a Bridgestone on my 'grail' list: a late 1980s/ early '90s Eurasia EA-S2-560. Restoring one of these would make for a fun project at some point.

-

Last edited by DIMcyclist; 06-15-18 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-14-18, 06:32 PM
DIMcyclist
No longer active

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Shp4man
So this bike is pre-Grant Petersen. Restoration in progress.

I like the BS logo on the back fender.
Woahhh-- Duuude!

That's what? Like, about a '74 or '75 Oval/ ST-10? Is it still 650a?

-

Last edited by DIMcyclist; 06-14-18 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-14-18, 06:50 PM
Shp4man

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Originally Posted by DIMcyclist
Woahhh-- Duuude!

That's what? Like, about a '74 or '75 Oval/ ST-10? Is it still 650a?

-
Near as I can tell, it's a '74 model. These bikes were mostly sold in Asia, I think. It has 27 inch wheels. Looks like this now:

Old 06-14-18, 06:55 PM
DIMcyclist
No longer active

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Near as I can tell, it's a '74 model. These bikes were mostly sold in Asia, I think. It has 27 inch wheels. Looks like this now:

Stunning! Beautiful job, man! Really dig the saddle, too- is that an Ideale?

I've become quite fascinated with Bridgestone's non-export frames over the past few years. There's a lot to be learned there.

Last edited by DIMcyclist; 06-14-18 at 06:58 PM.
Likes For DIMcyclist:
Old 06-14-18, 07:06 PM
Shp4man

There's a little information on the frame online- it's not really lugged, it's sort of socketed. It was used on a bunch of different models. Not light, but really strong. I still have the original parts. The Mafac racer knockoff brakes work better than Mafac racers, too.
Old 06-15-18, 07:27 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
There's a little information on the frame online- it's not really lugged, it's sort of socketed. It was used on a bunch of different models. Not light, but really strong. I still have the original parts. The Mafac racer knockoff brakes work better than Mafac racers, too.
Actually, the aluminum lugs were cast around the tubes. which had flared ends to prevent them from pulling out of the lugs. The tube ends were also plugged to prevent the aluminum from filling the tubes. The process eliminated the need for skilled brazers and allowed the joining of dissimilar and difficult to weld materials, such as the stainless steel tubes used on the Submariner model.

The disadvantage was that the lugs were bulky, having to be thick, long and square ended to hold the tubes. They attempted to improve the aesthetics by incorporating faux spear points into the castings. The lugs were also brittle and there were several early failures of the ears for the seat post binder bolt, resulting in a move to quill style seat post with an expander bolt, similar to a handlebar stem.