Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Good quality mixte frames?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Good quality mixte frames?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 07:59 AM
babie_lato

Bikes: Peugeot PR65

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts
Hello Dears,

I know you will be completely upset with me but after long thinking I decided not to get the Miyata you all liked so much. The reason is, after looking at hundreds of bikes I fell in love really badly in a specific model of Peugueot (@polymorphself, @bertinjim ). But I still follow your advice and not compromise on the size.

There are two models that are very similar:
PR 65 (from 1978)
PK 65 (from 1979)

They are both made with Reynolds 531 tubes. Another wonderful thing is: they both exist in 57cm frame! And there are relatively many of them in France which is not too far.

I attach images from the catalogue of both:

Peugeot PR 65

Peugeot PK 65

Now I found a concrete one in France which is 57cm (yuhuuu!) and it looks to me like the PK 65. I asked the seller if he could write me what it says on that front sticker. I so much hope he'll be okay with shipping it to Switzerland. If the borders weren't closed I would literally just take a train right now and go pick it up! And I wouldn't paint this one because I love the colour. Curious to hear what you think!

Likes For babie_lato:
Old 04-07-20, 08:14 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
Excellent! Looks like a PR to me, BTW.

Old 04-07-20, 08:19 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
What I like about the Peugeot for you better than the Miyata is that it was designed in the era when slimmer width tires were expected. This is especially. true with the look of the fork and front tire together. Now I prefer the ride of a bit wider tire so I would have gotten the Miyata but this bicycle looks like it is in excellent shape. You can ride it as is and find out what you like and don't like about its components and maybe change what you don't like to something with indexed shifting for example. It even has room for wider tires . I like that this bicycle has lightweight front and rear racks that you will find useful but not heavy when not in use. I would encourage you to get this one. The chrome on the fork is nice too
Old 04-07-20, 10:00 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 746 Times in 407 Posts
Being in switzerland it won't be as much of an issue for as it is for Americans to purchase french components, but how French is that Peugeot? As in, the components standards: bottom bracket/cranks, headset, pedals, stems, is it a maillard helicomatic freewheel (you don't want a helicomatic freewheel), etc. I know nothing about french bikes other than that they can be difficult depending on the era. I would imagine by the late 70s you'll be mostly fine, but it's best to know.
Old 04-07-20, 10:39 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by babie_lato
Hello Dears,

I know you will be completely upset with me but after long thinking I decided not to get the Miyata you all liked so much. The reason is, after looking at hundreds of bikes I fell in love really badly in a specific model of Peugueot (@polymorphself, @bertinjim ). But I still follow your advice and not compromise on the size.

There are two models that are very similar:
PR 65 (from 1978)
PK 65 (from 1979)

They are both made with Reynolds 531 tubes. Another wonderful thing is: they both exist in 57cm frame! And there are relatively many of them in France which is not too far.

I attach images from the catalogue of both:

Peugeot PR 65

Peugeot PK 65

Now I found a concrete one in France which is 57cm (yuhuuu!) and it looks to me like the PK 65. I asked the seller if he could write me what it says on that front sticker. I so much hope he'll be okay with shipping it to Switzerland. If the borders weren't closed I would literally just take a train right now and go pick it up! And I wouldn't paint this one because I love the colour. Curious to hear what you think!

you have to follow your heart....in life and with bikes Bon Chance

Old 04-07-20, 11:14 AM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
babie_lato -

The gold Peugeot mixte in your picture looks like a PR 65 based on its 3 arm Stronglight TS crankset. This is especially good as they have chainrings as low as 38 teeth which allows you to easily lower the gearing if you should need to do so. The rings are available on EBay. The example looks outstanding and good luck with an eventual purchase.
Old 04-07-20, 11:19 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Beautiful choice!
Old 04-08-20, 02:55 AM
babie_lato

Thank you all! Yes, I'm writing with the seller (in my terrible French) and so hoping she will keep this beauty for me until the border opens again so I can go and get it! It's just three hours by train from Zürich so I think it's much better to collect it than to ship it (because of potential damage, disassembling and reassembling...). I will keep you updated!
Old 04-08-20, 03:16 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 150 Posts
My daughter has one of those and they're an incredibly nice ride, she wouldn't miss it for the world. Hope it works out for you.

Old 04-08-20, 03:18 AM
babie_lato

Originally Posted by bertinjim
babie_lato -

The gold Peugeot mixte in your picture looks like a PR 65 based on its 3 arm Stronglight TS crankset. This is especially good as they have chainrings as low as 38 teeth which allows you to easily lower the gearing if you should need to do so. The rings are available on EBay. The example looks outstanding and good luck with an eventual purchase.
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Excellent! Looks like a PR to me, BTW.
Yes you are totally right, I found another catalogue image of the PR65 an it's pretty much identical. You can't imagine how I'm in love with this bike! Or maybe you can .

Old 04-08-20, 03:41 AM
babie_lato

Originally Posted by CMAW
My daughter has one of those and they're an incredibly nice ride, she wouldn't miss it for the world. Hope it works out for you.

That's such a nice one too!

I was also thinking of taking off the fenders at least in Summer so that it's even lighter (and looks nice). Is she not missing them? Like when it has rained a bit and the street is wet?
Old 04-08-20, 03:54 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 150 Posts
I don't have a recent pic but the bike has fenders and a Tubus-rack installed now. The fenders may come off again soon, main advantage is not less weight but easier manipulation of the bike (taking it in elevators etc).
Old 04-08-20, 11:14 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
(...) You can't imagine how I'm in love with this bike! Or maybe you can .
Yes, we can. It is pretty much our core business.

CMAW That is a very nice Peugeot! Looks like you're doing a good job, wrt raising offspring.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 04-08-20, 11:57 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
babie_lato

No disappointment here, we love Peugeot's all day long, the mixte's with good tubing are a bit rare in the US so we see a lot of entry level ones but they are cool none the less.

This will be a fantastic score, love it.
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-09-20, 11:57 AM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
I'm getting in a little late on this thread but I'm glad you found a bike you want. My first 10-speed was a Peugeot, so I've got a soft spot in my heart for them. But just to throw another coal on the fire, here is the mixte I found for my wife. Motobecanes have been mentioned here before, but the Grand Jubile mixte has some of the finer points mentioned previously in addition to having the really sexy Nervex lugs, a rarity on mixties. They also were spec'd with the light weight French Huret Jubilee derailleur emsemble. These bikes are rather rare in this country and I don't know if they they were available for the European market at all. But to my thinking, they are one of the best production mixties made.

Enjoy whatever you end up with and welcome to Bike Forums!

Likes For motogeek:
Old 04-09-20, 12:39 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
babie_lato Perfect choice! I really hope it works out for you. Please let us know.
Old 04-16-20, 03:39 AM
mr_macgee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Hi Babie,

I'm late responding to this thread but I like your thinking of a Mixte. I have built many of them for myself and for houseguest to ride and have so much fun riding them, they're always the first bikes to grab out of the bike room.

I agree with what others have said and you already have done your homework on models but I have had very similar Peugeot's mixte frames that had tremendous weight differences in the frame alone between them even though they looked identical; I had two framesets unbuilt at the same time and could easily feel the difference. It was all in the tubes they used, they both looked the same, models, lugs and graphics but one was significantly heavier than the other. They are generally good quality mixte's and fun to ride but just make sure it's one of the light ones. Also, make sure it has a good wheelset, many mixte's came with heavy cheap rims, a good light wheelset and tires make a big and noticeable difference and more fun to ride. While there's quite a few step-through bikes available in Zurich, I definitely recommend the two top tubes running down to the rear dropouts style mixte frame (like the Peugeot), they're much stiffer and longer lasting frames that can handle a heavy rider and take abuse from previous owners. I also recommend when test riding the bike to see how well it rides with no hands on handle bars, I found many of these used frames were not aligned very well and could not ride straight with hands off the handle bars. Buying a good complete Mixte is recommended as they're not easy bikes to find parts for and can get quite expensive getting the correct parts, especially the ones with uncommon threads for bottom bracket and headset. I am 183cm tall and have had no problem riding different sized mixte frames, I would just build them with a tall stem and different bars to get a comfortable riding position and still ride great.

I also recommend looking on Facebook Marketplace for bikes in Zurich, you'll be surprised how many bikes for sale and cheap nearby you.

I wish I could find photo's of my old Peugeots but could only find these two pics of my Univega's. Here in Venice Beach it's very flat, no hills and easy riding so I opted for a very simple rebuild to keep them light with only one gear, no fenders but I could definitely see needing gears & fenders to commute through Zurich. I could also see hopping on a mixte in the summer riding down to Flussbad Au-Höngg to jump in for a swim or riding to one of the lakeside bars to meet friends for a drink on a hot summer evening, the ride home is always fun!

Old 04-16-20, 10:18 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 280 Posts
Not a Mixte, but Velo Orange just announced a new step though model in this interview:

Old 04-25-20, 01:18 AM
babie_lato

[QUOTE=mr_macgee;21421014]Hi Babie,

I'm late responding to this thread but I like your thinking of a Mixte. I have built many of them for myself and for houseguest to ride and have so much fun riding them, they're always the first bikes to grab out of the bike room.

I agree with what others have said and you already have done your homework on models but I have had very similar Peugeot's mixte frames that had tremendous weight differences in the frame alone between them even though they looked identical; I had two framesets unbuilt at the same time and could easily feel the difference. It was all in the tubes they used, they both looked the same, models, lugs and graphics but one was significantly heavier than the other. They are generally good quality mixte's and fun to ride but just make sure it's one of the light ones. Also, make sure it has a good wheelset, many mixte's came with heavy cheap rims, a good light wheelset and tires make a big and noticeable difference and more fun to ride. While there's quite a few step-through bikes available in Zurich, I definitely recommend the two top tubes running down to the rear dropouts style mixte frame (like the Peugeot), they're much stiffer and longer lasting frames that can handle a heavy rider and take abuse from previous owners. I also recommend when test riding the bike to see how well it rides with no hands on handle bars, I found many of these used frames were not aligned very well and could not ride straight with hands off the handle bars. Buying a good complete Mixte is recommended as they're not easy bikes to find parts for and can get quite expensive getting the correct parts, especially the ones with uncommon threads for bottom bracket and headset. I am 183cm tall and have had no problem riding different sized mixte frames, I would just build them with a tall stem and different bars to get a comfortable riding position and still ride great.

I also recommend looking on Facebook Marketplace for bikes in Zurich, you'll be surprised how many bikes for sale and cheap nearby you.

I wish I could find photo's of my old Peugeots but could only find these two pics of my Univega's. Here in Venice Beach it's very flat, no hills and easy riding so I opted for a very simple rebuild to keep them light with only one gear, no fenders but I could definitely see needing gears & fenders to commute through Zurich. I could also see hopping on a mixte in the summer riding down to Flussbad Au-Höngg to jump in for a swim or riding to one of the lakeside bars to meet friends for a drink on a hot summer evening, the ride home is always fun!

/QUOTE]

Thank you @mr_macgee for your nice and informative response. I love your both Univegas, simple and stylish!

I actually already bought my dream mixte: a golden Peugeot PR65 with Reynolds 531 tubing. But it's in France so I'm waiting for the border to open to go and collect it. When I have it I will definitely post a foto of me riding down to Flussbad Au-Hongg!
_

Now I'm using all the knowledge I got from this wonderful forum to help a good friend of mine to find a mixte for herself. She is same tall as me (179cm) so she also needs a 57cm frame. She wants her bike to be light, mostly for riding in the city and occasionally through a forest.

I suggested her a Koga Miyata Traveller (or World Traveller) and found this one from a local seller.

I found this model in a catalogue from 1996. It's a Traveller with FM-1 triple butted CrMo tubing which sounds great to me. It says it's 15.9kg. It's not as light as good road mixtes, but I guess it's mostly because of all the equipment that is hanging on it. The frame itself should be very light...

What do you think?
Likes For babie_lato:
Old 04-25-20, 02:28 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
babie_lato

Hi, good work on yours and this one. I think this is great if your friend agrees. If you two are the same size, you can trade back and forth and decide if one or the other needs the other kind too or instead, genius!

You should have a very good time discovering the range of capability with these, I think it is a win, win.
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-25-20, 07:58 AM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Have one built, a fine one at that!

NEW PRODUCTION

Hetchins Lightweight Cycle Specialists,
the company founded by Hyman Hetchin,
continues under the name Hetchins Lightweights.
It is managed by David Miller.
For new production or renovation hetchinscycles@gmail.com

Click here for production web site.

Hetchins Lightweights are represented in USA by
Creekside Bikes, Parker CO: ksrrwebs@aol.com

The current model is the Magnum Opus Mk iii.

Other lug patterns,
conventional stays,
color, chroming, etc.
to customer specification.

Below, Magnum Opus De Luxe.
Old 04-25-20, 09:20 PM
S28546

Bikes: 1984 Trek 420L mixte, 1997 Trek 720 Multitrack, 2013 Velo Orange Polyvalent

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
1987 Raleigh Ventura

Raleigh made a ~12kg anglais frame called the Ventura in the late 80's. It was offered in a 57cm size. Specs here https://www.kurtkaminer.com/1987raleighcat_uk_14_lg.jpg
This one is almost all original 57cm frame (exceptions are saddle, tires, tubes, cables).

(I went back and read the whole thread. Congratulations on the Peugeot! I loved the ride of my PX-50. Not a mixte, but still a nice ride.)

Last edited by S28546; 04-26-20 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 07-27-20, 07:42 AM
babie_lato

Originally Posted by bertinjim
Don't sell Peugeot Mixtes short. They made the PR 65 which was a 531 main frame with good quality components and forged dropouts. The regular high tensile Peugeot mixtes are quite nice as well. I restored one for my wife and it was lightweight (about 23 pounds/11 kilos, with rack, fenders and lighting) and handled really well.

Originally Posted by polymorphself
babie_lato I know you're looking to restore/build the mixte yourself, but given what you're willing to spend have you looked around the various restoration shops? Many of these bikes can be had for a decent price, are mostly nicer bikes and professionally restored. I follow these on instagram and like what they post:

https://www.dynamocyclerepairs.com/
https://www.damsko.co/
https://ambikeco.com/
https://www.instagram.com/frenchwheels/
https://www.instagram.com/galaxybikes/?hl=en
https://vintageveloberlin.de/

Not what you came here for, I know, but if the search doesn't yield decent results soon and you just want to pull the trigger on something it's worth having a look at those.

Also, I understand the Peugeot hesitations, but as has been said here, they made some nice mixtes, they just aren't as common. And the low end ones are actually also pretty nice when you do away with a lot of the steel components and wheels and swap them for alloy. If you were to just start with a frame it could be worth it. Here's one I recently totally overhauled for my friend. Almost all of the entry level steel bits were replaced with nicer, but mostly period appropriate, alloy components and it's quite light and a beautiful ride. Granted, it being single speed did a lot for the weight.

Originally Posted by CMAW

@CMAW, @bertinjim, @polymorphself
As you might have read, I recently got a very nice Peugeot PR65 mixte. I wanted to ask you something, because I remember you all have experience renovating Peugeot mixtes similar to mine.

Today I brought my mixte to a repairman and he said he'll need to replace both cantilever brakes because the brake pads for those are no longer produced. He wants to replace them with vintage Weinmann brakes. I find it a pity, because they are otherwise in good shape and good looking and also because this cute front carrier is hanging on the brake, so it would have to be demounted too. Did you keep your original brakes? Did you manage to find replacement pads? Or did you need to replace the whole mechanism? I'm curious!
Old 07-27-20, 08:08 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
@CMAW, @bertinjim, @polymorphself
As you might have read, I recently got a very nice Peugeot PR65 mixte. I wanted to ask you something, because I remember you all have experience renovating Peugeot mixtes similar to mine.

Today I brought my mixte to a repairman and he said he'll need to replace both cantilever brakes because the brake pads for those are no longer produced. He wants to replace them with vintage Weinmann brakes. I find it a pity, because they are otherwise in good shape and good looking and also because this cute front carrier is hanging on the brake, so it would have to be demounted too. Did you keep your original brakes? Did you manage to find replacement pads? Or did you need to replace the whole mechanism? I'm curious!
That sounds fishy to me. Would you take close-up photos of the brake and pads and post them? Also, do you know the model of the brakes?
Old 07-27-20, 08:34 AM
babie_lato

Originally Posted by dweenk
That sounds fishy to me. Would you take close-up photos of the brake and pads and post them? Also, do you know the model of the brakes?
The bike is at the repairman right now so can not make a close-up pictures but I attach photos of identical brakes from exactly the same model as mine. The brand is MAFAC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.