Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Flattened Oval Top Tube ? 1986 ALAN Record

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-21, 11:16 AM
Binky

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 57 Posts

I noticed that my new-to-me 1986 ALAN Record has a slightly flattened oval top tube.
At the front and rear of the bike, where it fits into the seat post lug and head tube lug the top tube is round, and about 1 inch in diameter.

In the middle of the tube the top tube is slightly flattened, and measures about an inch and an eighth wide ( looking down from the top ) and about seven eighths of an inch ( when seen from the side ) at the middle cable guide.

The way the reflected light hits the frame makes the difference obvious. (See picture).

I'm wondering if this is of structural benefit and if it is why isn'y it a more common design feature ?

Bink

Old 08-20-21, 11:22 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I don't know if it provides any structural benefits, but my cyclocross bike has an ovalized top tube that makes it a bit more comfortable when shouldering.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-20-21, 11:41 AM
Binky

Originally Posted by caloso
I don't know if it provides any structural benefits, but my cyclocross bike has an ovalized top tube that makes it a bit more comfortable when shouldering.
Is your top tube oval for its full length and welded in place... or lugged and only flattened in the middle ?
Just curious.

Bink
Old 08-20-21, 11:49 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by Binky
Is your top tube oval for its full length and welded in place... or lugged and only flattened in the middle ?
Just curious.

Bink
Alans are not welded together. They use an adhesive to join the tubes onto the end junctions (lugs of sorts). The OP states that the tube is rounded at both ends.

Alan did offer a CX frame which, IIRC, had a flattened top tube. perhaps for some reason that model's TT was used on the OP's frame. Andy
Old 08-20-21, 12:03 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
There haven't been many aluminum frames made with round cross-section tubes for a long time. Most new bikes have some type of 3D or complicated profile done by 'hydroforming', while old bikes always started with round tubes, and flattening along one axis was the primary strategy to 'tune' tubes for whatever purpose. By the early 90s, most chromoly bikes had similar shaping done to their downtubes, usually flattened width-wise at the head tube and height-wise at the bottom bracket.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 08-20-21, 12:34 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
"I'm wondering if this is of structural benefit and if it is why isn'y it a more common design feature" Bink

In theory a non round tube can have greater bending resistance in the long axis, of an ovalized section of tube, and less so along the short or less wide axis. But remember that the main triangle tubes see a lot of twisting forces, not so much mere bending. The torsional stiffness of an ovalized tube is substantially limited to what a virtual tube would have that has a diameter equal to the shorter axis. (Put another way if a tube is ovalized so it's small axis is half that of the starting round diameter the rotational stiffness will be about 1/4 of the original round tube had. Torsional stiffness has a geometrical relationship with diameter). So ovalizing a main triangle tube has more drawbacks then only the added cost.

Now another reason to ovalize at the ends is to be able to use a larger diameter tube then would fully contact the joining tube. Ovalizing the large tube will allow the joint (welded or brazed)to have complete tube to tube contact and increase the amount of the weld or fillet. As example is a 1.25" top rube joined to a 1.125" seat tube. The sides (or ears of the miter) of the TT will not be touching the ST. By ovalizing the TT vertically the entire TT miter will touch the ST and thus have theoretically more weld/fillet length.

But in real life the differences are fairly minor and the actual welding/filleting skills can be far larger an amount of "change".

It's my opinion that many shaping of tubes is more about branding and marketing then realized strength or stiffness gains. Andy
Old 08-20-21, 01:43 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
There haven't been many aluminum frames made with round cross-section tubes for a long time. Most new bikes have some type of 3D or complicated profile done by 'hydroforming', while old bikes always started with round tubes, and flattening along one axis was the primary strategy to 'tune' tubes for whatever purpose. By the early 90s, most chromoly bikes had similar shaping done to their downtubes, usually flattened width-wise at the head tube and height-wise at the bottom bracket.
I believe mine is hydroformed: it's a more squarish oval at the headtube junction and it flattens out towards the seattube junction. And three sets of cable bosses across the top (rear brake, front and rear derrailleur cables)
Old 08-20-21, 02:34 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Some bikes in the 80's had tubes which were ovalized in the middle for aerodynamics. Like the Nishiki Aero II I have:

But they were ovalized in the horizontal direction. ie. it's skinny in the horizontal direction and tall in the vertical direction. Your ALAN looks to be opposite of that.
Are you sure it didn't just get squished by a careless mechanic on the bike stand? Are there any other ALAN frames like that?
Old 08-21-21, 11:11 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
I noticed that my new-to-me 1986 ALAN Record has a slightly flattened oval top tube.
At the front and rear of the bike, where it fits into the seat post lug and head tube lug the top tube is round, and about 1 inch in diameter.

In the middle of the tube the top tube is slightly flattened, and measures about an inch and an eighth wide ( looking down from the top ) and about seven eighths of an inch ( when seen from the side ) at the middle cable guide.

The way the reflected light hits the frame makes the difference obvious. (See picture).

I'm wondering if this is of structural benefit and if it is why isn'y it a more common design feature ?

Bink

Are those the original recall forks?

Just curious...

=8-|

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 08-22-21, 05:12 AM
Binky

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Are you sure it didn't just get squished by a careless mechanic on the bike stand? Are there any other ALAN frames like that?
That occurred to me so I went online to look at pictures of other ALAN bikes.
I cannot imagine a bike mechanic reefing down on ANY kind of a bike stand clamp with enough force to flatten a bike tube.
Anyway, I found pictures of other ALAN Record frames, as new, on the internet.
Some, but not all, appear to have a flattened top tube. See attached picture from a catalog of some sort.

Bink

Likes For Binky:
Old 08-22-21, 05:24 AM
Binky

Originally Posted by mrrabbit

Just curious...

=8-|

Wow !! Now I'm curious too.
How would I be able to tell ?
Its a ALAN Record made in May, 1986 if that helps.
I traded a Raleigh Grand Prix for this bike to a guy who bought the ALAN second hand off a guy on CraigsList, so the history is a mystery to me.
How can i tell if the forks are, as you call them, the "original recall forks" ?
Does the fork crown appear to be any different from the forks they replaced ?

Bink
Old 08-22-21, 07:05 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
In the old days Park Tools and other stands had levers that could get some serious torque and at a spring setting that worked fine on a gas pipe 1" top tube but could crush a carbon top tube especially a larger diameter if you did not back off the spring tension. To have smashed that Alan tube so beautifully the mechanic would have to have been an artist.
Old 08-22-21, 08:03 AM
Binky

Originally Posted by mrrabbit

Just curious...

=8-|
I just sent off an email to ALAN in Italy with the model and date of manufacture of my bike (May, 1986) and a picture of the frame with a request for information about possible issues or recalls.

Its Sunday so it may be a while before I hear back from them... but I will let you know what (and if) they reply.

I also scoured the internet and the Bike Forums archives to see it it has been an issue. I could find nothing there of note.

What info do you have to share ?

Back soon - I'm off for a ride on the ALAN before it gets too hot.

Bink
Likes For Binky:
Old 08-22-21, 08:44 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 377 Posts
I bought an Alan frame, new, back in '88. I don't know when it was manufactured (frame is long gone...cracked seat lug). Anyhow. the top tube was definitely round. I noticed in the pic from the catalogue that the frame shown only has two cable guides on the top tube. Your frame has three and so did mine. Wondering if that matters? As far as the recalled fork, I was told by other riders that the forks with alloy steerers were prone to fail. This was hearsay and I never got any real proof. BTW. Mine had an alloy steerer and I rode it for 45,000+ miles before I noticed the seat lug crack.
Old 12-21-21, 08:31 AM
Surfer77

Bikes: Alan Competition, Serotta Club Special, Bottecchia ADR SL, Ciocc San Christobal, Aventon Track

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
I just sent off an email to ALAN in Italy with the model and date of manufacture of my bike (May, 1986) and a picture of the frame with a request for information about possible issues or recalls.

Its Sunday so it may be a while before I hear back from them... but I will let you know what (and if) they reply.

I also scoured the internet and the Bike Forums archives to see it it has been an issue. I could find nothing there of note.

What info do you have to share ?

Back soon - I'm off for a ride on the ALAN before it gets too hot.

Bink
Hey Bink!
I just found an Alan like yours, “Record” model, flattened top tube.
Seller lists it as 130mm between dropouts.
I am wondering what your frame measures? 1986 seems early for 130mm, right?
Best,
Robyn
Old 12-21-21, 09:12 AM
Binky

Originally Posted by Surfer77
Hey Bink!
I just found an Alan like yours, “Record” model, flattened top tube.
Seller lists it as 130mm between dropouts.
I am wondering what your frame measures? 1986 seems early for 130mm, right?
Best,
Robyn
I just checked mine and the distance between the the rear drops APPEARS to be 125mm or 126mm.... but the rear wheel is not the original.

Bink

Likes For Binky:
Old 12-21-21, 11:00 AM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
I got a Super Record, a Record and multiple CX with flattened top tubes.
See part of a catalog from 1983 on the so-called model Sprint (the same as the Super Record) those days.

And far as I know is trouble/recall with Alan frames a myth. The real story was about the Viscount/Lambert fork.
The fork on Binky's Record is the correct fork.
Old 12-21-21, 11:20 AM
Surfer77

Bikes: Alan Competition, Serotta Club Special, Bottecchia ADR SL, Ciocc San Christobal, Aventon Track

I just checked mine and the distance between the the rear drops APPEARS to be 125mm or 126mm.... but the rear wheel is not the original.

Bink

Thank you! Must be 126mm for an 80’s frame. I am quite sure now that the frame I was looking at would have been 126mm as well. I would hesitate to spread it to 130mm because the tubes are only bonded. My 1976 Alan Competition was spread to 126mm, but the brake bridge and chain stay bridge are pinned as well. Very nice Alan Record! Here is my Comp model:
Likes For Surfer77:
Old 12-21-21, 11:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Might be the builder/designer was more interested in what they thought was creating a more aesthetic look and appeal for their customers than a truly beneficial structural design or aerodynamic consideration.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 12-21-21, 12:05 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

because the tubes are only bonded

screwed and glued. Nice Bike!
Old 12-21-21, 12:45 PM
Surfer77

Originally Posted by fabiofarelli

screwed and glued. Nice Bike!
Yikes! That is a carbon tube, right?
Old 12-21-21, 01:19 PM
fabiofarelli

Yikes! That is a carbon tube, right?
Nope, black anodized. I loosend it myself by heatening (the glue) and unscrewing it. The frame had been damaged and was not usable anymore.
Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 12-21-21, 01:47 PM
Surfer77

Nope, black anodized. I loosend it myself by heatening (the glue) and unscrewing it. The frame had been damaged and was not usable anymore.
Ah! Thank you! I have heard of carbon tube Alan frames failing, as well as TVTs, but never an aluminium tube frame failing.
-Robyn
Likes For Surfer77:
Old 12-21-21, 04:35 PM
Surfer77

Oh, I see you live in Netherlands. I am planning a trip there this June. I am thinking of staying near the Vam Berg and cycling there. I am happy to re-ride the same route, training as opposed to cycle touring. Then visit town for coffee and meals. Hopefully this new covid variant will not be a problem.
-Robyn
Likes For Surfer77:
Old 12-21-21, 05:01 PM
fabiofarelli

Drenthe is nice, since a few years we do a ride there, small group, great fun. Nearby the Vam-berg.

Likes For fabiofarelli:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.