Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What Makes Tires Fast?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What Makes Tires Fast?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-21, 06:44 PM
Roadies_Rok

Bikes: Litespeed Arenberg Road Bike; Specialized Crossroads XC Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
What Makes Tires Fast?

I'm not an Engineer or a Designer so I really don't know what goes into the design and manufacturer of tires but I am curious. We have had a few warmish days here where I live and I have taken advantage of a few of them to get out on my road bike. When I bought the bike the tires were pretty much falling apart. Old, sidewalls flaking off, cuts, scrapes, basically falling apart so I bought new tires and I got the Continental Ultra Sport 3 tires in size 700 x 25mm. I have used several iterations of the Ultra Sport tires over the years as well as the higher priced tires and my experience with Continentals has been mixed. Mostly I have found the Continental tires as a whole to be slow and not responsive as if I was dragging a boat anchor behind me while other tires have felt very lively and fast. When I was racing I bought a set of the Continental GP3000 tires and did not like them at all. They felt slow and sluggish. I pulled them off my bike when I found a set of the no longer made Panracer Stradius Pro tires at my LBS. When I put the Panracer tires on my bike it felt like someone had strapped a rocket motor to the seat tube of my bike. A lot of people say the Vittoria tires are fast and lively but my experience says otherwise. I bought a set of the Diamante Pros in size 700 x 23 and again I did not like them but I did like the Michelin Pro race tires.

There is a lot of talent in this group and some pretty smart people so again I ask, what makes a tire fast and lively? Thanks everyone.
Old 11-26-21, 07:16 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
There are 3 things that affect ride quality in tires, from most important to least: Pressure, Tread compound, Casing construction. I think you're greatly over stating the differences you've felt between different tires. I agree there are differences but they're not huge. I'd also say if you bought some high end Vittoria tires your opinion would change.
Old 11-26-21, 07:31 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
One thing that has come out in the last 15 years or so is that we are easily fooled by our senses. A hard tire (stiff casing, hard rubber compound, and/or high pressure) feels faster because more high-frequency vibrations are transmitted through the body, but it may not actually be faster.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 11-26-21 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-26-21, 08:47 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3141 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
Fast tires have lots of flex, or compliance, at the tread, courtesy of finely woven, supple casing materials and a thin, flexible tread. Part and parcel to those things are lightweight, so the fastest tires don’t offer much by way of puncture resistance.

And I am of the opinion that tire differences are very noticeable, even extremely so when comparing the cheapest tires to premium performance tires.

​​​cxwrench noted, though, it’s a model issue, not a brand issue, so your Vittoria Diamante are very different to Vittoria’s too tier Corsa.

Generally, look for for high thread-count casings and do read the manufacturers’ descriptions to understand a tire model’s intended application.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 11-26-21, 08:57 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadies_Rok

There is a lot of talent in this group and some pretty smart people so again I ask, what makes a tire fast and lively? Thanks everyone.
The motor.
Old 11-27-21, 05:09 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 818 Posts
I believe I definitely feel a difference in the ride quality from one set of tires to another. Tubes also make a difference. Regarding speed, probably not as much difference as one is feeling when riding. Smooth and quiet just feels faster to me. My favorite road set up now is Vittoria Open Pave 27mm with latex tubes. They make for a very supple ride, good flat protection and decent durability. Along with low weight and rolling resistance, and relatively low cost, they are a terrific value, IMO.
Old 11-27-21, 06:41 AM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
Pairing a tire design with the road surface can make a big difference in performance.
Likes For Oakman:
Old 11-27-21, 08:20 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
The main ingredient that makes a tire fast is the person riding the bike they are mounted on.
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-27-21, 08:23 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
One thing that has come out in the last 15 years or so is that we are easily fooled by our senses. A hard tire (stiff casing, hard rubber compound, and/or high pressure) feels faster because more high-frequency vibrations are transmitted through the body, but it may not actually be faster.
Yeah, this even applies to pro riders. That podcast I’ve linked a few times where Jan Heine is talking with Jeff Poeetner is very on point. Poertner runs Silca but for many years he ran racing products for Zipp. They also did research on tires, tire width and tire pressure. They had expensive equipment and pro riders to work with and came to largely the same conclusions as Heine. The pro riders were just as clueless about what made things feel fast or slow as other riders.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 11-27-21, 09:14 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by ofajen
Yeah, this even applies to pro riders. That podcast I’ve linked a few times where Jan Heine is talking with Jeff Poeetner is very on point. Poertner runs Silca but for many years he ran racing products for Zipp. They also did research on tires, tire width and tire pressure. They had expensive equipment and pro riders to work with and came to largely the same conclusions as Heine. The pro riders were just as clueless about what made things feel fast or slow as other riders.

Otto
They werren’t talking about the difference between low-quality and high-quality tires though, but rather about width and pressure for high-quality tires. I think low quality tires are easily perceived in use when compared to high-quality tires, by anyone. The difference between a 67tpi commuter oriented tire and a 127tpi full racing tire (of same size), in my experience, is blatantly obvious.

As an aside, having known and ridden with pro racers, they’re rarely gear people, and rarely attuned to the subtleties in equipment, particularly at the edges of their performance domain. I think it’s because they’re hyper-focused on what they’re doing physically, or perhaps it’s because they have such ample ability to perform at high levels that the margins get blurry. I dunno, but pros are not my go-to references for equipment assessment, and it didn’t surprise me at all that they’d not be at all attuned at all to whether a 28c at 70psi was faster than a 23c at 105psi.
Old 11-27-21, 09:25 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Which tire is faster also depends on speed where aerodynamics play a more significant role. At a minimum, appropriately matching the tire width to rim width pays huge dividends at higher speeds.

Rolling resistance and aero drag are about equal at 10 mph and at 20 mph, aero is closer to 80% and rolling resistance is 20%
Old 11-27-21, 09:38 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Which tire is faster also depends on speed where aerodynamics play a more significant role. At a minimum, appropriately matching the tire width to rim width pays huge dividends at higher speeds.

Rolling resistance and aero drag are about equal at 10 mph and at 20 mph, aero is closer to 80% and rolling resistance is 20%
There’s little-to-no point talking about “fast” if that kind of thing isn’t standardized for comparison. Tire/rim matching makes the system faster, bit it does not determine whether a tire is fast or not, i.e built for speed or built for durability… or traction, or something else, like economy of production.
Old 11-27-21, 10:04 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by chaadster
There’s little-to-no point talking about “fast” if that kind of thing isn’t standardized for comparison. Tire/rim matching makes the system faster, bit it does not determine whether a tire is fast or not, i.e built for speed or built for durability… or traction, or something else, like economy of production.
Not true by my testing. Some tires are clearly faster aerodynamically on any rim. Just mentioning, no need to discuss.
Old 11-27-21, 02:04 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Not true by my testing. Some tires are clearly faster aerodynamically on any rim. Just mentioning, no need to discuss.
What’s not true? Saying a bike can be made faster by aerodynamically optimizing the tire and rim combo sure doesn’t seem like the same thing as saying some tires roll faster than others, but if you wanna go all reductio ad absurdum, I agree no discussion is needed.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 11-27-21, 05:35 PM
GhostRider62

What’s not true? Saying a bike can be made faster by aerodynamically optimizing the tire and rim combo sure doesn’t seem like the same thing as saying some tires roll faster than others, but if you wanna go all reductio ad absurdum, I agree no discussion is needed.
What you said is completely untrue. It is standardized, CdA is measurable quite easily.

Lastly, who made you queen of this thread to tell me not to contribute.

Some tires are faster than others due to reasons beyond what was contributed already. The shape of the tire and how it interfaces with the rim is key and not all tires are the same as you implied. This effect is at least as great as rolling resistance differentials when at speed.
Old 11-27-21, 10:32 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

What you said is completely untrue. It is standardized, CdA is measurable quite easily.

Lastly, who made you queen of this thread to tell me not to contribute.

Some tires are faster than others due to reasons beyond what was contributed already. The shape of the tire and how it interfaces with the rim is key and not all tires are the same as you implied. This effect is at least as great as rolling resistance differentials when at speed.
Just say you don’t understand when you don’t understand, and spare us all the drama. It’s effin’ lame AF.
Old 11-28-21, 05:59 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
i find it really interesting how much of a difference people report between tires of similar size, type and pressure.

i must not have a very sensitive butt or hands; while i can certainly tell the difference, i wouldn’t say going from tubed gatorskin hardshells to tubeless GP5000 felt all that different, yet many described the hardshells as some sort of riding purgatory involving wet cement, broken glass, and nails on chalkboard! the difference in measured speed is far more noticeable than the difference in feel, but there are too many other variables to be definitive about that.
Old 11-28-21, 09:31 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The motor.
And a good tailwind.
Likes For TomM:
Old 11-29-21, 02:02 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I used to fill up my 25mm tires to about 100 psi and was skeptical of Silca calculator suggesting 88 psi as fastest. Then I calibrated my pump, and found it showed 8-10 psi higher than actual.

Silca recommended pressures are pretty good if you enter the right parameters and your pump is accurate.
​​
​​​That said, narrow tires and wheels are more aerodynamic all things being equal and that will eat up a small difference in rolling resistance. Aerocoach found 0.1W RR difference between a 23mm and a 25mm Corsa Speed (that is a superbly supple tire though with very low RR, which probably is the reason the difference is so small).

Last edited by Branko D; 11-29-21 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-29-21, 08:34 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadies_Rok
I'm not an Engineer or a Designer so I really don't know what goes into the design and manufacturer of tires but I am curious. We have had a few warmish days here where I live and I have taken advantage of a few of them to get out on my road bike. When I bought the bike the tires were pretty much falling apart. Old, sidewalls flaking off, cuts, scrapes, basically falling apart so I bought new tires and I got the Continental Ultra Sport 3 tires in size 700 x 25mm. I have used several iterations of the Ultra Sport tires over the years as well as the higher priced tires and my experience with Continentals has been mixed. Mostly I have found the Continental tires as a whole to be slow and not responsive as if I was dragging a boat anchor behind me while other tires have felt very lively and fast. When I was racing I bought a set of the Continental GP3000 tires and did not like them at all. They felt slow and sluggish. I pulled them off my bike when I found a set of the no longer made Panracer Stradius Pro tires at my LBS. When I put the Panracer tires on my bike it felt like someone had strapped a rocket motor to the seat tube of my bike. A lot of people say the Vittoria tires are fast and lively but my experience says otherwise. I bought a set of the Diamante Pros in size 700 x 23 and again I did not like them but I did like the Michelin Pro race tires.

big strong legs and lungs.
Old 11-29-21, 09:02 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
i find it really interesting how much of a difference people report between tires of similar size, type and pressure.
^this^

I'd love to see a blind (figuratively speaking) test - 100 cyclists ride bikes back to back with the only difference being the brands of tires - all the same weight, size, tire pressure, and tubes. I would venture to say that guessing would be the most successful method of identification.

I've been riding for 47 years - BMX, MTB, road (for the last 15), and gravel (last 3) and my breakdown is like this...
- MTB, yeah I can feel the difference between an open, deep block tire from a small, shallow block tire
- Gravel - uhh... same style (block, center tread, etc), size and pressure - nope
- Road - within a 10 psi, 3mm width and 15 gram range - nope

Maybe a few more years of riding and I'll be able feel the difference ;-)
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 11-29-21, 02:48 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The motor.
No.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000540414546
Old 11-29-21, 07:39 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Look for tests that have been done with regard to rolling resistance differences between 23, 25, 28 millimeter tires. It is insignificant and it is air drag that is by far the biggest factor. Consider that at 30 mph the air drag is 4 times that at 15 mph and so requires 4x as much energy output from the rider. It is why racers use the peloton.

It is thought that a higher PSI tire may have greater rolling resistance as it is less able to move over a bump smoothly. A 700x25mm tire can use a 15% lower PSI fill to support the same weight as a 700x23mm tire and this makes for a smoother ride.
Old 11-30-21, 05:22 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
They werren’t talking about the difference between low-quality and high-quality tires though, but rather about width and pressure for high-quality tires. I think low quality tires are easily perceived in use when compared to high-quality tires, by anyone. The difference between a 67tpi commuter oriented tire and a 127tpi full racing tire (of same size), in my experience, is blatantly obvious.

As an aside, having known and ridden with pro racers, they’re rarely gear people, and rarely attuned to the subtleties in equipment, particularly at the edges of their performance domain. I think it’s because they’re hyper-focused on what they’re doing physically, or perhaps it’s because they have such ample ability to perform at high levels that the margins get blurry. I dunno, but pros are not my go-to references for equipment assessment, and it didn’t surprise me at all that they’d not be at all attuned at all to whether a 28c at 70psi was faster than a 23c at 105psi.
So in your opinion, professional cyclists basically don’t know anything about bicycles because they are in great shape and pedaling very hard.
Good stuff
Old 11-30-21, 06:39 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
So in your opinion, professional cyclists basically don’t know anything about bicycles because they are in great shape and pedaling very hard.
Good stuff
Well, I definitely did not say that, but it’s not the pro racer’s job to know about bikes, that’s for sure.
Likes For chaadster:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.