Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What else would work with 10s Dynasys?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-21, 11:49 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts

I hate to ask this question, but I'm looking at putting drop bars, or some other multi position bar, on my commuter bike to use it for a longish tour. The problem of course is the levers and shifters. The bike is set up with XT 10sp Dynasys derailleur, 10sp 11-34 cassette, and Deore dynasys 10sp shifters. All work beautifully together. Shifting is the very light touch that Dynasys promised. I also have XT v-brakes on it with Deore levers. The front uses the original 7sp XT derailleur and that works just fine the way it is. I had replaced the large chainring as the chain would slip on it but it didn't do that on the middle and I never use the small. It all just works and I've been riding it for about 8 years that way.

I've already figured out the levers, Tektro RL520 levers are specifically made for v-brakes on drop bars. But what about shifters? Is there anything else compatible with 10sp Dynasys? I was just reading that 11sp is almost compatible, but what is available in that even? I'm just looking to get ideas, not necessarily going to change the shifters as they could still be mounted on a drop bar, just not conveniently placed. I didn't see much when I googled, just some downtube shifters from Dia-compe. Anything else?
Old 12-02-21, 01:10 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Microshift will get you 10sp and 11sp dynasys shifting in the brake levers and probably have other shifters as well.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 12-02-21, 01:15 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
If you want drops you can go gevenalle or surly corner bar
Old 12-02-21, 02:34 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Microshift will get you 10sp and 11sp dynasys shifting in the brake levers and probably have other shifters as well.
I just looked and they offer a 10sp Dynasys brifter but only right/rear side, the left is brake only. The other thing is that the brake levers are short pull only. I need long pull.
Old 12-02-21, 02:41 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by Elvo
If you want drops you can go gevenalle or surly corner bar
Gevenalle makes just what I'm looking for, at a price of course. The have 10sp Dynasys/3 front and linear pull levers all in one! Thanks. It is definitely a more expensive solution but still a lot cheaper than buying even a used bike for the trip. All good except they are out of stock, but the trip is next summer so maybe not a big deal.
Old 12-02-21, 04:16 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,413 Times in 2,751 Posts
Doesn't Microshift have bar end shifters for Dynasys? You could use whatever brake levers you want. Or use a "Trekking" bar and keep all your components.
Old 12-02-21, 07:47 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Once upon a time…

WTB made shifter pods for dirt drops that allowed the use of bar end levers mounted close to the brake levers.

You will most likely never find them, but if you have access to a machine shop and a bit of ingenuity, you might come up with something.

The Gevenalle is probably your best bet, but I thought I would throw this out.

John
Old 12-02-21, 08:11 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Once upon a time…

WTB made shifter pods for dirt drops that allowed the use of bar end levers mounted close to the brake levers.

The Gevenalle is probably your best bet, but I thought I would throw this out.

John
Kelly TakeOffs were very similar and allowed mounting bar end or downtube shift levers adjacent to standard dropbar brake levers. I used them for a while and found them a bit awkward. Once I discovered Gevenalle there was no going back. They are a far superior design.
Old 12-02-21, 08:13 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
The only thing I have to add is that most all tourists that I know that tour find lower gearing then what the OP usually rides in will be needed. I suspect the OP will use that middle and if in a hilly area the granny rings. Andy
Old 12-02-21, 10:36 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
They do offer thumb shifters, rear 10sp mtb front double or triple friction so it won't care what your der is.
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=74328

I have found their brifters can be bought in single side and would just get the front if I needed that, mixing and latching doesn't matter, their levers all look virtually the same unless you get their series line. V-brake pull is a problem and I even find that the newer road levers, for all the claims, still suck with v-brake. Travel agents help a good bit but I'm switching my tandem from V to canti for just this reason.
Old 12-02-21, 10:57 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The only thing I have to add is that most all tourists that I know that tour find lower gearing then what the OP usually rides in will be needed. I suspect the OP will use that middle and if in a hilly area the granny rings. Andy
I'm expecting that so it won't be a surprise. The route is pretty flat though, but even flat routes have their hills. In all the time I've had that bike I've never used the granny gear except to try it out but if I need it I'll use it. It is 11-34 in the rear and 46/36/26 in front I think so I should be well covered. Even uphill in NYC I rarely use the middle ring, nothing is long enough to warrant the shift and you have to be ready to shift the front before you need it.

I don't see the value in thumb shifters over the Deore shifters I already have but maybe I'm missing something. I like the way the Deore shifters work with a very light touch and I'd sooner leave those on the bike even if not conveniently placed. I'll have to find a hand position where they can work. The Gevenalle are a different story, putting a road feel on an MTB

Last edited by zacster; 12-02-21 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-02-21, 11:09 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
NYC has hills?

My tour from Rochester to Boston averaged around 9mph. Along the flat (by most anyone's standards) Erie Canal route it was about 11mph but the Berkshires dropped that a lot. Andy
Old 12-03-21, 06:53 AM
tommymc

Bikes: Many, mostly old & low tech

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
The Microshift 10s bar end shifter made for Shimano mtb duty works fine on my S&S coupled travel bike with a Deore RD. On the left side almost any friction shifter works for front duty. In fact, I currently have a seat tube shifter for the front triple crank to eliminate cabling across the couple and speed frame breakdown.
Old 12-03-21, 08:03 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
NYC has hills?

My tour from Rochester to Boston averaged around 9mph. Along the flat (by most anyone's standards) Erie Canal route it was about 11mph but the Berkshires dropped that a lot. Andy
The Bronx is hilly, and there are the bridges. Both Prospect Park and Central Park have a hill. But that's about it. And as I said I rarely go off the big ring on any of it. There is one hill in Highland Park on the Bkln/Queens border that is 6.7% for about 500'. That's the steepest grade I know.

The ride I'm doing is actually the Empire State trail so that includes a lot of the same ride. I ride around the Berkshires too but never found it too bad.