Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When Do You Replace Shifter Cables?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

When Do You Replace Shifter Cables?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-22, 05:56 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Shimano 105 & Ult, 10&11 speed sometimes fray at the bend inside the brifter. Mainly the rear but that’s probably because it’s used the most. Takes 10 minutes to swap a cable if it’s not frayed. Can take nearly an hour if you’re tweezering out tiny shreds from inside the brifter. I replace yearly on my main bike. You’ll feel it when one starts to shred. Replace immediately to keep the job easy.
Old 05-01-22, 06:09 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
As others have alluded, this is most problematic with the Shimano groups that route under the bar tape. The very first generation, about a dozen years ago, seemed to be the worst, but it still happens.

Higher resistance when shifting or a reluctance to shift to a smaller cog are red flags.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-01-22, 06:17 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Just get what most shops will call the "Deluxe Tune Up" package, once/year from your trusted LBS
Old 05-01-22, 06:34 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Shimano: every 3,000 miles

SRAM: at the yearly teardown or before an important event like Paris Brest Paris.
Old 05-01-22, 06:35 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Far to many bikes for that Sy Reene, and I find paying very close attention to the drivetrain has many benefits.
Old 05-01-22, 06:39 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
As others have alluded, this is most problematic with the Shimano groups that route under the bar tape. The very first generation, about a dozen years ago, seemed to be the worst, but it still happens.

Higher resistance when shifting or a reluctance to shift to a smaller cog are red flags.
This. When you notice it on a ride, just put the bike in a convenient gear and ride it home as a single-speed. Continuing to shift will further shred the cable and make the repair more challenging.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-01-22, 06:39 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Just get what most shops will call the "Deluxe Tune Up" package, once/year from your trusted LBS
The $325 one? Where they install mediocre bearings and basic cables and shine it up for you? No thanks. I can put top of the line crap in for 1/3 of that and be done in less time than the driving to/from the shop twice.
Old 05-01-22, 06:57 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
The $325 one? Where they install mediocre bearings and basic cables and shine it up for you? No thanks. I can put top of the line crap in for 1/3 of that and be done in less time than the driving to/from the shop twice.
no, that would be the pro version usually. The 'deluxe' is typically somewhere between $150-200. Parts are usually extra, so should feel free to specify which brand of whatnot you want.
Regardless, are you offering to go to the OP's house to do this work for him pro bono?
Old 05-01-22, 07:00 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
no, that would be the pro version usually. The 'deluxe' is typically somewhere between $150-200. Parts are usually extra, so should feel free to specify which brand of whatnot you want.
Regardless, are you offering to go to the OP's house to do this work for him pro bono?
If it it was not implicit, learn to do really basic maintenance yourself. It will be faster, cheaper, and much better than having a HS kid monkey around with your machine.

I have never found a shop to stock NTN LLB bearings or similar. They only stock garbage bearings.
Old 05-01-22, 07:42 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
If shifter cables need to be replaced frequently/continuously the shifter design is defective. Everyone knows who is making the defective shifters. Why is that manufacturer still in business? Why would anyone buy their products? Instead the chief offender has massive loyalty.

400,000 career miles. Never broke a shifter cable. A few replaced here and there for various reasons, never because they were wearing out. One set of cables on the Cinelli did last the 100,000 mile life of that bike. The wife’s primary bike has had two repaints while using same cables. Just no reason to be changing them.
Old 05-01-22, 08:46 AM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 288 Posts
In all my years I've ridden, with different style bikes, I have never broken a shifter cable.
I do maintain adjustments and have used friction style shifters except for one mountain bike,
This is the only cable that will need to be replaced on a used bike I picked up.
Old 05-01-22, 09:17 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
If shifter cables need to be replaced frequently/continuously the shifter design is defective. Everyone knows who is making the defective shifters. Why is that manufacturer still in business? Why would anyone buy their products? Instead the chief offender has massive loyalty.

400,000 career miles. Never broke a shifter cable. A few replaced here and there for various reasons, never because they were wearing out. One set of cables on the Cinelli did last the 100,000 mile life of that bike. The wife’s primary bike has had two repaints while using same cables. Just no reason to be changing them.
Because they're called 'Shimano'. 400,000 miles, yeah? You've never had a job? It sounds like you don't use integrated shifters and you're just ranting about your own experience. If you'd seen the huge number of broken/frayed cables I've seen and replaced your opinion might be a little different. Cables also frayed and broke in Campy Ergo shifters for years and years, thousands of riders have been poked in the thumb by a frayed cable next to the thumb button. Unfortunately it's the price we pay for cool integrated levers. Because this happens with such regularity there is definitely reason to change cables as preventative maintenance.
Old 05-01-22, 09:18 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by 63rickert
You're right - an annual $3 shifter cable, for a groupset that otherwise performs exceptionally well, is just a bridge too far. I'll start researching alternatives. Thank you for the insight and perspective.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-01-22, 09:37 AM
biker222

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
You can open the grey access plate on shifter side after peeling back the hood from bar and usually see signs of fraying.
If I see no fraying or feel any smooth shifting issue I'll keep using cable. I been getting close to 3yrs (10-12k).
Rear shifter goes first.
Old 05-01-22, 09:49 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Random11
I once thought that one advantage of mechanical shifters is that you don't have to be concerned about your battery dying.
Just thought I'd come back to add this: with electronic shifting systems (any brand), a battery (or battery charge) lasts a looong time, is easily checked/verified, and the two systems with which I am familiar (SRAM and Shimano) have backup/failsafe systems. A mid-ride dead battery would require negligence to the point of abject stupidity.
Old 05-01-22, 11:36 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
You're right - an annual $3 shifter cable, for a groupset that otherwise performs exceptionally well, is just a bridge too far. I'll start researching alternatives. Thank you for the insight and perspective.
Do I detect a note, a hint, a whiff... of sarcasm?
Old 05-01-22, 11:54 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
According to my logs, I've got about 2500 miles on my 105 STIs. I decided it best to take the advice in this thread and I ordered new cables and housings this morning. Seems like a small price to pay to avoid riding home in a gear I don't want to be in.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 05-01-22, 12:16 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Because they're called 'Shimano'. 400,000 miles, yeah? You've never had a job? It sounds like you don't use integrated shifters and you're just ranting about your own experience. If you'd seen the huge number of broken/frayed cables I've seen and replaced your opinion might be a little different. Cables also frayed and broke in Campy Ergo shifters for years and years, thousands of riders have been poked in the thumb by a frayed cable next to the thumb button. Unfortunately it's the price we pay for cool integrated levers. Because this happens with such regularity there is definitely reason to change cables as preventative maintenance.
When I was doing 12,000 miles a year work did take a bit of a back seat. But was still working forty hours. Why the ad hominem? Some of us like to ride bikes even when not paid for it. Some of us were riding decades before “cool” integrated shifters existed.

You are replacing cables weekly and you want to insist this is a good design.

When I used Ergo for twelve years never had to replace a cable. Used same shifters and cables on three different bikes. Gave those shifters and cables away and so far as I know they are in use another ten years later. Current owner does have a lot of bikes and rides them rather gently.

Both bikes ridden so far today have no shifters and don’t even coast. Is that cool? I have no idea what would qualify as cool. It works or it doesn’t. Parts that can’t be trusted past one week basically don’t work.
Old 05-01-22, 12:35 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10159 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
Once a season on my 6800 and 5800 shifters. Never-ish on my old 7800 ones.
Old 05-01-22, 12:52 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Once a season on my 6800 and 5800 shifters. Never-ish on my old 7800 ones.
I wish all of the folks offering data points would also list their shifters, as you have. I don't think I ever broke a cable on downtube shifters, but integrated brake/shifter levers - especially with cables under the bar tape - are a different beast.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-01-22, 01:03 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Shifter cables should never break but there are the cheap type and the "expensive" type ($5 more per cable) with the latter being thicker and having more metal strands. Standard Campagnolo cables were thicker than average and rarely broke. It is important to be sure that the cable housing does not have any sharp edges and to file them down if present. The housing has a metal core and when cut to length there can be sharp edges that can quickly abrade the wire cable.
Old 05-01-22, 01:29 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10159 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I wish all of the folks offering data points would also list their shifters, as you have. I don't think I ever broke a cable on downtube shifters, but integrated brake/shifter levers - especially with cables under the bar tape - are a different beast.
So long ago, but I’m pretty sure I’ve broken cables on downtube shifters after years of gross neglect. I certainly remember replacing them. Wire hates tight radii.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 05-01-22, 02:22 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Koyote
I wish all of the folks offering data points would also list their shifters, as you have.
My most recent episode was a couple of weeks ago, when it stopped shifting to the smallest cog. Being lunkheaded, my first thought was to adjust the limit screw, which allowed it to shift normally. About 20 miles in to the next ride, it stopped shifting to the three smallest cogs and I realized what was happening. This was at ~10k miles on 8000 series levers. 5700 and 6800 was worse.
Old 05-01-22, 02:26 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Calsun
Shifter cables should never break but there are the cheap type and the "expensive" type ($5 more per cable) with the latter being thicker and having more metal strands. Standard Campagnolo cables were thicker than average and rarely broke. It is important to be sure that the cable housing does not have any sharp edges and to file them down if present. The housing has a metal core and when cut to length there can be sharp edges that can quickly abrade the wire cable.
Recent Shimano, with under-the-tape routing, typically start to fray at the first bend of the cable, within the lever body and well before it reaches any housing.
Old 05-01-22, 02:30 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by sweeks
Do I detect a note, a hint, a whiff... of sarcasm?
From me? Nooooo.
Likes For WhyFi:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.