Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

NYD trip to Bletchley Park

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-20, 03:43 PM
rmwesley

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts

Spent New Year's Day looking around Bletchley Park which was absolutely fascinating. If you ever get a chance it is well worth seeing the history and immense intellectual effort associated with cracking the German WWII Enigma codes.

Bike pics to follow but I've included a few pics of the main house, an Enigma machine and a Typex machine if anyone is interested in these. I've got a short video of a replica Bombe in action also but not sure if I can upload this.

Bikes were displayed in a shed in the grounds and were behind a chain link so the quality of the pics isn't brilliant I'm afraid. Not sure if there is anything of real C&V interest or if they were just show bikes. Would be interested to hear back.

Bletchley Park main house

Enigma machine

Typex machine
Likes For rmwesley:
Old 01-01-20, 03:45 PM
rmwesley

C&V interest (1)

Old 01-01-20, 03:48 PM
rmwesley

C&V interest (2)

Old 01-01-20, 04:50 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 661 Posts
history drips from that place ! really the dawn of the modern computer industry.

there's a story about Allen Turing riding his bike to Bletchley Park and noticing the chain skipped because a bent chainring tooth hit a sticky link in the chain.

So he calculated the number of links and the number of chainring teeth and how far he'd have to ride to make them intersect. A simple factoring problem related to cryptography.

I hate those concrete slots ! Will bend your rim for sure.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 01-01-20, 04:55 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Fabulous!! I'd love to see that place. I love movies about the code breaking efforts that went on there.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-01-20, 05:45 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I wonder if some of those parts on those bikes that are normally chromed are painted black because of wartime chrome rationing. I know that was a thing here in the states with a lot of wartime production items like cameras.
Old 01-02-20, 10:25 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I would like to know the back story of the bikes. Were they government owned bikes for the Bletchley staff, or privately owned bikes left behind? It appears from the photos that they are left out in the weather - is that the case?

Great thread.
Old 01-02-20, 12:32 PM
rmwesley

Originally Posted by dweenk
I would like to know the back story of the bikes. Were they government owned bikes for the Bletchley staff, or privately owned bikes left behind? It appears from the photos that they are left out in the weather - is that the case?

Great thread.
Thanks The bikes were covered above but in the open air. Unsure if they were "staged" or actually originals used to get around camp. I know my pictures aren't great but was hoping someone might be able to date them to the nearest decade. The rest of the museum and displays contained a mix of staged displays (but using artefacts from the correct era, e.g. typewriters, clothes, maps etc.) and completely authentic material (e.g. codebooks, letters, encrypted & unencrypted messages etc.). They had the original typescript of the decoded Zimmermann Telegram which brought the USA into WWII.

After doing a bit of googling it seems as though Alan Turing's bicycle mentioned above was / is displayed at the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney.
Old 01-02-20, 01:19 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by rmwesley
Thanks The bikes were covered above but in the open air. Unsure if they were "staged" or actually originals used to get around camp. I know my pictures aren't great but was hoping someone might be able to date them to the nearest decade. The rest of the museum and displays contained a mix of staged displays (but using artefacts from the correct era, e.g. typewriters, clothes, maps etc.) and completely authentic material (e.g. codebooks, letters, encrypted & unencrypted messages etc.). They had the original typescript of the decoded Zimmermann Telegram which brought the USA into WWII.

After doing a bit of googling it seems as though Alan Turing's bicycle mentioned above was / is displayed at the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney.
I am in no way an expert able to accurately date these bikes, but my best guess is that they are post war. I am thinking late 40's to early 60's. War bikes would not have had chrome parts (especially at a sensitive site like Bletchley). Perhaps they were nearly period correct and could be staged as an example.
Old 08-19-21, 03:44 PM
Binky

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 57 Posts
I am pretty sure that the three people in the first picture, the one you took of the front of the main building at Bletchley, are me, my wife. and our friend Roger from Greenwich who drove us up there that day.

Bink.
Likes For Binky:
Old 08-19-21, 05:40 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Binky
I am pretty sure that the three people in the first picture, the one you took of the front of the main building at Bletchley, are me, my wife. and our friend Roger from Greenwich who drove us up there that day.

Bink.
Wow! That's the definition of random

DD
Old 08-19-21, 06:26 PM
Binky

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 57 Posts
Before the pandemic hit my wife and I were active international cat-sitters. We were cat-sitting in NOLA when the Covid thing started, and were scheduled to cat-sit in Stockholm in Sweden for the summer but Air Canada cancelled our flights.

We spent several winters cat-sitting for a woman in Greenwich, London, and got out for day trips to places like Bletchley as required. The best tomato soup to be had in the British Isles is served at the cafeteria at Bletchley Park.

Bink
Old 09-01-21, 04:26 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by rmwesley

Minor quibble: the Zimmerman Telegram brought the US into World War I, not World War II.

British cryptography has a far longer history than Bletchley Park - it extends back to at least World War I and probably before. (Bletchley Park became the center for such activity shortly before World War II if I recall correctly.) Prior to that, such work was done elsewhere. In particular, the Zimmerman Telegram was broken at the British Admiralty's Room 40 operation in London.

For anyone interested, the Wikipedia articles on "Bletchley Park", "Zimmerman Telegram", and "Room 40" provide a good intro and some background on all 3 subjects. (I'd post links, but per Bike Forums rules I'm "not old enough yet". [smile]) Many other sources exist that provide far more details for those interested.

Not trying to one-up anyone. I just have a keen interest in history, and also in this subject in particular. Just wanted to set the record straight.

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-01-21 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Correct missing-character typo in original.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 09-01-21, 12:11 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
I’m trying to think of an American equivalent to Bletchley Park- did the US COINTEL operation have a center like Bletchley Park?

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-01-21, 02:38 PM
rmwesley

Originally Posted by Binky

Bink.
Only just spotted this... What an amazing co-incidence. Makes you think what other co-incidences & sliding doors moments we have in our lives.

If only we'd known, we could have gone for a tomato soup together
Old 09-01-21, 04:08 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Golden Boy:

US similar activities were the Army's Signal Intelligence Service operations at Arlington Hall Station (later absorbed into the National Security Agency; broke the Venona code and uncovered the Soviet espionage against the Manhattan Project) and US Navy Commander Joseph Rochefort's efforts at Pearl Harbor in Honolulu (which broke the Japanese codes that led to US victory at Midway). Both were instrumental, and the Army's effort IMO appears to have rivaled that at Bletchley Park in terms of scope. The Wikipedia articles on both are good intros.

But the Bletchley Park effort was probably vastly more effective overall. After all, they had Alan Turing - and geniuses like that are kinda rare. (smile)

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-01-21 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Forgot to quote original, so text added to indicate to whom I was replying. Brain cramp on my part. (smile)
Likes For Hondo6: