Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Vertical tandem hitch rack?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-20, 01:48 AM
Walter1001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Does anyone have experience with the CycleSimplex One Tandem Hitch Rack? I can't find any reviews of it, and it isn't mentioned in earlier threads about tandem racks. This rack can be viewed at the CycleSimplex website. It can only carry a single tandem bike, but (a) carries the tandem vertically, so it doesn't stick out on both sides of the car; (b) appears to be easy for the rider(s) to load the bike on the rack; and (c) is only about $300. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-21-20, 01:10 PM
joeruge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
Walter1001,

Since I've never used the rack allow me to give you some useless input...

Just looked at their video. The rack seems fairly secure and straightforward. I wonder how much sway, left and right, the bike would have. The video makes it look like there wouldn't be much. That could be a product of very few parts; essentially an upside down 'T.'' One part of the crossing goes into the receiver. The other part of the crossing accepts the rear wheel. The long part of the 'T' attaches to the seatposts.

I would wonder if there is an easy way to get access to the rear hatch door on the vehicle they are showing in the video. Perhaps this is something you have to give for the low price. Even with the very expensive Draftmaster, you have to futz around with the tandem to open the hatch, though I don't think you'd have to completely dismount the tandem, In this one, you might actually have to take the rack off to open the hatch. The 'J' bolt thing should work pretty securely, but you may want to add some foam or something where the bike frame contacts the rack to protect your paint job. I like the fact that you can get the bike on the rack without removing the front wheel, definitely a plus! This does make really high, though. Better watch out pulling into gas stations, checking into hotels and going into parking garages.

I built my own vertical rack (I have a shop with welding equipment) similar to the Draftmaster design. It still probably cost me over $150 - and there is so much sway that I have to add some additional straps. The sway comes mostly from all the articulation the rack has. You can get access to the rear by just lowering the bike. You don't have to remove it from the rack, or remove the rack form the receiver.

As far as I can see, it doesn't look like a bad deal. Hopefully someone who has actually used one will give you a better evaluation rather then me, a guy who knows nothing of value.

Last edited by joeruge; 02-21-20 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-21-20, 04:11 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
I wouldn't use that rack with CF seatposts. (not that you cant clamp to CF, but the hassle of getting torque right and not scratching each time you loaded the bike would be a headache.)

Also you're going to have to do something to strap the captains bars in place so they don't flop around.

And as pointed out above, access to the hatch appears to be a problem.

i think its a case of you get what you pay for. This rack will likely work with some little aggravations.

Conversely, a Draftmaster, imho, works very well and is extremely easy to use. You have access to the hatch, even with bikes on the rack, with a very easy move, and no need to remove the bikes. And the Draftmaster can be configured to carry a combination of tandems and single bikes

But the Draftmaster is substantially more money.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-21-20, 05:20 PM
apage4u
Santana Couple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have years of experience with Draftmaster. You will need to use the supplied straps to stabilize it. I also purchase a steel tube to replace the forward tube to lower the angle so it fit closer to the trunk on a sedan. The stock configuration is set up for an suv or van.
Old 02-26-20, 03:12 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
I quit using the straps years ago with no adverse consequences.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-04-20, 10:16 AM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Overhead branches