Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bitten by Tubeless

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bitten by Tubeless

Old 12-27-19, 03:46 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I just grabbed my Varia to charge it after my 69 (giggidy) mile ride. I noticed a bit of schmutz on it. Checked my rear tire - yup, a little more than 10 psi lower than when I set out this morning. This is pretty much my typical tubeless experience.
Old 12-27-19, 05:17 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Does anyone put sealant inside their tubes? I was wondering about this yesterday when I took a valve core out of a spare to give it to the kid, who needed it for his high-maintenance tubeless setup. (Why do they have removable valve cores in tubes?)

Apart from having 100 ml of fluid sloshing around, would there be any disadvantage to putting sealant in tubes?
When I lived in Northern ID with plenty of those goatheads, I bought tubes that came new with slime in them. Worked fine. This was the goopy green stuff that they sell for cars and yard equipment, but I see no reason why the latex based tubeless sealants would work any different.

Living in MI now, I rarely get flats and have certainly spent more time at home messing with getting tubeless to work than I have spent fixing flats. I'd love a tubeless setup that I could run without sealant, but they all seem to require some glue to seal up enough to be ride-worthy.
Likes For Caliper:
Old 12-27-19, 05:32 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Am I happy about things like rim tape and the cost of tubeless tires? Umm, no. But I had exactly two flats in 2019-- over 10k miles-- and both resulted in the total loss of the tire.
What tires are you using on the road bike? Schwalbe G-One Speed tires are about $44 at Merlin Cycles.

No flats in 2019(over 10k miles), and the ride is fast/smooth.
Old 12-27-19, 06:54 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I just grabbed my Varia to charge it after my 69 (giggidy) mile ride. I noticed a bit of schmutz on it. Checked my rear tire - yup, a little more than 10 psi lower than when I set out this morning. This is pretty much my typical tubeless experience.
That's been pretty much my experience. Seals up in about one revolution. Sometimes I feel it on a leg, most times I don't know it even happened.

My personal opinions about tubeless, having in excess of 40k miles sans-tubes:

Do you get a lot of puncture flats? Like more than 1-2 a month?
Do you ride a lot of miles, like more than 100 miles a week, and answered yes to question 1?

Then tubeless is absolutely for you. Otherwise, maybe not. Barring tires like Hardshells, I would get flats every 6 days or so. I live in the unofficial goathead and bottle glass capital of the world. So tubeless, absolutely.

Am I happy about things like rim tape and the cost of tubeless tires? Umm, no. But I had exactly two flats in 2019-- over 10k miles-- and both resulted in the total loss of the tire.
I ride on primarily rural highways that don't ever get swept. Before tubeless, I was getting a flat about every 400-500 miles. After going tubeless, I get somewhere around 6000 miles per flat - so little, I don't bother keeping track anymore. Big advantage for me since I'm riding in a forested area and stopping to change tubes during certain times of the year is to invite the loss of significant blood volume to mosquitos (Minnesota State Bird).

But I do agree that it's going to be situational.

Originally Posted by noodle soup
What tires are you using on the road bike? Schwalbe G-One Speed tires are about $44 at Merlin Cycles.

No flats in 2019(over 10k miles), and the ride is fast/smooth.
I've been using the both the Schwalbe Pro 1 and the G-1 speeds on my gravel bike. Both tires feel much better without a tube, more supple. The G-1 speeds feel like I was driving a truck with tubes. When I set them up tubeless, felt noticeably better. That said, I was paying a lot more attention to inflation pressure after the change to tubeless but I wasn't far enough off before to matter that much.
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 12-28-19, 04:25 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Looking through the offerings from various online retailers I find road tubeless tyres to be an expensive proposition and then there is the sealant, and new rims. - All to solve issues that are largely self imposed by running too thin and fragile race day tyres, all the time. The other solution is to stop fussing over 100g and a few watt rolling resistance and run less fragile tubed tyres at 1/2 the price and 2x the longevity. At least wile training. The likelihood of having a big gash like OPs instant flat is greatly reduced too.

Mind you, I used to get a lot of flats running cheap training tyres that couldn't resist sharp flints. From that perspective tubeless was tempting, but price made me try out different other tubed tyres before taking the plunge. Im glad I did. Since getting tyres with a kevlar belt i have had exactly one flat. Currently running both the lifeline prime race and amour. I see no reason to move on to expensive TL tyres and the associated faff, to solve an issue that is already solved.

Last edited by Racing Dan; 12-28-19 at 04:38 AM.
Old 12-28-19, 05:00 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I can only go by my experience with my Mavic Ksyrium Elite USTs. And, that's been one season. However, the tubeless replace some Mavic Aksiums that came on my new CAAD 12. They are lighter, smoother, more comfortable and easier to spin up. I've had zero problems with set up or use. And, at about $400 a set w/tires they are a killer deal. I'm not going back.
Old 12-28-19, 05:06 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Funny thing is that’s my latex tube experience as well. Butyl dies the instant it’s compromised. Earlier this year I went to check AG’s tires the day after a ride. Rear was dead. Pulled out the construction staple, easy clean tube change, done. The latex held pressure enough that the ride was finished without noticing

It depends greatly not just on frequency but nature of the flat. Her previous flat was a 3” nail that ripped a half-inch hole in her tire and put an extra smoke hole in her rim. Luckily it ONLY hit the bed of her Knot64 and the rim survived, but as it was barely at the halfway point of a large loop (of course) we had to risk going back on a boot, which barely held.

Tubeless has mostly not taken off in the tri geek community, even among those like me who experimented.
Old 12-28-19, 05:49 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Funny thing is that’s my latex tube experience as well. Butyl dies the instant it’s compromised. Earlier this year I went to check AG’s tires the day after a ride. Rear was dead. Pulled out the construction staple, easy clean tube change, done. The latex held pressure enough that the ride was finished without noticing

It depends greatly not just on frequency but nature of the flat. Her previous flat was a 3” nail that ripped a half-inch hole in her tire and put an extra smoke hole in her rim. Luckily it ONLY hit the bed of her Knot64 and the rim survived, but as it was barely at the halfway point of a large loop (of course) we had to risk going back on a boot, which barely held.

Tubeless has mostly not taken off in the tri geek community, even among those like me who experimented.
Well, the difference is that my "fix" wasn't replacing a tube, it was putting 10psi back in.

As far as the tri community, I was just read an article the other day about the adoption rate and how it differs between the pro and amateur ranks - the author compared it to wet suit use years back. Anyway, he says that, at the least, the top men are moving towards it.
Old 12-28-19, 08:57 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
Count me out on tubeless, road or otherwise. There just isn't any part of them that interests me. I repair motorcycles and change tires; anyone who brings me a tire job with sealant in them is headed right back out the door.
Old 12-28-19, 09:47 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Count me out on tubeless, road or otherwise. There just isn't any part of them that interests me. I repair motorcycles and change tires; anyone who brings me a tire job with sealant in them is headed right back out the door.
If you ride off-road in my area(Greater Phoenix) and don't go tubeless w/sealant, you'll spend more time repairing flats than you will riding.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 12-28-19, 10:02 AM
reconnaissance

Bikes: Trek 850, Trek 510, Cannondale 300m, Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Bianchi Virata

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts
I rode the desert trails for 8 years in the North Valley there with only one flat tire. Still, these trails offer plenty of opportunity for snake-bites (both kinds).
Old 12-28-19, 04:01 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
My personal opinions about tubeless, having in excess of 40k miles sans-tubes:

Do you get a lot of puncture flats? Like more than 1-2 a month?
Do you ride a lot of miles, like more than 100 miles a week, and answered yes to question 1?

Then tubeless is absolutely for you. Otherwise, maybe not. Barring tires like Hardshells, I would get flats every 6 days or so. I live in the unofficial goathead and bottle glass capital of the world. So tubeless, absolutely.

I have 5 bikes and 10 spare wheels, most of which are tired, aired up and ready to ride. Some bikes sit for months without attention then get grabbed on a lark. I like that with tubes, all are ready to go with just a pump up.

Ben
Old 12-28-19, 06:12 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
I got stranded with a flat on tubeless because I couldn't figure out how to remove enough of the tire to insert a tube. Now that I understand what to do, I'm still nervous it'll happen again. As odd as it sounds, I don't notice much of a difference vs. clinchers.

Sometimes instead, I wish that I bought tubular wheels because I know for certain how to perform a roadside swap, and tubulars have a much more distinctive lightweight feel than tubeless.
Likes For Robert A:
Old 12-28-19, 08:04 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Robert A
I got stranded with a flat on tubeless because I couldn't figure out how to remove enough of the tire to insert a tube. Now that I understand what to do, I'm still nervous it'll happen again.
Old 12-28-19, 08:09 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
You wouldn't be rolling on the floor laughing if it happened to you in the middle of a rainstorm, outside of cell range. It wasn't fun.
Likes For Robert A:
Old 12-28-19, 08:09 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Removal of the tire is the opposite of installation.
Old 12-28-19, 08:18 PM
noodle soup

You wouldn't be rolling on the floor laughing if it happened to you in the middle of a rainstorm, outside of cell range. It wasn't fun.
How is any different than changing a tubed clincher? Sure it can be a little harder to get the tire off, but you "couldn't figure it out".

I'm still laughing about that.
Old 12-28-19, 10:13 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
One reason I rode tubulars for so long was that I could always change out the tire and get home. In the dark, very tired, inebriated, in the rain, below freezing. And in not much more than 5 minutes. So if I was in a place that wasn't the smartest place to hang out, I knew I could leave. (And if it was a really marginal area, I could ride on the flatted rim and not stop at all. Probably the end of that being a nice rim, but I would get to keep it and the rest of the bike.)

Ben
Old 12-29-19, 09:19 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
road (high pressure, 23 or 25C): tubes
MTB: tubeless
track and TT: tubular
Likes For TMonk:
Old 12-29-19, 09:32 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Question for the tubeless owners that ride a lot and would have flatted a lot with conventional tires and tubes. I assume that the debris that would have flatted conventional tires is embedded in your tubeless tires. Obviously, the tire casing is compromised. Do you try to identity and remove debris such as glass?
Old 12-29-19, 09:45 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Hermes
Question for the tubeless owners that ride a lot and would have flatted a lot with conventional tires and tubes. I assume that the debris that would have flatted conventional tires is embedded in your tubeless tires. Obviously, the tire casing is compromised. Do you try to identity and remove debris such as glass?
I'll let you know when it happens.

11k miles on road tubeless this year, and I haven't flatted yet.The tires might be a little more expensive, but not buying tubes or CO2, saves more than the difference in cost.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 12-29-19, 09:47 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
If you ride off-road in my area(Greater Phoenix) and don't go tubeless w/sealant, you'll spend more time repairing flats than you will riding.
How would tubed w/ sealant be any different from tubeless w/ sealant?
Old 12-29-19, 10:08 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Hermes
I used to look for puncture sites when I noticed some sealant spray, but I don't bother most of the time any more. I haven't yet seen a puncture that sealed yet compromised the casing enough to show a bulge. I still inspect my tires occasionally, but I'm mostly looking at cuts and wear, and can't recall coming across embedded debris.
Old 12-29-19, 10:12 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
I'm not sure those "Slime" tubes ever worked or did more than make a mess and make patching a tube more difficult.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 12-29-19, 10:22 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Caliper
tubes pinch flat easily when running at low pressure, and sealant isn't going to stop the leak.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.