Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

What road wheelset/tire for Cannondale Topstone Carbon

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-20, 05:20 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Looking to add a second set of wheels/tire for dedicated road use. Any thoughts on a good wheel/tire combo that won't break the bank? I know there is funky spacing on the rear of this bike, so what needs to be taken into consideration for this?

Finally...in addition to the wheels, I know I need a cassette and disc, right? Anything else?
Old 06-16-20, 01:40 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
A shop can re-dish the rear wheel to the Cannondale offset for minimal cost, so I'd suggest just buying whatever wheels you want and plan to have that done. And, you could swap discs and cassette from your current wheelset, but if you want to simplify the process and swap wheels often it's best to buy a second set of these for your new wheels.

Without a budget in mind, it's hard to make recommendations on wheelsets. That said, I feel like when I'm ready to buy a set of road wheels for my new bike, I'll probably go for the Mavic Ksyrium UST Disc.
$550 for a relatively light wheel/tire combo that is tubeless: https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/ksyrium...html#1028=3283
Old 06-17-20, 06:37 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Continental GP 5000 700x32. Smooth as butter, fast as lightning, light as a cloud.
Likes For Hmmm:
Old 06-17-20, 03:38 PM
kosmo886

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Hmmm
Continental GP 5000 700x32. Smooth as butter, fast as lightning, light as a cloud.
with what wheels?
Old 06-18-20, 01:36 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
with what wheels?
Ah this I am not sure as I too am looking for a second set of wheels. Since I have the stock boat anchor Giant PX2's that came with my bike, I figure anything will be lighter. I was looking at Hunt 4 Season wheels. They are in the price range of what I want to spend. a.k.a. affordable.
Old 06-18-20, 07:29 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
I'd highly recommend getting two wheelsets with the same hubs or there's a good chance you will be adjusting the brake calipers every time you switch. Even with the same hubs it's not a guarantee they're an exact match in terms of spacing/adjustment.
Old 06-18-20, 08:03 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
Looking to add a second set of wheels/tire for dedicated road use. Any thoughts on a good wheel/tire combo that won't break the bank? I know there is funky spacing on the rear of this bike, so what needs to be taken into consideration for this?

Finally...in addition to the wheels, I know I need a cassette and disc, right? Anything else?
Mason x Hunt is a popular wheel for smaller brands to spec on their bikes. It was co-developed between Hunt and bike brand Mason. https://us.huntbikewheels.com/produc...tubeless-ready

Hope RS4 is another popular wheel fro smaller brands to spec on their bikes. https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/h...0c-126214.html and https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/h...00c-95181.html. This comes in a couple different spoke counts.

Prowheelbuilder.com is an excellent company and you can mix n match wheel components to make whatever you want. The site has a house brand gravel wheel that uses quality hubs, double butted spokes, brass nipples, and a common house branded rim- costs $450ish for all that.

There are tons of wheel options out there, so here are 3 that are in the same relative price range of $400-475.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-18-20, 08:34 AM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
i'd highly recommend getting two wheelsets with the same hubs or there's a good chance you will be adjusting the brake calipers every time you switch. Even with the same hubs it's not a guarantee they're an exact match in terms of spacing/adjustment.
+1
Old 09-20-20, 06:24 AM
iflyadesk

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shoota
I'd highly recommend getting two wheelsets with the same hubs or there's a good chance you will be adjusting the brake calipers every time you switch. Even with the same hubs it's not a guarantee they're an exact match in terms of spacing/adjustment.
You don’t have to have identical hubs to swap wheels easily. Just get disc brake shims. Align your calipers to the hub that has the rotor the farthest away then add shims to the hub that is not until it doesn’t rub. They make shims for both 6-bolt and centerlock rotors.
Likes For iflyadesk:
Old 09-21-20, 07:50 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by iflyadesk
You don’t have to have identical hubs to swap wheels easily. Just get disc brake shims. Align your calipers to the hub that has the rotor the farthest away then add shims to the hub that is not until it doesn’t rub. They make shims for both 6-bolt and centerlock rotors.
That's a great solution. I will look more into these shims.
Old 09-23-20, 01:00 AM
Prodigy4299

Bikes: 1990 Trek 850, 2005 Cannondale R1000, 2019 Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Was going to write exactly this verbatim. Excellent response.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Mason x Hunt is a popular wheel for smaller brands to spec on their bikes. It was co-developed between Hunt and bike brand Mason. https://us.huntbikewheels.com/produc...tubeless-ready

Hope RS4 is another popular wheel fro smaller brands to spec on their bikes. https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/h...0c-126214.html and https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/h...00c-95181.html. This comes in a couple different spoke counts.

Prowheelbuilder.com is an excellent company and you can mix n match wheel components to make whatever you want. The site has a house brand gravel wheel that uses quality hubs, double butted spokes, brass nipples, and a common house branded rim- costs $450ish for all that.

There are tons of wheel options out there, so here are 3 that are in the same relative price range of $400-475.