Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Riding on actual gravel

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-21, 10:51 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
Because packed gravel with dirt is called a gravel road. I suppose nobody is about riding on deep, loose packed gravel if that is what you thought the term should mean. I think the only places you'll really find that is a playground or a runaway truck ramp? Surfaces covered in this way are usually fairly small in area and don't take you anywhere, so what's the point in riding on them anyways? But if you've ever taken a shovel to a gravel road or driveway, you'll see that it's much more gravel than dirt due to all that gravel having been worked into the ground for years. This is what a gravel road is, so I don't see the issue. Gravel bikes are great for gravel roads so this side of things has always made plenty of sense to me.
Which leads me to conclude that "gravel riding" is really is misnomer. It shold probably be "off-road" riding or maybe "dirt riding." But clearly those roads are not primarily gravel.
Glad we finally cleared that up.
Old 01-01-21, 11:08 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Helldorado
Which leads me to conclude that "gravel riding" is really is misnomer. It shold probably be "off-road" riding or maybe "dirt riding." But clearly those roads are not primarily gravel.
Because "off road riding" would clearly be a better way to describe riding on a gravel road than "gravel riding". I guess all the drivers I see on gravel roads would be thrilled to know that their Toyota Corolla is a fabulous offroader.

But hey, you do you.
Likes For Caliper:
Old 01-02-21, 12:34 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10959 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
Ok, ill hop back into this cesspool..

Saying gravel riding is 'off road' riding is dumb. Gravel roads are roads. You complain about gravel being a misnomer, but thing 'off road' is a good alternative?

Call it unpaved riding, if you really need to have a term that is both accurate and general.

I see you still haven't learned what an improved gravel road is and why it differs from a dirt/unimproved road from design and academic perspectives.

Really though, let's say you change everyone's mind and as a country/world we all suddenly no longer call unpaved improved roads 'gravel roads'.
Has anything actually changed? Is there an actual point to the complaining? Really- what does it matter?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-02-21, 10:59 PM
Helldorado

Originally Posted by Caliper
Because "off road riding" would clearly be a better way to describe riding on a gravel road than "gravel riding". I guess all the drivers I see on gravel roads would be thrilled to know that their Toyota Corolla is a fabulous offroader.

But hey, you do you.
We've already established that what the cycling community commonly refers to as "gravel roads" is really hard-packed dirt and stones / small rocks / pebbles of varying sizes mixed in to form a conglomerate of sorts; that's different from pure gravel like one might find in a landscaped path. I'm not arguing that cyclists (even I do it) like to call their off-road rides "gravel rides;" I'm just establishing the fact that the term is a misnomer. Words matter and have intrinsic meaning, whether you agree with them or not.
Old 01-02-21, 11:02 PM
Helldorado

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Ok, ill hop back into this cesspool..

Saying gravel riding is 'off road' riding is dumb. Gravel roads are roads. You complain about gravel being a misnomer, but thing 'off road' is a good alternative?

Call it unpaved riding, if you really need to have a term that is both accurate and general.

I see you still haven't learned what an improved gravel road is and why it differs from a dirt/unimproved road from design and academic perspectives.

Really though, let's say you change everyone's mind and as a country/world we all suddenly no longer call unpaved improved roads 'gravel roads'.
Has anything actually changed? Is there an actual point to the complaining? Really- what does it matter?
Settle down, Beavis. I'm not complaining, merely pointing out a factual inaccuracy. If that makes you uncomfortable, I'm sorry to have unsettled you. I have no desire to make people change their nomenclature. But gravel is gravel, not dirt and a few pebbles mixed in.
Old 01-02-21, 11:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10959 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
Settle down, Beavis. I'm not complaining, merely pointing out a factual inaccuracy. If that makes you uncomfortable, I'm sorry to have unsettled you. I have no desire to make people change their nomenclature. But gravel is gravel, not dirt and a few pebbles mixed in.
Right, so there is no real point to this because everyone already recognizes that roads aren't built with 100% gravel and nothing else. This was established a page or two ago...I'm guessing you still haven't read the link.
We drive on parkways, we park on driveways, and we ride on gravel roads even if they arent 100% pure gravel.

Great, we get it.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-02-21, 11:23 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
We've already established that what the cycling community commonly refers to as "gravel roads" is really hard-packed dirt and stones / small rocks / pebbles of varying sizes mixed in to form a conglomerate of sorts; that's different from pure gravel like one might find in a landscaped path.
Not only the cycling community, but also nearly every DOT in the US.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 01-02-21, 11:47 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
We've already established that what the cycling community commonly refers to as "gravel roads" is really hard-packed dirt and stones / small rocks / pebbles of varying sizes mixed in to form a conglomerate of sorts; that's different from pure gravel like one might find in a landscaped path. I'm not arguing that cyclists (even I do it) like to call their off-road rides "gravel rides;" I'm just establishing the fact that the term is a misnomer. Words matter and have intrinsic meaning, whether you agree with them or not.
It's not just the cycling community, you are virtually repeating the definition of a gravel road in laymans terms. I'm sorry that the definition of these words does not match your preconception, but when cyclists speak of riding on a gravel road, it's because we are riding on what multiple departments of transportation call a gravel road. Check Wikipedia, check their sources, a gravel road is not 100% pure stone by definition.

If you really want to argue strictly from the dictionary, Websters has this as part of the definition of the word "gravel" https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gravel 2b) also : a surface covered with gravel
Now, to define "covered" https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/covered 4b)
to appear here and there on the surface of
Thus, an area with gravel appearing here and there across it's surface meets the Websters definition. This is the form that m
y own state of Michigan seems to prefer anyways, although this varies by road district.

No, I do not think we should call off road rides "gravel rides" This seems to be a western US thing where milder MTB trails and other offroad trails are called "gravel". A gravel road is, by definition, NOT offroad. It is just off-pavement. Of course, it is also possible that if one refers to a "gravel bike ride", that could simply mean that they are riding a gravel bike (ie: a bike that works optimally on a gravel road), regardless of where they are riding it. Much like a "mountain bike ride" involves no actual mountains for most of the US.
Likes For Caliper:
Old 01-03-21, 06:16 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I think we have covered this subject fairly well and any further discussion will probably start to look like full-blown anklebiting.
Feel free to continue the discussion at the aggregateworld.com forums.
Closed
Likes For unterhausen: