Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

S-Works Tarmac SL5 vs Scott Addict RC 40

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-23-21, 01:55 PM
thorbjorn101

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys, I have the opportunity now to upgrade my road bike and was wondering what to go for, one of my friends is upgrading from his Tarmac SL5 to the SL7 so he needs to let go of his SL5, that is where I step in and can get it from him. I have had my eyes on the new Scott Addict RC 40 but I can get them for the same price, any suggestions on which one to go for?
I can't post the links since I haven't made 10 posts here
The main differences in specs are:

Scott Addict RC 40:
Aluminum rims
Disc brakes
Shimano ultegra gears
8.1 kg

Tarmac SL5:
Carbon fibre rims
Rim brakes
Shimano Di2 Electronic gearing
7.2 kg
Old 09-24-21, 09:42 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
They are close enough bikes. Which one comes in the color or other aesthetics you prefer?

The Scott has a longer wheel base so it might seem more stable and the Tarmac more nimble and agile for maneuvering.

But without actually trying them out, I'd only take that as a guess. Other things might cause that to not be true.

If you are in a hilly area, you won't mind leaving weight behind on longer rides. A five pound difference in bikes for me has made some hills no longer seem like hills. So is one significantly lighter? I doubt there is that much weight difference between the two.

Both new? If not then are the components dated or about to be?
Old 09-24-21, 09:47 AM
thorbjorn101

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
They are close enough bikes. Which one comes in the color or other aesthetics you prefer?

The Scott has a longer wheel base so it might seem more stable and the Tarmac more nimble and agile for maneuvering.

But without actually trying them out, I'd only take that as a guess. Other things might cause that to not be true.

If you are in a hilly area, you won't mind leaving weight behind on longer rides. A five pound difference in bikes for me has made some hills no longer seem like hills. So is one significantly lighter? I doubt there is that much weight difference between the two.

Both new? If not then are the components dated or about to be?
Thanks for the answer, Now I have a 2020 Scott addict 20 which is a more relaxed fit then the Addict RC, I have ridden the Tarmac and I like it very much its agile and hills are easier on it then my Addict, components on the Tarmac have recently been upgraded so that is nothing to worry about. As of now I'm leaning towards the Tarmac.
Old 09-24-21, 12:18 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
The Tarmac is considerably lighter (2.5 lbs according to posted data) but it has CF wheels and rim brakes. It is great going fast up the hill, but it is also nice being able to stop on the way down.

I have never used DI2 and I have used Ultegra. Ultegra is great .... just great. But I would go DI2 if I could afford it

Otherwise, if the geometry is similar, and both fit .... yeah, I would go for the lighter bike
Old 09-24-21, 12:48 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
https://www.scott-sports.com/global/...ict-rc-40-bike
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=239618-128857

Here is a geometry comparison, which is worthless because you have the actual bikes available ....

The Tarmac is a racier sort of build it seems.
Old 09-26-21, 04:27 PM
bigredgrad01

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
How's the brake tracks on those carbon wheels looking? Would your friend be willing to help you with warranty if something covered by it happened to the frame (if he's the original owner)?
I would get the S-works if the price is right and condition is good, but I'd be hesitant to spend close to price of new Scott Addict RC40 for one, when I can get this brand new instead at 7.1kg:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr-advanced-pro-1