Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Dedicated Trainer Tire and Wheel

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Dedicated Trainer Tire and Wheel

Old 09-26-21, 11:46 AM
lemiklos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Dedicated Trainer Tire and Wheel

I have a Women's Trek FX4 and am interested in getting an indoor trainer stand. I'd like to get a trainer tire to put on an extra wheel. What do I need to consider in regard to the wheel? I would think something less expensive than what's on the bike would be fine.
Under my bike specifications, this is what's listed for the rear wheel: NEUTRAL REPLACEMENT: Wheel Rear 700c Bontrager Approved TLR Disc/CL-2611 32h CL Disc QR, 11-speed, Anthracite/Black
The current wheel is stamped "Tubeless Ready, Disc Brake Only 622x17, 6000AL".
Old 09-26-21, 01:21 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Welcome to the forum
It might be easiest to ask your bike shop about it, I know my lbs sells some fairly inexpensive wheels.

You need a quick release 135x5mm 700c rear wheel 11 speed. You need a tube, a rim strip, and a 10 speed cassette. And the tire, obviously.
Old 09-26-21, 03:56 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Just a few things to confirm, you are looking for an indoor trainer (bike stand usually refers to an item for repairs) so you can ride indoors? I assume you already have or plan to purchase a wheel on trainer that your bike spins on a roller?

There isn't a requirement that you have to buy a trainer tire for a wheel on bike trainer but definitely recommended instead of wearing down your outdoor tire. I have an Elite wheel on trainer and bought an extra "trainer" tire I put on my bike over 2 years ago and the tire has minimum wear on it.
It was a cheaper tire, made with stiffer rubber to withstand the contact on the roller. Works fine.
Old 09-26-21, 04:46 PM
lemiklos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, an indoor trainer. My use of the word stand was to differentiate the type of trainer I want from the ones on rollers.
Old 09-26-21, 04:52 PM
lemiklos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Welcome to the forum
It might be easiest to ask your bike shop about it, I know my lbs sells some fairly inexpensive wheels.

You need a quick release 135x5mm 700c rear wheel 11 speed. You need a tube, a rim strip, and a 10 speed cassette. And the tire, obviously.
Thanks, I see what you mean now. It's not just a rear wheel that pops off like my old bike. It comes with the cassette and disc brake all attached to the wheel! That makes it a lot more complicated. I wonder how necessary it is to use a training tire. I came across so many online articles recommending it.
Old 09-26-21, 07:34 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Just get the trainer and put your bike on and ride. Unless you spend a lot of time on the trainer you will not wear out a tire. And compared with a wheel, training tire, tube, cassette a new road tire is still cheaper. You can always go that route later if you choose to.
Likes For spelger:
Old 09-26-21, 08:03 PM
lemiklos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
Just get the trainer and put your bike on and ride. Unless you spend a lot of time on the trainer you will not wear out a tire. And compared with a wheel, training tire, tube, cassette a new road tire is still cheaper. You can always go that route later if you choose to.
Agreed. Thank you.
Old 09-26-21, 11:01 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,816 Posts
Many of us don't have to buy a wheel or tire for dedicated trainer use - there are plenty of old wheels and tires retired from outdoor duty lying around our basements and garages. If you haven't got those yet, you probably will. Meanwhile, what spelger said.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 10-01-21, 07:34 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Just want to add (pile on) that a separate wheel with a trainer tire is probably not necessary.
You can just ride the trainer with your stock wheel/tire. A trainer tire would be helpful if you're planning to ride many thousands of miles on your trainer, and don't want to wear down fancy race tires on your bike, or are worried about wear on a fancy carbon race wheel. The other use for a trainer tire would be if you have knobby tires that would make a lot of noise on a wheel-on trainer. Otherwise, I'd recommend you just ride what you have.
Old 10-03-21, 06:16 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by lemiklos
I have a Women's Trek FX4 and am interested in getting an indoor trainer stand. I'd like to get a trainer tire to put on an extra wheel. What do I need to consider in regard to the wheel? I would think something less expensive than what's on the bike would be fine.
Under my bike specifications, this is what's listed for the rear wheel: NEUTRAL REPLACEMENT: Wheel Rear 700c Bontrager Approved TLR Disc/CL-2611 32h CL Disc QR, 11-speed, Anthracite/Black
The current wheel is stamped "Tubeless Ready, Disc Brake Only 622x17, 6000AL".

Evening, I have a wheel I used with wheel on trainer that I do not need any longer and I also have a trainer tire. If you want it, you can have it, just cover the shipping. It is just hanging in my garage doing nothing. It is a Mavic Open Pro and the Trainer Tire is a Vittoria 23 mm. The wheel is rim brake, but for this application, it should not be an issue since both wheels are QR based. Assuming your rear is 135mm wide? If so, just ping me. The only thing you might want to do it put the caliper block in to ensure you dont errantly push the calipers out.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 10-03-21 at 06:21 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 10-03-21, 06:43 PM
lemiklos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Evening, I have a wheel I used with wheel on trainer that I do not need any longer and I also have a trainer tire. If you want it, you can have it, just cover the shipping. It is just hanging in my garage doing nothing. It is a Mavic Open Pro and the Trainer Tire is a Vittoria 23 mm. The wheel is rim brake, but for this application, it should not be an issue since both wheels are QR based. Assuming your rear is 135mm wide? If so, just ping me. The only thing you might want to do it put the caliper block in to ensure you dont errantly push the calipers out.
Thanks for the offer, but that won't work for my bike. I don't think I'm going to use the indoor training set up enough to warrant a separate wheel + everything I'd need on it.