Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Changed my first flat

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Changed my first flat

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-19, 11:47 PM
SlinkyWizard

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.5, Giant Fastroad Comax 1 2018

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Changed my first flat

I've had a few flats before, on my hybrid, and despite having a spare tube, tire levers, and a pump in my bag, I just walked my bike to the LBS, ( In Korea, many within walking distance from nearly anywhere ) mainly because I was too nervous to change a flat myself. What if I couldn't get the wheel off? what if I punctured the tube trying to put the tire back on, what if I couldn't put the wheel back in place etc.

Today, while cleaning the wife's bike, a Specialized Como 2.0 e bike, the back tire completely deflated, I pumped up the tire, but it deflated quickly. At least 2km out from one of the LBS's, I thought bugger it, I'm going fix the flat. The flat was on the inner side of the tube , facing the rim .

The bike has Nimbus Sport Reflect, 650b x 2.3", so quite large, and no quick release, luckily GCN had a couple of change tire videos, so off I went, the whole process took about 40 minutes, but what an experience, luckily all went well, but so glad I conquered my fear of changing a flat.

Here's hoping for no more flats but at least now, I have the confidence of fixing it myself, hopefully successfully here on out.
Old 08-03-19, 06:26 AM
gringomojado

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
next time will be easier and quicker
Old 08-03-19, 06:32 AM
starchase

Bikes: 1992 Giant Farrago; 2011 KHS, TC-150

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
good experience getting dirty

Good for you! Sometimes it is more difficult getting the grease off your hands than doing the change!
Likes For starchase:
Old 08-03-19, 07:18 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by SlinkyWizard
...luckily GCN had a couple of change tire videos, so off I went, the whole process took about 40 minutes, but what an experience, luckily all went well, but so glad I conquered my fear of changing a flat.
Although I grew up riding bikes, I did not fix a flat myself until I was 30...and that was in 1992, before internet videos et, al. And now, 27 years later I read your post and it all came back to me...the anxiety, and uncertainty of that first repair.

I can tell you it gets easier, but no less annoying. But when you do get your next flat you can say to yourself..."I got this!"

Good job!
Old 08-03-19, 07:39 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
I just walked my bike to the LBS, ( In Korea, many within walking distance from nearly anywhere ) .
Must be nice, I'm jealous !! Around here it's a CVC pharmacy, a Dollar Store, or another convenience store/ gas station, that you can't seem to go a block without running into.
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 08-03-19, 08:08 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
.................. I thought bugger it, I'm going fix the flat............
Unite one's thoughts and conquer. Way to go!!!

With the new skill-set in place and the fear of flats no longer existing the World of longer rides now awaits to be ridden.
Old 08-03-19, 08:13 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
The flat was on the inner side of the tube , facing the rim .
Ever figure out what caused the puncture? I've had a couple flats like this recently and couldn't come up with any possible cause. Rim strip is fine and there was no debris in there. Wasn't a pinch flat. *shrugs*
Old 08-03-19, 08:51 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Good for you, friend! My "return" to cycling (35 years?) was fraught with repair nervousness. After six years I marvel that I ever used my LBS for any adjustments or derailleure installation. Only bottom brackets as I lack knowledge and tools. Derailleur adjustments were a bundle of nerves at first... youtube and practice have made them routine. I patched my first tire, successfully, two weeks ago and now carry it as a spare, after a thankfully rare nail puncture.

Don't be afraid to "mess it up"... and you will be amazed how many times you succeed!
Old 08-03-19, 08:57 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Changing a flat sucks no matter the situation. Easier in the garage..... less so out in the wild.
Old 08-03-19, 10:24 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by DomaneS5
Changing a flat sucks no matter the situation. Easier in the garage..... less so out in the wild.
While admittedly, it ain't no party, if you have some cooperative tires, it can be an outright breeze. My last couple flats, first I've had in a couple years, couldn't have been less of a delay or headache.
One happened at a local country gas station, that has some covered picnic tables (where, coincidentally, I do a lot of my Craigslist-type meets). I flipped the mtn bike upside down on a table, replaced the tube, pumped it up,and hit the road !
Easy peasy !
The other was on my road bike. I was checking the bike and getting my bottles ready for an early ride the next morning, and saw that my front was flat. I grabbed my changing gear, and took it inside where I had TV and air conditioning, and patched that one, and had it all back together in about 10 minutes. That one was so quick and easy I'd have almost called it fun !! (especially in comparison to some, that have been highly inconvenient and a real headache).
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 08-07-19, 07:20 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
While admittedly, it ain't no party, if you have some cooperative tires, it can be an outright breeze. My last couple flats, first I've had in a couple years, couldn't have been less of a delay or headache.
One happened at a local country gas station, that has some covered picnic tables (where, coincidentally, I do a lot of my Craigslist-type meets). I flipped the mtn bike upside down on a table, replaced the tube, pumped it up,and hit the road !
Easy peasy !
The other was on my road bike. I was checking the bike and getting my bottles ready for an early ride the next morning, and saw that my front was flat. I grabbed my changing gear, and took it inside where I had TV and air conditioning, and patched that one, and had it all back together in about 10 minutes. That one was so quick and easy I'd have almost called it fun !! (especially in comparison to some, that have been highly inconvenient and a real headache).
What I hate most about flats is they usually happen with the back tire. Plus, road bike tires with high PSI, in my experience, can be very difficult to change out. Mountain bike tires are a breeze compared to road bike tires. A few years back, I hit pot hole in the middle of nowhere and got a flat on the back tire of my road bike. It took me 45 minutes to change it out. And this was in 85°F weather with high humidity. Not a good experience to say the least.
Old 08-07-19, 08:43 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
The flat was on the inner side of the tube , facing the rim .
Congrats on fixing your first flat!

Did you check the rim strip to make sure a spoke nipple isn't poking through? That's the usual cause of a flat on the rim side of the tube.
Likes For Caliper:
Old 08-07-19, 09:35 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I've had a few flats before, on my hybrid, and despite having a spare tube, tire levers, and a pump in my bag, I just walked my bike to the LBS, ( In Korea, many within walking distance from nearly anywhere ) mainly because I was too nervous to change a flat myself. What if I couldn't get the wheel off? what if I punctured the tube trying to put the tire back on, what if I couldn't put the wheel back in place etc.

Today, while cleaning the wife's bike, a Specialized Como 2.0 e bike, the back tire completely deflated, I pumped up the tire, but it deflated quickly. At least 2km out from one of the LBS's, I thought bugger it, I'm going fix the flat. The flat was on the inner side of the tube , facing the rim .

The bike has Nimbus Sport Reflect, 650b x 2.3", so quite large, and no quick release, luckily GCN had a couple of change tire videos, so off I went, the whole process took about 40 minutes, but what an experience, luckily all went well, but so glad I conquered my fear of changing a flat.

Here's hoping for no more flats but at least now, I have the confidence of fixing it myself, hopefully successfully here on out.
Congratulations! Now practice it a few more times in your living room so that you can get quicker. Then it won't be a big deal at all next time it happens on the road.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-07-19, 01:03 PM
Spinay70

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

Congrats on your success!
Old 08-07-19, 02:07 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Good for you! I really need to try that. I know, in theory, how to change a tire, but I have never actually needed to do it. Probably better to figure it out in my garage than on the side of the road. And I should probably buy a new mini pump. I have a spare tube, tire levers and a patch kit in my saddle bag, but my mini pump bounced off my frame and rolled away. I was miles away before I realized what that sound was. Not very useful to carry everything needed to change a tire with no way to inflate it.
Old 08-07-19, 02:19 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Something to look forward to...riding familiar routes and passing locations where you remember fixing a flat.
Old 08-07-19, 04:05 PM
BoBodyJones
Daily Commuter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had to change a tube 3 times before. Don't sweat it!
Old 08-07-19, 09:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I love it sincerely when people celebrate small but important victories.

As someone who has had to change 4 tubes in the course of one century, I wish you as little roadside practice of this skill as possible, but am glad you now will be able to deal with the situation if it arises.

Is the traffic in Korea as bad as I have heard?
Old 08-07-19, 11:01 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
When I was riding bikes casually, I never thought that I might get a flat—and I swear I never got one. Then I started riding all the time and read on here about people getting flat tires and studied up on how to fix them and started riding with a spare tube and mini-pump. That’s when I started getting flats!
Likes For raceboy:
Old 08-07-19, 11:20 PM
DennisPortillo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was too nervous to change a flat myself.
I think you should take it as a new experience, your decision is perfect.
for me, changes is necessary to explore more, may be you will get more change to do more exploration in your bike.
Old 08-09-19, 01:40 AM
SlinkyWizard

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.5, Giant Fastroad Comax 1 2018

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the words of encouragement !

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Ever figure out what caused the puncture?

I took the tube to the LBS, but the owner said he had no idea.

Originally Posted by Caliper
Did you check the rim strip to make sure a spoke nipple isn't poking through? That's the usual cause of a flat on the rim side of the tube.
No I didn't, it never crossed my mind, I will definitely check next time if it happens again.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Is the traffic in Korea as bad as I have heard?
Yes, Seoul traffic would have to rank up there
Old 08-09-19, 11:32 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by raceboy
When I was riding bikes casually, I never thought that I might get a flat—and I swear I never got one. Then I started riding all the time and read on here about people getting flat tires and studied up on how to fix them and started riding with a spare tube and mini-pump. That’s when I started getting flats!
Right? I get way more flats now, than when I was a kid.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498