Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bad dog!!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bad dog!!

Old 09-13-21, 02:05 PM
Badbird2000

Bikes: Litespeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Bad dog!!

What do you guys use when you are being chased by dogs? It happens on occasion, but Saturday it happened 6 times in 22 miles. I live in a rural part of east Tennessee and some people don't seem to follow our local leash law. By the end of the ride i was getting a little ticked off. Sunday, i went back out, different route out, but had to use the short cut back home as i was bonking. One of the same dogs, i knew the house, made another appearance. German Sheppard, at the top of a climb, when both quads are cramped. He came running out aggressivly, barking, showing teeth. Never got close enough to bite but if he did he probably would have. I was yelling at him to heal, stay, stop... nothing. Didn't want to chance taking a foot out of the clips and kick him.. bad things would ensue if i missed. He finally gave up after chasing me about 75 yards down the road. I yelled at the home owner, who may or may not have been home to Get your damn dog!

I have a dog, she is kept inside, or when outside on a leash. I love dogs and don't want to hurt any of them, but i need a way to fend them off, safely for me and them. Anyone use bear spray, or pepper spray? I am pretty sure i'm not going to walk up to the owners front door and ask them to keep Cujo chained up...
Old 09-13-21, 02:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I got a handlebar basket like Pee Wee Herman a gravel rider and keep a bunch of fire crackers ready to go. It frightens the dog, who leaves you alone as a result.
Old 09-13-21, 02:20 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Most dogs I've encountered stop when I stop. However usually I easily can just outrun them. Since they are on routes I don't care to ride much I don't usually bother worrying about them. I suppose you should report it to the sheriff or department that has jurisdiction in that area.

Might help someone that gets bit in the future if there are already reports on file against that dog and it's owner.

One of those loud CO2 airhorns for boats that fit in a pocket might scare the fun out of the dog. Pepper spray will be good for the owner if they pet their dog when it returns home and then the owner goes to urinate. <grin>
Old 09-13-21, 03:36 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
HALT spray, if it's legal in your area.
Old 09-13-21, 04:23 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
As Iride01 said, most stop with a lout "NO!" or "BACK!" Even the 80-100 pit bull with clipped ears and tail... yeah, I was shocked. He came out of the woods like a silverback - all shoulders and muscly... I yelled "BACK!" and he literally skidded and turned back. I actually felt bad for scaring the little fella... okay, not really.

For the one dog that didn't react like that and the did want to latch on to my foot, I managed a solid and direct shot in the eyes with the water bottle. It worked like you'd hope it would.

I've found the biggest danger isn't being "attacked" it's being (accidentally) tackled. Often, the dog focuses on one rider... then turns away - into another rider. Most dogs that chase us aren't mean... just being dogs.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 09-13-21, 08:14 PM
masonv45

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCRc2, 2016 GT Aggressor Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts
Years ago, jogging around my subdivision and a dog came tearing out of the garage ready to bite my head off. A shot from my water bottle up the nose stopped him in his tracks.

My next lap around he just sat in the garage and looked at me.
Likes For masonv45:
Old 09-13-21, 10:33 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by masonv45
My next lap around he just sat in the garage and looked at me.
waiting for the waiter (you) to bring him his water spritz, no doubt!
Old 09-14-21, 02:45 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Remove water bottle. Squirt bad dog in the face. Dog gets stunned and I ride away.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 09-14-21, 04:00 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I got a handlebar basket like Pee Wee Herman a gravel rider and keep a bunch of fire crackers ready to go. It frightens the dog, who leaves you alone as a result.
how do you light them as you ride?
Old 09-14-21, 06:13 AM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Has to be mad bike handling skills!
Old 09-14-21, 06:16 AM
Warbird21

I ride on/off the C&O Canal a lot, it is a few miles from my home and convenient. There are lots of dogs near the entry points, some unleashed.
I got chased by a small fox terrier a few weeks ago, at the end of a 30 mile ride, leaving the canal, up a steep hill for the two miles back to my home.
I realized the dog was not going to stop, I was in the wrong gear to accelerate. I went to kick the dog, and forgot I was clipped in. His snout hit my pedal hard enough to make him stop and head back to his owner. The guy had an Autozone shirt on.. I saw him a few days later in the local store and I reminded him to keep his dog leashed. He remembered me and apologized.
But, lesson learned by me - unclip if a dog approaches!
Likes For Warbird21:
Old 09-14-21, 08:40 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Warbird21
Has to be mad bike handling skills!
hehe which he probably has. or maybe rides w/ a lit cigar. I saw that one time
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-14-21, 08:53 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Remove water bottle. Squirt bad dog in the face. Dog gets stunned and I ride away.
Wouldn't rely on water to protect my body against dogs. I'd carry bear spray if I was in an area where dogs were left unleashed, which is not the case in my area.
Old 09-14-21, 10:40 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 407 Posts
just toss 'em a kitten.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 09-14-21, 10:48 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
I carry a worse dog in a knapsack, with a pull-cord quick release for immediate deployment.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-14-21, 11:33 AM
Badbird2000

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
As Iride01 said, most stop with a lout "NO!" or "BACK!" Even the 80-100 pit bull with clipped ears and tail... yeah, I was shocked. He came out of the woods like a silverback - all shoulders and muscly... I yelled "BACK!" and he literally skidded and turned back. I actually felt bad for scaring the little fella... okay, not really.

For the one dog that didn't react like that and the did want to latch on to my foot, I managed a solid and direct shot in the eyes with the water bottle. It worked like you'd hope it would.

I've found the biggest danger isn't being "attacked" it's being (accidentally) tackled. Often, the dog focuses on one rider... then turns away - into another rider. Most dogs that chase us aren't mean... just being dogs.
I have tried that and it worked on one dog a few weeks ago. Tried it with this particular German Shepard and he was not buying what i was selling. I totally get the dog thought he was protecting his property from me.. just doing what dogs do, I might try the water bottle trick first, it's the least obtrusive but might get his attention.
Old 09-14-21, 11:39 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Badbird2000
I have tried that and it worked on one dog a few weeks ago. Tried it with this particular German Shepard and he was not buying what i was selling. I totally get the dog thought he was protecting his property from me.. just doing what dogs do, I might try the water bottle trick first, it's the least obtrusive but might get his attention.
The bottle trick can be a leap of faith - resisting the urge to stand and hammer (which, in many cases, is the preferred tactic).
Do this...
- Keep pedaling if possible - makes it harder for the pup to latch on. If you can't keep pedaling, keep the dog-side pedal high - makes it easier to see his eyes!
- Wait 'til he's within 3'
- Bottle upside down...
- Channel your inner sniper
- Blast!

If you've missed or only angered the pup, throw the bottle at him and HAMMER! ;-)
Old 09-14-21, 12:25 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
hehe which he probably has. or maybe rides w/ a lit cigar. I saw that one time
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-14-21, 01:00 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
omg that's hysterical. what could possibly go wrong?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-14-21, 01:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Carry pepper spray and use it. You'll be doing the dog a favor. If the dog feels encouraged to keep chasing, eventually it'll be struck by a car and maimed or killed. Or eventually it'll attack a cyclist, jogger or kid and seriously injure them. I've used it once and it worked immediately.

I carry the gel stream stuff that doesn't splatter back toward me, unless there's a stiff headwind, in which case I won't use it.

I've never seen a water bottle accomplish anything more than encouraging a chasing dog to think it's a game. Some dogs like to play in high pressure water streams in the garden, so they sure won't be discourage by a squirt from a water bottle. The only critter I've ever seen disturbed by a water bottle squirt was a young rattlesnake I chased off the highway last year. Won't work on copperheads since they like water.

And I don't try to outrun dogs. That's just asking for trouble. I slow down, stop and get off if necessary and put the bike between me and the dog, and watch for continued aggression. Most dogs will lose interest and trot home. But if the dog persists in being aggressive, Precious is gonna get the pepper spray hose.
Old 09-14-21, 01:34 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
The water bottle squirt to the snoot has worked for me when outrunning them hasn't. 99times/100 stopping and issuing a stern 'NO' is also effective.
Old 09-14-21, 05:56 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Warbird21
I ride on/off the C&O Canal a lot, it is a few miles from my home and convenient. There are lots of dogs near the entry points, some unleashed.
I got chased by a small fox terrier a few weeks ago, at the end of a 30 mile ride, leaving the canal, up a steep hill for the two miles back to my home.
I realized the dog was not going to stop, I was in the wrong gear to accelerate. I went to kick the dog, and forgot I was clipped in. His snout hit my pedal hard enough to make him stop and head back to his owner. The guy had an Autozone shirt on.. I saw him a few days later in the local store and I reminded him to keep his dog leashed. He remembered me and apologized.
But, lesson learned by me - unclip if a dog approaches!
Dog was wearing T shirt?

gm
Old 09-14-21, 06:56 PM
Warbird21

Originally Posted by gringomojado
Dog was wearing T shirt?

gm
"The guy had an Autozone shirt on.. I saw him a few days later in the local store and I reminded him to keep his dog leashed. He remembered me and apologized."

No, "guy" being the key word. While dogs rarely wear shirts, they never, ever, work in Autozone stores or even apologize (and I hate them for that). However I think my Advance Auto had a pitbull behind the counter the other day, but not surprisingly, shirtless and of few words.
Likes For Warbird21:
Old 09-15-21, 11:15 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,190 Posts
Off his Marlborough of course.
Likes For ls01:
Old 09-16-21, 10:29 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Yelling "NO" has stopped a lot of them. They usually stop chasing after you are out of their territory.

One time on a back road we were in a line of about 12 riders, just getting up to speed. A big German Shepherd looking dog bolts from the left and runs straight into the rider in third wheel. He exits the bike in a Superman pose and lands hard on the pavement, which knocked the wind out of him. The stupid dog ran off and luckily my friend wasn't hurt too bad.
Likes For big john:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.