Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Sensor Frustration!

Old 03-06-22, 10:40 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I was seriously thinking of selling it and getting the 1030 plus or maybe a really high end Garmin watch and go away from head units all together. But now I will not sell it with a known issue. I am not going to sell my problems on somebody else, that is just wrong on a bunch of levels.
So I might I might try a factory reset but I am trying to avoid that till last resort.
It's good to see that people still have morals. 🙂 I get the sense that this is something in all 1030s that only manifests in some rare at of conditions. Not anything specific to yours. You just turned it on somehow. I hope a factory reset fixes it for you - also hope you don't have to set all your screens up again.

If you want to explore the watch idea and don't want to pay full price, I might be talked into selling my Fenix (6x), I've been considering upgrading. I love using a watch and ultimately prefer it to an Edge ... but it's very different having it on your wrist, and a much smaller screen. It's not what most people on BF want. It's better for me personally, I don't know enough about you to have much idea. Especially for using the maps while riding, and for power based workouts, you might be disappointed.
Old 03-07-22, 09:58 AM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Finally got off my rear and requested help with the 1030 sensor issues with Garmin via chat. They are having me enable ANT+ logging, and then sending along the files from a few rides. Will update if a solution is found.
Likes For But its me:
Old 03-07-22, 10:20 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
It's good to see that people still have morals. 🙂 I get the sense that this is something in all 1030s that only manifests in some rare at of conditions. Not anything specific to yours. You just turned it on somehow. I hope a factory reset fixes it for you - also hope you don't have to set all your screens up again.

If you want to explore the watch idea and don't want to pay full price, I might be talked into selling my Fenix (6x), I've been considering upgrading. I love using a watch and ultimately prefer it to an Edge ... but it's very different having it on your wrist, and a much smaller screen. It's not what most people on BF want. It's better for me personally, I don't know enough about you to have much idea. Especially for using the maps while riding, and for power based workouts, you might be disappointed.

Thanks.....

I will keep you in mind if go watch route. going down for a ride here in a bit to work through this some more.
Old 03-07-22, 10:20 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by But its me
Finally got off my rear and requested help with the 1030 sensor issues with Garmin via chat. They are having me enable ANT+ logging, and then sending along the files from a few rides. Will update if a solution is found.
good luck!
Old 03-07-22, 01:41 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Well...

I can't believe I am typing this but I think its actually temperature related. I need to do some more riding to confirm.

I added a new higher powered fan to the room this year, now that the temps are much colder the room is maybe 60 degrees. Then added with the high flow of 2 fans directly blowing on me, and the head unit I think its messing it up. So today I removed the fans, problem didn't happen. I moved the fans back into the room and it happened at first but after 60 minutes it didn't drop. BUT when I put the fans back directly at me the issues happened. So my only conclusion is the new fan just makes it too cold? There could be a signal issue with the new fan but when I backed it in the corner of the room it didn't effect the unit but directly at it on full blast the dropouts started up.

Has anyone else had this issue with Garmin head units? Temperature makes it dropping out? I need to do some more riding but it wasn't doing it without the direct flow of the fans. I timed my miles with a stopwatch and Zwift clocks and it was spot on when I didn't have the fan.

I am not even sure what to think of this. I have ridden outside in colder temps and never had this happen so its it the high flow of air? This is a strange ranger.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 03-07-22, 02:14 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
put the device into a large foil pan (cake size) & try it with the same high fan settings etc etc.
Old 03-07-22, 02:38 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Troul
put the device into a large foil pan (cake size) & try it with the same high fan settings etc etc.
I was going to wrap/cover the head unit and see what happens. Yep this is my next go to trial.
Old 03-07-22, 03:02 PM
Seattle Forrest

Well...

I can't believe I am typing this but I think its actually temperature related. I need to do some more riding to confirm.

I added a new higher powered fan to the room this year, now that the temps are much colder the room is maybe 60 degrees. Then added with the high flow of 2 fans directly blowing on me, and the head unit I think its messing it up. So today I removed the fans, problem didn't happen. I moved the fans back into the room and it happened at first but after 60 minutes it didn't drop. BUT when I put the fans back directly at me the issues happened. So my only conclusion is the new fan just makes it too cold? There could be a signal issue with the new fan but when I backed it in the corner of the room it didn't effect the unit but directly at it on full blast the dropouts started up.

Has anyone else had this issue with Garmin head units? Temperature makes it dropping out? I need to do some more riding but it wasn't doing it without the direct flow of the fans. I timed my miles with a stopwatch and Zwift clocks and it was spot on when I didn't have the fan.

I am not even sure what to think of this. I have ridden outside in colder temps and never had this happen so its it the high flow of air? This is a strange ranger.

Thoughts anyone?
​​​​​​I can give you some barely informed speculation. 🙂 I make a living as a software developer, I really don't know anything about Garmin specifically but based on how computers run software, and how companies make and support it:
  1. It sounded like the support rep was BSing you when he mentioned temperature, but the fact that he thought it might be involved strongly corroborates your finding.
  2. Garmin has added features over the last few years trying to do a better job keeping the barometer calibrated.
    1. I assume you're using indoor cycling. Edge knows your elevation isn't changing if so. Any different barometric elevation means drift, so a new calibration is in order. This process requires temperature.
  3. There's no obvious reason why temperature (within range) should affect ANT+ communication, but sometimes things are coupled in software because that's the way it was written. And bugs are usually because something wasn't obvious.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 03-07-22, 03:43 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

​​​​​​I can give you some barely informed speculation. 🙂 I make a living as a software developer, I really don't know anything about Garmin specifically but based on how computers run software, and how companies make and support it:
  1. It sounded like the support rep was BSing you when he mentioned temperature, but the fact that he thought it might be involved strongly corroborates your finding.
  2. Garmin has added features over the last few years trying to do a better job keeping the barometer calibrated.
    1. I assume you're using indoor cycling. Edge knows your elevation isn't changing if so. Any different barometric elevation means drift, so a new calibration is in order. This process requires temperature.
  3. There's no obvious reason why temperature (within range) should affect ANT+ communication, but sometimes things are coupled in software because that's the way it was written. And bugs are usually because something wasn't obvious.

yeah, I just don't buy the temperature thing...its just too crazy. So I feel more ride testing is needed. But what do I really know, nothing really. OR maybe whatever it was just started working again? But this too seems not like the norm because from my limited experience software or computer anything that starts going down the path to bad doesn't come back to good, only gets worse. ( I don't know anything about computer stuff either )
Old 03-10-22, 09:16 PM
Seattle Forrest

Thanks.....

I will keep you in mind if go watch route. going down for a ride here in a bit to work through this some more.
​​​​​​Update on this. ☹️

I've had the watch for 2.5 years, and in that time it's literally never done anything wrong.

Today it sort of glitched out. The phone didn't consider it paired anymore, and when I tried to pair it again it transubstantiated from a Fenix into a Tactix according to the screen. It lost my activities (not history, the profiles for cycling and skiing and hiking) and widgets.

I did a factory reset, but it still knows it's paired to a Di2 and still has my step count from earlier today. 🤯

I found one person with the same issue, and the fix was a replacement from Garmin. I was due for an upgrade, maybe they'll work with me on that.

I was playing with kittens when this happened.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 03-11-22, 01:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

Well, my watch has been out of warranty for years, but Garmin is replacing it free of charge anyway. ❤️
Old 03-11-22, 01:35 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Well, my watch has been out of warranty for years, but Garmin is replacing it free of charge anyway. ❤️
Awesome.
Old 03-11-22, 01:38 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

So to update my sensor issues, it appears to not be a temperature issue at all. BUT when the high flow fans are blowing on it the issues persist. So either its a pressure issue with the airflow or the airflow drops the temp so much its has connection issues. But the head unit out of the airflow seems to work fine. Just a weird thing really. I am hoping to put this to bed this week because we are going to be in the mid 50's and maybe even 60 for the first time of 2022 so I can get outdoors for some testing there.

I guess my high speed riding in the past wasn't so fast after all.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 03-11-22, 05:00 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
Just a what if.... but do you disable the GPS when indoors? Maybe the processor is so busy trying to recalculate all the iffy satellite reception that it has no time to deal with proper sensors and weird stuff just happens.

I think on the 1030 you have to use the indoor activity profile or maybe you can specifically disable the GPS in a custom profile.

I do know that on my very old Garmin 500 that weird stuff would happen when trying to use it indoors with a trainer if the GPS wasn't disabled.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-11-22, 07:50 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Iride01
Just a what if.... but do you disable the GPS when indoors? Maybe the processor is so busy trying to recalculate all the iffy satellite reception that it has no time to deal with proper sensors and weird stuff just happens.

I think on the 1030 you have to use the indoor activity profile or maybe you can specifically disable the GPS in a custom profile.

I do know that on my very old Garmin 500 that weird stuff would happen when trying to use it indoors with a trainer if the GPS wasn't disabled.

I tried this and it didn't seem to have any effect either way.

When I talked to CS they said it really should have no bearing either but you know a computer has a mind of its own.