Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Backpack

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-22, 01:56 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I also own 3 different roll-top back packs and I also own a camelbak. The messenger bag is by far the most uncomfortable and impractical of them all..
Cool opinion, bro. Roll-tops are just a fashion statement lol.
Old 04-15-22, 02:13 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
Many years ago I used a backpack to carry books for a couple of miles. Then I got a rear rack and panniers, and gave up the backpack except for short rides on a bike without racks or a front bag. Backpacks tend to raise the center of gravity, and are tiring. However, if I am going to the store,,I sometimes carry a very light weight pack made of ripstop nylon, in which I put light bulky things like paper towels.that would otherwise take up too much room in my handlebar or saddle bags..

If I really wanted to use a backpack often, I'd consider the Osprey bags.
Old 04-15-22, 03:59 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
OP asked for a simple backpack recommendation for schlepping a few library books now and then, and it turns into an argument over backpacks vs messenger bags vs panniers vs...I dunno, maybe surgically-implanted marsupial pouches are next?

Classic bf.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-15-22, 11:06 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
My suggestion is to go to REI (as suggested above) if one is convenient. You can try various bags as they will weight it down for you so you can assess comfort. One thing I will warn you about regarding roll top bags is that SOME can impede your ability to look backward, even with a helmet or eye glass mirror.

BTW...I own and use back packs and messenger bags. Messenger bags, FOR ME, are somewhat uncomfortable off the bike, but very comfortable while riding a road bike. I've never tried either with my hybrid (upright positioning) because it has a rack which I utilize. The quality of the backpack or messenger bag is also crucial. Osprey makes great backpacks. I tried a Timbuk 2 messenger bag and didn't like riding with it. It's now my bombproof attaché bag for work. I use a Chrome messenger bag which is great for me.
Old 04-18-22, 08:24 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I almost hate to get involved (for fear of getting dragged into the "cat fight") but it's too cold and rainy today for a bike ride, so WTH, I'm in . I'm not a huge fan of riding with a backpack (but frequently ride with a very "Fredish" fanny pack ). However, with fuel prices the way they are, I'm more and more inclined to take a bike for in-town shopping trips. I do have a biking specific backpack (never used) and a messenger-type bike bag (also never used) . What I'll likely use and I guess recommend, is a teardrop style pack with a single padded strap that snaps into either side of the base of the pack. I guess sort of a cross between a true backpack and a messenger bag. The beauty being it can be worn on one's back while riding then worn across one's chest while shopping or just walking around sight seeing. Comfortable in both modes. Depending on the shopping area, might be a security plus!
Another thought for the OP. It was stated that the kids are now "older". Perhaps THEY can have their own small backpacks to carry their books home from the library!
Old 06-10-22, 10:44 AM
RihanaB
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I have ARC’TERYX LEAF ASSAULT PACK 30 reviewed by The US Marines. A perfect one. The pack is well constructed. You can feel the quality. 30L is not very large for lots of stuffs. If you want to have things organized inside, you may need to buy LBX pouches.

Last edited by RihanaB; 06-17-22 at 02:56 AM.
Old 06-11-22, 12:55 AM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
I find children's backpacks are better than even made for cycling backpacks such as the Deuter race light air backpack because they don't come up so high, but end where the straps meet the backpack, and don't get in the way of my helmet. This may only make a difference if you ride with a fairly horizontal back position.

Kids
https://www.goldwin.co.jp/ap/item/i/m/NMJ72203

Deuter

The Deuter was three times the price.

Last edited by timtak; 06-11-22 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-11-22, 05:26 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
I suppose a back pack where the design allows air to flow between the bag and your back for cooling would be nice. These back packs exist. But Never been a fan of back packs. They're just uncomfortably too hot on my back especially when going a bit faster. Probably OK if you're only riding a leisurely pace and live in cold climates or riding during cold seasons.

I still prefer rack and pannier bag. I don't care how others say how ugly it looks. Having nothing on my back helps keeps me cool and comfortable even when I'm in a hurry and riding as fast as I can. Panniers have little aero penalty as others think it might have. The panniers are already being "sheltered" by your legs from the wind. It's ugly but if you can tolerate ugly, it's the faster and more comfortable option.

I once used a backpack regularly but I simply tied it on my rear rack with bungee cord. Never worn it while riding.
Old 06-12-22, 05:26 AM
FrankDiscussion

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use a $15 backpack from Walmart. It has plenty enough space for my needs. I don't ride long distances or bike commute anymore so for short trips to the store (or library) a simple cheap backback will do the trick.
Old 06-12-22, 07:04 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10159 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
I use an older version of this...

...for commuting. I often extend to >20 mi per leg for workouts and ride about 4" of drop. The bag pretty much disappears from consciousness, but does prevent sweat from evaporating to some extent, even though it's well constructed to provide an offset from the back. It also obstructs easy access to jersey pockets. I don't use the hydration feature because, as a roadie, I wouldn't be caught dead.

I was a messenger in NYC for a while, back in the early 80s, and found that messenger bags don't work well unless one is sitting fairly upright.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 06-12-22, 10:34 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by thinkapple
This might be in the wrong forum but curious on what people are using as a backpack going around town and/or short, medium ride? With my kids being older and love riding, we are traveling longer between rides. Last weekend we ended up riding across town to the library but couldn't bring books since I didn't bring a backpack etc. Just looking for a light riding backpack to put a few items in when out with the little ones.
Lot to choose from... too much to consider.
But ... some key stuff.
'Cross-over' to use in many other activities (even though I have way more packs than I should
good back carry - WITHOUT being a constant droopy, butt-slapping bag of cement - sadly, many I see have droopybutt backpacks, especially kids and their school bags...
good sternum and belly straps, help keep the load in place - last thing one wants, in whatever use, is the load sloshing around as you move, especially on bike or on a climb.
I'm not crazy about the mininal attachment points on the current 'skiiny jeans' designed packs - prefer at least 1 web ladder and if possible 2 with each side having a ladder for attaching things adn spanning/carrying stuff.
At least one easy access exterior pocket
Lighter weight pack fabric for small, light loads - bit sturdier for bigger packs. - maybe one internal divider - but not a bunch of fiddly inner stuff....
waterproof is good.

REI Flash 22, circa 2017 model ?

my current go-to for quick and easy is a REI flash 22 (older model with web ladders) - very light weight, simple poly panel for some structure - good sternum and belly straps to keep load on back and not droopy, Single main main, Brain pocket for light, easy access stuff like sunglasses, snack, whatever small thing. mesh side pockets for soft stuff like sunsleeves, etc... 2 web ladders for holding stuff outside (either with Biners or bungee loop) and can easily attach tailight.
Also works as my 'TailBag' on my Moto for 1 or 2 night Moto tours/rides... 22 liters - just about the right size for all day activities or minimal overnight supplies and clothes. Don't like a bunch of hardbags on my Moto, if I can ride without.

Osprey Questa - 27L - circa 2011 ish ?
About the largest Pack I would use - my Osprey Questa - 27 liters BIG! was my daily 'commuting' pack, could carry, work clothes (always ride in riding kit, even winter), light shoes, lunch and sometimes I would carry my laptop from and to work... after 10 years it hardly shows any real use wear. But again - BIG - too big for most riding...
Anything carrying more than 25 Liters I would use a more structured pack with TMP (tensioned mesh panel) structure - the Questa was an exception and a 'test' before I decided to keep and use.

Plain, cheap or expensive Nike/UnderArmor/Adiddas Other basic packs are annoying, slap butt, uncomfortable, and a waste of money when one can get a good designed pack for same price, when on sale or closeout, and is usually well designed for any other outdoor activities or travel.
For super simple - I would use a self-packing (in it's own pocket/bag) backpack - many come from china and some are quite nice - some even have a sternum strap which is key to stabilizing any load.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 06-13-22, 07:38 AM
FelixScout
Rider who can know more

Bikes: 1995 Trek 850 Mountain Track turned trail and road bike, 1989 Centurion Le Mans RS, 1993 Bianchi Advantage. Dead: 1982 Schwinn Traveler

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I have used for the last 5 years an Osprey Daylite as a general adventure pack. Which means 5-10 mile walk/hikes, up to 30 mile bike rides, and even short kayak rides.

And it lets me carry enough snacks and tools and a 1st aid kit for any of these trips for a family of 3.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product...AYLITES21.html

But you should think about what you need to carry, what you want to carry, and what you actually can carry and figure what of a dozen options fit that requirement. I picked the daylite because it hit the sweet spot of capacity, quality, price, and availability since the local outdoor shop had them in stock.
Old 06-13-22, 08:00 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Good to see Osprey getting a few mentions here; I think they are superb bags. I commute with an Osprey Synchro 20. This is a cycling specific bag with a frame which holds the pack away from your back so that you have an airflow over your back. I commute about 18 miles with a laptop that weighs just over 2kg, plus some items of clothing, lunch and snacks in it as well as some odds and ends. I should imagine the combined weight is something over 4kg, but it doesn't cause me any discomfort. Indeed, I find I stop noticing after the first few miles. You may have a different experience, of course. I have a friend who would rather use panniers, so each to their own.