Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What became of Rapid Rise?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What became of Rapid Rise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-14, 08:17 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by SlowJoeCrow
I think part of the problem with Rapid Rise in MTB applications was that it was closely associated with Shimano's integrated shifters that worked by moving the brake levers....
+1. The integrated shifters were not many people's favorite, for sure, and Shimano re-introduced Rapid Rise and the new shifters at the same time, with the shifters optimized for Rapid Rise RD's. Rapid Rise RD's gained more fans than the shifters I'd guess, but it certainly didn't help Rapid Rise's popularity to be associated with those weird shifters/brake levers.
Old 05-04-14, 08:21 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
My disdain for RR is purely about the RD itself; I've actually never come across those weird shifters.

They sound kinda cool, like a MTB version of the road levers? I love being able to brake and downshift with one movement.

Last edited by Kimmo; 05-04-14 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-04-14, 08:34 PM
Bandrada
Banned.

Bikes: ...

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 6591 Post(s)
Liked 383 Times in 334 Posts
The only thing I really didn't like about those shifters was that they were bulky. The future is most likely some sort of integrated setup with internal gearing.
Old 05-04-14, 08:49 PM
well biked

Originally Posted by Kimmo
They sound kinda cool, like a MTB version of the road levers?
In a broad sense, yes, since the brake lever also serves as a shift lever. But the motion was up-or-down with the mountain shifters, instead of a push to the inside like with road shifters. Some people liked them; most didn't, it seems. They went away pretty quickly.
Old 05-04-14, 08:51 PM
well biked

Originally Posted by Bandrada
..... they were bulky.
That's so true. They seem odd when I see one these days, and it wasn't really very long ago when they were on the market.
Old 05-05-14, 02:30 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Originally Posted by well biked
In a broad sense, yes, since the brake lever also serves as a shift lever. But the motion was up-or-down with the mountain shifters, instead of a push to the inside like with road shifters.
Sounds exactly like a road STI at 90°.
Old 05-05-14, 05:22 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
so, for those not so hip to how derailleurs work, both levers to be less confusing, would move easy to hard, in the same direction.
That's exactly it. I used rapid rise Deore long cage for my wife's Trek 620 touring bike. It's 3 x 9, and the rapid rise permits the same logical feel to the shifting both sides for her. Pull back on the bar end shifter and you get a "harder gear", push forward and you get an "easier" gear for climbing. She can't be bothered with how they work and what he cable does, she just wants to remember how to shift.

I know that it sounds silly...

Anyhow, we've used this setup for the last three years.
Old 05-05-14, 06:10 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Kimmo, you and I usually agree on stuff, but this is an exception.

I never liked low normal rears, bt high normal front makes sense for many people, especially newbies.

One of the original ideas was to overcome the confusion among new riders by having both levers move forward to shift to high, and back for low. This seems trivial to us, but I assure that as a retailer in the early years of derailleur bikes in the USA, that levers moving in opposite directions for the same purpose, confused folks.

The second advantage, again mainly for less experienced riders is the issue of late shifting of the front on climbs. Today's gated chainrings solves this somewhat but before those, the chain tension would be too much for the FD spring, and the shift wouldn't happen. The delay made things worse as folks increased pedal pressure hoping not to stall. High normal fronts, allow the rider to force the shift.

Of course, things like gated shifting, and a bit of experience solves the issues, but for the target market of the era when it was introduced, high normal front made a world of sense.
On road bikes, you seldom have to worry about the front derailer doing its job of derailing the chain. Where high normal front derailers really shine is in off-road applications where you often have to force a front derailer shift. Bandrada may not shift mid-climb but I've run across that issue many, many times. Sometimes a trail will increase in grade or you may have to transition from a steep downhill to a steep uphill rapidly or you may just choose the wrong gear for the climb. Being able to drag the chain to lower gears in those situations can be very advantageous. Not being able to shift to lower gears...a problem that was very common back in the day...leads to a stall and you either walk the hill or crash.

High normal front derailers resulted in fewer dropped chains while mountain biking, in my experience. The spring of a low normal front derailer could impart too much velocity to the chain in some instances and knock the chain completely off the ring with the same result as above...you stall and crash. It's rather frustrating to have two such diametrically opposite problems. Sometimes you couldn't make the shift and others you'd overshift.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-05-14, 06:12 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
She can't be bothered with how they work and what he cable does, she just wants to remember how to shift.

I know that it sounds silly...
I'm continually blown away by people's reluctance to try understanding something so simple.

It's as if the idea of obtaining an iota of mechanical know-how fundamentally clashes with the self-image of the average person or something.

I refuse to pander to it: 'no, it's really quite simple; this is how to remember, by understanding.'
Old 05-05-14, 08:00 AM
well biked

Sounds exactly like a road STI at 90°.
No, because you only push a road STI in one direction, with the small paddle or the brake lever. The mountain Dual Control shifters were pushed down/pushed up, just the brake lever. There was a thumb lever option that was removable I believe.
Old 05-05-14, 08:01 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I'm continually blown away by people's reluctance to try understanding something so simple.

It's as if the idea of obtaining an iota of mechanical know-how fundamentally clashes with the self-image of the average person or something.

I refuse to pander to it: 'no, it's really quite simple; this is how to remember, by understanding.'
Kimmo,
This is actually more ironic than I originally posted. She has a mechanical engineering degree. No kidding. Truth be told, she also has an MBA and is an accountant by trade.

It's not pandering when it's our wives. Rather, it's living in understanding and with a bit of compassion. She can't be bothered, and I don't need her to be different. I love her as she is...
Old 05-05-14, 08:26 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

My wife was continually demanding to know "what number I was in" and refused to grasp the notion that shifter indicator numbers don't translate to identical ratios on every bike. I eventually had to set her up with an IGH.

Regarding RR, I completely agree with cyccocommute. AND I was suspicious that it might even be a way to obsolete rear ders more quickly and increase Shimano revenue (because downshifting was left to spring action and more susceptible to friction issues that might make it seem like the der was wearing out).
Old 05-08-14, 09:09 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Kimmo,
This is actually more ironic than I originally posted. She has a mechanical engineering degree. No kidding. Truth be told, she also has an MBA and is an accountant by trade.

It's not pandering when it's our wives. Rather, it's living in understanding and with a bit of compassion. She can't be bothered, and I don't need her to be different. I love her as she is...
Wow.

Also, I'm not sure I'll ever enjoy such matrimonial harmony...
Old 06-22-22, 01:20 PM
Alian

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandrada
Personally, I was a fan of Rapid Rise since my '97 Homegrown came stock with it. I pretty much went with SRAM once 10spd hit the scene, but I'm wondering why Shimano discontinued the production of Rapid Rise derailleurs. Is it not more intuitive for most people?
Had rapid rise on my bike since 2000. They are brilliant. Have never had a moments trouble with them (xtr). Much better than fumbling with thumb numbing pushers on an unexpected hill! Superb idea, don't let the purists put you off!
Old 06-22-22, 02:30 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I liked rapid rise. Most of the sentiment against it seemed to be 'DIFFERENT. ME NO LIKE'.
It sure seemed to work as well as high-normal, and the only issue I recall when setting up and adjusting was convincing my brain to work on it backwards.

Back before Sram bought Sachs, I thought Rapid Rise with Sachs grip-style shifters was the best setup.
Old 06-23-22, 02:54 AM
esasjl

Bikes: '84 Chas Roberts, '91 Peugeot Galibier, '94 Gitane Leader, '51 Dayton Elite, '90 Verago ATB, '08 Dawes Sardar

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 60 Posts
I've got a mix of high and low-normal RDs across several bikes and don't have a preference for either in use. When I get tired I tend to revert to high-normal but that is learnt behaviour from a long time ago. Mechanically, it may be that if the parallelogram spring is not strong enough to shift to the next sprocket then forcing it might break other components. Going to a bigger sprocket would seem the more difficult move so low-normal may be more resilient in this sense. I'd like to experiment with getting rid of the parallelogram spring and converting to close-loop (Nivex) actuation as this appeals mechanically. Has anyone done this?
Old 06-23-22, 02:57 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Got old, no slow rise either.
Old 06-23-22, 08:31 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Alian
Had rapid rise on my bike since 2000. They are brilliant. Have never had a moments trouble with them (xtr). Much better than fumbling with thumb numbing pushers on an unexpected hill! Superb idea, don't let the purists put you off!
I have no idea what “thumb numbing pushers” are but I’m reasonably certain that Bandrada has figured out any issues after 8 years.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!