Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

what to do with tiny flaw in tubeless rim tape?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-15-21, 04:01 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts

There is a very tiny flaw in rim tape on a tubeless rim I have. Think of the size of a pencil head. Rest of rim tape is fine. The mark is like a few mms from the rim edge. Should I do something with this flaw? Put some tape over it? Leave it? Other?
Old 02-15-21, 04:57 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Tubeless is very sensitive to the quality of the taping job. I always clean the rim with acetone prior to applying tubeless tape and make sure it gets a good stretch so it sets in the center channel.

You can try taping over it, but in my experience it could lead to frustration. When in doubt, re-tape.
Old 02-15-21, 05:05 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
A picture would help. It depends what is beneath the flaw. If is is on a part of the rim where fluid cannot escape through the flaw and the flaw is not close to a spoke hole etc. you can probably leave it. If it is right at a spoke hole, or a place where sealant can escape through it clean the area with isopropyl alcohol or similar mineral spirit and put some tape over it. if you don't have any specific rim tape Gorilla tape is fine.
Old 02-15-21, 05:16 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Originally Posted by bikeaddiction1
A picture would help. It depends what is beneath the flaw. If is is on a part of the rim where fluid cannot escape through the flaw and the flaw is not close to a spoke hole etc. you can probably leave it. If it is right at a spoke hole, or a place where sealant can escape through it clean the area with isopropyl alcohol or similar mineral spirit and put some tape over it. if you don't have any specific rim tape Gorilla tape is fine.
I’ll get a pic later. It’s not near a spoke hole.
Old 02-15-21, 05:37 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
I’ll get a pic later. It’s not near a spoke hole.
When you're dealing with tubeless everywhere is near a spoke hole. You can try to patch it, I'd go at least 12" each side and make sure the tape is truly stuck down edge to edge.
Old 02-16-21, 07:37 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by bikeaddiction1
this is the flaw.

Old 02-16-21, 08:42 AM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
this is the flaw.
I would trim off the little flap of tape so the tire bead can't catch it as you are inflating it and leave it as is. It should not leak there and it does not extend out to where the tire bead will sit.