Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike shop ripping me off?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-22, 06:23 AM
ChimeraKC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This shop is always trying to sell me more than I want and sell me on a new bike. Only game in town. I have 2019 Specialized Allez that needs a new cassette, chain and chainring.
We have waited weeks for a cassette to arrive - I see tons of compatible ones online - and they say they can only get a chainring with the cranks attached. REALLY? I see tons of them for sale without that. They also say the bearings are gone on the rear wheel and I need a new one. I had a Bianchi for ten years and never replaced any wheels. Think these guys are out of it and ripping me off? I am a snowbird and trust my shop in Florida much more but these repairs are needed now. Thanks
Old 06-19-22, 06:32 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Without taking a look at your bike, and at the local parts availability (not taking that for granted), it's difficult to answer that question - at least for me.
Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 06-19-22, 06:40 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Obviously, it's not possible to assess the wheel, but the other issues can be resolved easily. Chainrings, cassette and chain, whether your bike is 2X8 - 2X11, are readily available. You might look at Sheldon Brown or YouTube and complete the repairs yourself.
Likes For 2old:
Old 06-19-22, 07:04 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
How many miles on those components
Likes For dedhed:
Old 06-19-22, 07:05 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,172 Posts
The shop is incorrect about getting replacement chainrings, so that calls into question all the rest. New shop maybe ?. Or do it yourself.

Last edited by Steve B.; 06-19-22 at 08:04 AM.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 06-19-22, 08:03 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
It's always hard for anyone to comment on whether a shop is bad, or not, due to so many unknowns with communications between shop and customer. I always tell people to learn to do some of these things yourself and there is so much info available about how to do anything with YT vids, forums like this one and even many mfrs have info about their products to help with maintenance. Not trying to put shops out of business so even if you still prefer to have them do the work you'll at least be an informed customer and recognize the good from the bad shop. In your case changing out a chain/cassette/chainring are all fairly easy tasks with not a huge investment in tools and asking here can get you tons of help with finding the right parts. Your rear wheel bearings needing replacement may be a little trickier if you have cartridge bearings but if you know what to look for you may find they just need a lube, adjustment or ??? You should ask the shop why they recommend a whole new wheel. I do my own work and haven't had a shop touch my bike in decades but I have listened in to mechanics in shops talking to customers and the advice ranges from scary bad to highly skilled and experienced so much so that they might actually lose a sale on something by telling the customer that something less expensive will be a better choice or even how to fix the problem themselves.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 06-19-22 at 08:06 AM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 06-19-22, 08:10 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Just skimming your posts.. this shop sees you as the equivalent of a potted plant. Only game in town... might be how they survive this box store world.

LEARN more... MUCH. They might well stop watering you.

AWFUL nice to have a real bike shop close by...costs MUCH to keep those doors open.
Old 06-19-22, 08:18 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
It is hard to imagine any 2019 Allez that chainrings are not readily available, but they might be Claris 8 speed which was a little weird for 2019, the shop should clearly be explaining this to you.
Old 06-19-22, 08:22 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I don't think a shop trying to sell you a bike is ripping you off. They are trying to both stay in business and keep you as a customer. The key is how these two motivations overlap and what do their customers think of that. One of the very early lessons I learned about running a business was that there's nearly no way for a shop to make every potential customer happy. There are reasons why a shop takes one path, instead of another, when dealing with their business. Not all these reasons are shared by all, or even acknowledged by some.

I have to admit that I question those who reject options and instead turn them into faults. One might choose to not take the offers up but to claim a crime (stealing, it's what ripping one off means to me) when no harm or loss has happened is stretching things a lot. Andy
Old 06-19-22, 08:32 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
If you’re sure that parts are available, source them yourself and take them to the store for fitting.
although you do then assume the responsibility for compatibility.

Barry
Old 06-19-22, 08:56 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
As others have said-good idea to learn repair/replace skills. Can be less costly to buy tools (if needed) than to pay someone to do the work. Plus-you will know what/how it was done and because it's YOUR bike, you may take more care than a shop trying to crank out repairs. Luckily I have several good shops nearby if I'm stuck on a repair or need advice. But there still is nothing like the satisfaction of diy. Of course, depending if you like to 'tnker". I do. Many on here with better/more up to date mech. skills than I, who can help if you can supply enough specifics to analyze the problem and offer suggestions.
Old 06-19-22, 09:54 AM
ChimeraKC

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Gremlin
Without taking a look at your bike, and at the local parts availability (not taking that for granted), it's difficult to answer that question - at least for me.
Ok thanks. I just cant imagine having to buy cranks with the chainring. What a ripoff
Old 06-19-22, 09:57 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
it would help to know what components are on the bike, 2019 allez can go from claris to to 105 and looks like as normal a mix of brands shimano, praxis, tectro, sunrace

I don't understand bearing gone on rear wheel, need a new one, unless if ball and cone, the races get destroyed or if cartridge surface got destroyed by not good repleacement technique. any time you don't understand, get the shop to explain in detail

again really hard to diagnose remotely

I like park videos for learning https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/repair-help

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-19-22, 10:38 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by ChimeraKC
Ok thanks. I just cant imagine having to buy cranks with the chainring. What a ripoff
What brand and model of crank? One or both chainrings? Without knowing this it would be impossible to tell if what the shop is telling you is true. Sometimes if you have to replace both rings a complete crank can actually be cheaper

Last edited by alcjphil; 06-19-22 at 10:43 AM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 06-19-22, 10:46 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
nearly no way for a shop to make every potential customer happy. Andy
Yes.. and then no. GOOD sales people lay it out to be understood.. the why's. Earns respect,... the BUILDS any business.

Those crank have riveted rings by chance??? Those of course not replaceable. Chain skips under load?
Old 06-19-22, 10:47 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
...learn to do some of these things yourself...
Sometimes ya can afford to let others do a certain task for ya, but often ya find ya gotta do it yourself anyway...

Besides that it's Fun, Fun, Fun...
Old 06-19-22, 10:48 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
let's pump the breaks a little bit

#1 - some components / parts are almost impossible to get - many of the large distributors have issues obtaining inventory ( (one example : QBP) and therefore it can be significant challenge for the bike shops to acquire the parts ; many bike shops have resorted to searching and sourcing parts from Amazon and eBay

#2 - individual chainrings can be a challenge to find (depending on model) and can be relatively expensive if they are available - so often it can make more sense to replace the entire (complete) crankset
Likes For t2p:
Old 06-19-22, 10:50 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
this is not uncommon - and actually fairly common especially recently
Likes For t2p:
Old 06-19-22, 11:11 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
I have never changed chainrings on a crank in 40 years of cycling. I knew they were available, but it was always a very high-end kind of component - like something you'd MAYBE do for a Dura Ace or Super Record crank. When I've changed cranks it was because I broke a crankarm or wanted a different system. If the chainring was worn out, I figured the crank was too... and I've broken enough cranks to not want it to happen again.

Maybe the shop is not being totally square with you, but I don't see that they're ripping you off. It is not a very common task.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 06-19-22, 11:26 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
This shop is always trying to sell me more than I want and sell me on a new bike. Only game in town. I have 2019 Specialized Allez that needs a new cassette, chain and chainring.
We have waited weeks for a cassette to arrive - I see tons of compatible ones online - and they say they can only get a chainring with the cranks attached. REALLY? I see tons of them for sale without that. They also say the bearings are gone on the rear wheel and I need a new one. I had a Bianchi for ten years and never replaced any wheels. Think these guys are out of it and ripping me off? I am a snowbird and trust my shop in Florida much more but these repairs are needed now. Thanks
I am lost on this completely. I could see a chain wearing out after and a cassette, but a chainring? The cranks and chainrings are easily good for 40-25,000 miles. I suppose on could be wore out after 10,000 but I seriously doubt it. How many miles are on this bike since you bought it? Normally cranks come with the chainrings you buy and if for somereason you need a new set of cranks, that is simple. You buy them and install them it is not rocket science. You need tools and have to get educated to what you need. If you ride a lot miles which seems you do given you are wearing out parts, spend some time learning some basic bike mechanic skills. Some things do need a shop or are done so little that the tool is not worth it to buy. However routine work on your bike is within your grasp. Give us the run down on the compenents you have on the bike now and I tell you probably need. A photo of the chain ring would be good. Chains and cassettes are wear items they go bad between different amounts of mileage and conditions.

For the record I usually get 7-10,000 miles on an 11 speed chain before it is stretched too far. This is much more than average but I keep it clean and lubricate it and I don't live in the mountains and tend to spin. I get 20,000 miles on a cassette for the same reasons. I have never worn out a chainring on my bike which has 40,000 miles on it and I bought it in March of 2017. It happens to have the same bottom bracker too never have I touched it and the cranks spin like a top. I mention this because really it is not all the difficult to rigure out with some research. The bike shop is saving you all the research and they are doing everything for you. That is fine and a great service however they will normally only do things a certain way and make it easy on themselves if possible.
Old 06-19-22, 11:40 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
If you need a new chainring, which for a 2019 bike would indicate your doing a lot of distance on it, then which one needs replacing can decide what is the cheaper option, if the inner, normally these are cheap, the outer, then you have to look at the cost vs just replacing the whole crank, as these, esp with newer non-flat designs are are often so close in price to a whole crank, that just replacing the crank is the cheaper option.

Add to this availability, if the LBS is doing a like for like, this may come into play, and like for like can lead to delays in time and increases in cost (you mention compatible parts are available online, 2 question need to be answered by you, did you ask the LBS about these, and/or why didn't you order/fit yourself, as the chainring only need a few tools to replace on a modern bike, hex/torx wrenches and maybe a specific chainring tool, which are is not an expensive tool).

For the bearing in your rear wheel, no mention of what these are, if cartridge, no reason why if your doing the distance to kill a chainring that these won't also need replacing, cartridge bearing are an easily replaceable part, although may not last as long as cup and cone bearing ( the price you pay for super easier serviceability)

With all your issues, you really need to be specific in what bike/parts you have as, as noted by others, the Allez covers many models at different spec points , with different parts.
Old 06-19-22, 02:38 PM
Tawraste666

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I had a new wheel on a new bike that didn't have enough grease and it went bad.
Having caught it relatively early I was able to save the races. The bearings were a couple of pounds for 100 on amazon.
Changing bearings is not complicated or time consuming.

If you have cartridge bearings - I have got loads more life out of a siezed bearing by removing the dust cover, cleaning it thoroughly and regreasing. Zero cost, except time.

Chainrings I have bought from amazon loads if times. I have even set up email alerts through 3rd party sites to keep an eye on the price and get alerted for price drops which amazon do all the time.

The shop has overheads and will be looking out for themselves, just like a car garage.
You can do this work yourself and save a lot of money or let them sell you a bike.

Your call.
Old 06-19-22, 05:32 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Aladin
Those crank have riveted rings by chance??? Those of course not replaceable.
I was also thinking that, but it seems unlikely that such a crank would come with a 2019 Specialized Allez, unless the OP got his after it had been scavenged for parts?
Old 06-19-22, 05:42 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
I wore out my inner Ultegra 11 speed chain ring. The cost of replacement was $10. The outer ones tend to be pricier.

It is kind of hard to tell if it needs to be replaced until you put a new chain on. Then you can see gaps when you pull on it, and it will skip under load.
Old 06-19-22, 05:52 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
What a rip-off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.