Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Aluminum: are there any fans left?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Aluminum: are there any fans left?

Old 06-27-20, 03:45 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
yes but i want a carbon fork and carbon seatstays.
Old 06-27-20, 04:56 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,887 Times in 1,646 Posts
I'm an aluminum fan, but aluminum doesn't need fans. The vast majority of bikes sold these days are aluminum. You wouldn't know it from reading BikeForums posts, but steel bikes---and titanium bikes and carbon bikes, for that matter---represent only a very small percentage of bike sales every year.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-27-20, 09:38 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
yes but i want a carbon fork and carbon seatstays.
Like my 15 yr old Masi Gran Criterium S? AL w/ CF seat and chain stays. All Dura Ace.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 06-27-20, 01:51 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
^yes
Old 07-07-20, 11:44 AM
Cpinn3r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I don't think alloy dead for roadies. I just bought a brand new Merida Reacto 400 from ebay. Got it for under $1000 USD. Not really well marketed in North America probably why not talked about as much but I think its one of the cheapest Aero alloy bike out there. Compared to CAAD or Allez sprint.

Old 07-07-20, 07:38 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I think modern AL bikes are a great value, and they don't ride as harsh as they use to. You can get AL bikes that will weigh as much as CF for half the cost of a CF bike, so if you want a really nice bike and not pay out the nose, or if your racing in a bracket that doesn't have sponsors throwing bikes at you then AL bike is really the only way to go unless you have very deep pockets and don't care about crashing and buying a new expensive CF frame, and in the lower brackets of racing crashing is highly possible, so you would want a frame that is cheap to replace.

I am not a TI snob, I own one but there is a back story to why. I've had nothing but steel bikes for over 40 years, so when I decided to shop for another bike I checked out more than a dozen bikes, mostly CF, a couple of aluminum bikes, and a couple of TI bikes that a couple of friends had, a Motobecane and a Serotta. As I rode those bikes I actually was surprised but I really liked the TI bikes, they had a slightly better ride then the steel bikes which my steel bike felt better than CF or AL jobs I rode; so I ended up with a 2013 Lynskey Peloton that I never test rode, but come to find out I didn't have too, it rode that well. Of course all that I said above is subjective of course, but it does seem that most people that try a TI bike fall in love with them, and it doesn't have to be the most expensive TI bike either. The one friend who has the Motobecane is the least expensive TI on the market, and it rode just fine, as did the more expensive Serotta, there were subtle differences, the Serotta had a very smooth ride but it had S shaped rear stays which probably played a major part in the ride, but the Moto while a bit less smooth was still better than my steel bikes. The Lynskey that I got had a just a tad firmer ride but felt more surefooted than either of the others, what we later determined was the Enve 2.0 fork was more rigid and made the bike handle like on rails. My friend with the Moto decide early this year to go with the Enve 2.0 fork and it did improve the way the bike feels while maneuvering.

Anyways, like I said, how a frame material feels, combined with geometry, is all subjective. After being on the TI bike for 7 years I wanted a TI touring bike but I couldn't see spending that kind of money to tour on, and the TI touring bikes cost more than what I paid for mine, so I instead went with steel. But the steel touring bike is comfortable due to longer stays, longer wheelbase and fatter tires floating on lower PSI then my road bike.

Sad news, my friend with the Serotta passed away this last week from cancer, he was 63, very dedicated cyclist. Geez, this is the 5th friend that died in the last 3 months, they're dropping like flies around me, and none from C19.
Likes For greatscott:
Old 07-14-20, 12:23 AM
AlanK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Different frame materials have been tested and the difference in ride quality is negligible. The most important factors that determine ride quality in descending order are:

1) Tires: A wider, deeper tire will absorb more road turbulence, thus providing a more comfy ride. This is why 650b wheels/tires are so comfy.
2) Saddle: As the component most directly connected to the rider, the saddle is also a crucial factor.
3) Geometry: A properly sized bike with a relaxed riding position is more comfy.
4) Seat-Post: Less of a factor than the previous 3, but still a factor since it's connected to the saddle. Seat-post flex is actually more relevant than frame-flex, which is negligible.

That's right. A well-designed frame should have little or no flex! Considering this, in terms of comfort frame material is mostly inconsequential. Frame design is more important than the material.
Old 07-14-20, 01:19 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
I'm pretty sure that most Tourney components will last for years and years underneath countless "serious" riders...
Eh, my experience says otherwise, that tourney RD is a sloppy P.O.S. (It never shifted well, and got substantially worse in short order)

I switched to a SRAM x-3 combo and have been shifting flawlessly for the past 3 years.

I also ride a high tensile steel Dahon folder, and an old CAAD-3 warranty replacement frame converted to single speed.

I'm willing to bet that both of these bikes will outlive me.
Old 07-21-20, 04:56 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
Eh, my experience says otherwise, that tourney RD is a sloppy P.O.S. (It never shifted well, and got substantially worse in short order)

I switched to a SRAM x-3 combo and have been shifting flawlessly for the past 3 years.

I also ride a high tensile steel Dahon folder, and an old CAAD-3 warranty replacement frame converted to single speed.

I'm willing to bet that both of these bikes will outlive me.
I do agree that Tourney RDs - especially the ones with the red jockey wheel - will be utter crap in the shift quality department in everyday use. I've owned several bikes - both brandname and knockoff - that had them and my experience mirrors yours: I had to work on them at least once every week.

But my post that you quoted wasn't about how well they shifted; it was about whether they would stay in service for a reasonable amount of time (measured in years rather than months or weeks.)

I also agree that any Tourney RD can't hold a candle to the more affordable ones among the (arguably simpler) SRAM range. While the X3 on my current Dahon isn't as "nice" as the X5's that were on my older Mu and Speed, it's still a far cry from the curved-face Tourney that came on my old Vybe. I never even had to adjust it once since I rode the bike home from the shop. And yet, I'm sure that the Tourney will last just as long as the X3 and will be much cheaper to replace (last time I saw them local Trek dealer sell one, it was for about 80 riyals/$17, and the level of abuse that the customer had inflicted on his entry-level Trek was borderline criminal.)

Last edited by sjanzeir; 02-02-23 at 12:50 PM.
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 07-22-20, 09:39 PM
woofy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
It's interesting to hear from knowledgeable and experienced cyclists who have ridden bikes that are similar but made of different materials. This is less common than it might seem. What we see more of on BF is the whine of reverse snobbery. That said, I don't think anyone would argue there isn't a place in cycling for a nice CAAD!
I’m a fan, particularly of CAAD. My CAAD10 shares the stable with a hi mod evo of the same vintage. So I can compare. Geometry very similar. Same company. Same vintage. Both get ridden a lot. Granted, I tend to use the CAAD a bit more as a mule and a beater, but I derive absolutely no less pleasure from it. Some days I swear it just plain feels more direct.

Stiff! It was less comfortable than the evo. A carbon sb seatpost (Cannondale SAVE), Carbon railed saddle Fizik Aliante and carbon bars removed the greater part of the discomfort. There remains a difference, but I like the feel and I look forward to riding it. The price point is great and can help to pay for the carbon parts.

Vintage? One of these days I’m going to pick up a CAAD4 Saeco and ride all period parts just to remind me of how far we really have come since Mario showed up to the Tour in a toga... and one of these AL bikes. If it costs me more than 500 I’ll be surprised. Definitely a place for AL... especially CAAD. My house any day.
Old 07-22-20, 10:55 PM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Can anyone comment or advise on their confidence in BMC's aluminum ride called the ALR?
The 2021 has just come out priced at $1500, rim brake model with full 105.
I'm considering buying this or a CAAD13, understanding that a wheelset upgrade would probably help either model.
I've ridden the CAAD13 but I've not yet ridden the BMC.

thanks in advance for any insight.
Old 07-23-20, 11:24 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell
Can anyone comment or advise on their confidence in BMC's aluminum ride called the ALR?
The 2021 has just come out priced at $1500, rim brake model with full 105.
I'm considering buying this or a CAAD13, understanding that a wheelset upgrade would probably help either model.
I've ridden the CAAD13 but I've not yet ridden the BMC.

thanks in advance for any insight.
The only "insight" I can offer is this.....Last June I bought a CAAD12 w/105. Pretty shortly fitted it with Mavic USTs and it is absolutely amazing. I love this bike. And, it cost me $1350 new from the LBS. FWIW, it also weighs about 17 1/2 lbs. I should also mention that I went back to the LBS and asked about a CAAD 13 for a friend. Basically, there are none. They seem to have been sold out worldwide. Damn you COVID 19.
Old 07-23-20, 06:55 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
I happen to think the fit of the bike matters much more than the material used for the frame. I actually have a carbon framed bike but would have no problem with an aluminum. The shapes that can be made with aluminum these days is very impressive.
Old 07-24-20, 08:28 AM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
The only "insight" I can offer is this.....Last June I bought a CAAD12 w/105. Pretty shortly fitted it with Mavic USTs and it is absolutely amazing. I love this bike. And, it cost me $1350 new from the LBS. FWIW, it also weighs about 17 1/2 lbs. I should also mention that I went back to the LBS and asked about a CAAD 13 for a friend. Basically, there are none. They seem to have been sold out worldwide. Damn you COVID 19.
Thanks for the notes, that's good "insight".
I rode the CAAD13 this spring. It felt good, but not so good that I wanted it immediately.
The avails were already difficult then and have only become worse, but I won't make this decision until I ride the BMC.