Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can this repair stand be saved? Thru Axle conversion needed...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-21, 09:41 PM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts

I bought what has been a very reliable repair stand several years ago from Elite. It is a fork mount, bottom bracket supported stand, and it's been great for years. My new bike is a 2021 endurance road bike with disc brakes and thru axles. I checked with Elite to see if they made an alternative piece to use instead of the QR clamps and they said no. I already own two repair stands (an older Minoura clamp style + this one). I really prefer this to the clamp based one (plus this bike has a D-shaped seat post as well). Any aftermarket products that the mechanic savvy crowd knows of that will allow me to use the Elite and avoid buying a 3rd stand? Thanks!
Old 06-20-21, 09:50 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
How about some closeups of the actual fork attachment?

There's no place for the thru-axle to go through the connector? Drill the connector out, or get a block of aluminum the width of the inside of the fork, drill out for the thru-axle, and attachments for the rack.

How wide is the fork? If you had a 100mm part, as well as whatever size you need for the thu-axle, you may be able to make a one-size fits all adapter. Add spacers for thru-axle. Remove spacers for QR (using the same 9mm or 10mm axle, assuming that is the right size).
Old 06-20-21, 10:34 PM
Plainsman

Originally Posted by CliffordK
How about some closeups of the actual fork attachment?

There's no place for the thru-axle to go through the connector? Drill the connector out, or get a block of aluminum the width of the inside of the fork, drill out for the thru-axle, and attachments for the rack.

How wide is the fork? If you had a 100mm part, as well as whatever size you need for the thu-axle, you may be able to make a one-size fits all adapter. Add spacers for thru-axle. Remove spacers for QR (using the same 9mm or 10mm axle, assuming that is the right size).
I just found this for about $25 to allow you to put thru axle forks on a QR bike rack! Do you know of any reason something like this wouldn’t work? I have 100mm spacing with a 12mm thru axle.
Old 06-20-21, 10:38 PM
CliffordK

I'm not sure if that adapter would stand straight up on your rack, or lay down flat.

If it lays down, it will change your adjustment by a couple of inches, but hopefully that is OK with your stand.

It may or may not hold everything as tight as your old mount.
Old 06-20-21, 10:45 PM
Plainsman

I'm not sure if that adapter would stand straight up on your rack, or lay down flat.

If it lays down, it will change your adjustment by a couple of inches, but hopefully that is OK with your stand.

It may or may not hold everything as tight as your old mount.
Can you tell me what you mean by changing my adjustment? The entire assembly that holds the Quick releases in my stand is fully adjustable fore and aft if that is what you mean. When you release that banana shaped black clamp you can position the QR wherever you want on the rail. Would that solve the issue?
Old 06-20-21, 11:37 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Plainsman
Can you tell me what you mean by changing my adjustment? The entire assembly that holds the Quick releases in my stand is fully adjustable fore and aft if that is what you mean. When you release that banana shaped black clamp you can position the QR wherever you want on the rail. Would that solve the issue?
Yep.

So, your mounting place will be 2" or 3" fore or aft. But, that should within the adjustment range of the top beam (which must be adjustable to work with different bike sizes and styles).
Old 06-21-21, 12:31 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Won't your clamp style work with the D shaped seat post? Or just use it on the seat tube or top tube. Just don't go King Kong clamping it.

Or how about just figuring a way to attach/bolt this thru axle fork mount to the existing sliding fork part of your stand? He makes various TA sizes and also adapters to use with a variety of TAs. I use these in my pickup bed and they are solid and work well.

Truax Bike Mount Carbon Fiber Universal 15x110 15x100 12x100 Thru-Axle Fork | eBay

Last edited by Camilo; 06-21-21 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-21-21, 04:21 AM
Plainsman

Originally Posted by Camilo
Won't your clamp style work with the D shaped seat post? Or just use it on the seat tube or top tube. Just don't go King Kong clamping it.

Or how about just figuring a way to attach/bolt this thru axle fork mount to the existing sliding fork part of your stand? He makes various TA sizes and also adapters to use with a variety of TAs. I use these in my pickup bed and they are solid and work well.

Truax Bike Mount Carbon Fiber Universal 15x110 15x100 12x100 Thru-Axle Fork | eBay
Thanks for the help everyone! I’ve ordered the fork adapter piece I showed in the photo. We’ll see how it goes!
Likes For Plainsman:
Old 06-21-21, 10:15 AM
Plainsman

Yep.

So, your mounting place will be 2" or 3" fore or aft. But, that should within the adjustment range of the top beam (which must be adjustable to work with different bike sizes and styles).
It is, I can literally slide the portion with the quick release mounts the full length of the rail.