Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone own a Kickr Core?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone own a Kickr Core?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-21, 03:55 PM
Porknz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Anyone own a Kickr Core?

I just financed a refurbished Kickr Core from Wahoo and it should be here soon. I've never had one before, as I just started cycling this spring, and I'm a little worried as it looks like a few years ago they had some problems with production. Is there anything I should specifically do to make sure I have a good one? I don't plan to stop riding outdoors for a little while yet, depending on when the cold moves in. Hopefully I'll get into October. I don't want it to sit in the box until after the 30 day return policy from wahoo is up and then find out there are issues though. If I take the bike apart and put it on the trainer and try out zwift for the first time, what should I make sure to try, or listen for, etc. to make sure I hopefully have a good one? (Looks like I just have to remove the back wheel and connect it to the trainer and cassette?)

Thanks!
Old 09-05-21, 04:08 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
I ordered one last year just before the Pandemic hit. A few minutes into set up, it died. Apparently the power supply. I didn't know for sure what was wrong and didn't want to get involved with some ongoing customer service interaction. I returned it to REI (thanks for easy returns....) I'd suggest you get it up and running properly even if you don't use it for awhile. I may try one again. I tell myself to HTFU and ride through the winter but it doesn't happen. I've seen big improvements in friends who ride trainers and Zwift through the colder months.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-05-21, 05:38 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
I've had one for a while and it has been flawless. The issue you are thinking of I believe was the 2017 version of the Kickr, not the Kickr core. Super simple setup, especially if you have through axle. Watch the setup video they have on the Wahoo site if you are unsure. Also, you don't have to use Zwift, there are all sorts of compatible apps you can use with it. I use Rouvy with mine and really like it. Real world street video versus the game like atmosphere om Zwift. Although I live in the Southeast and year round riding is available, I use my trainer all the time in the summer when the heat and humidity are excessive. It also comes in handy to ride mountains as I have none of that where I live.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 09-05-21 at 05:50 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 09-06-21, 06:39 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Like jaxgtr, I also have a Kickr Core and use Rouvy. I bought my Core prior to Winter ‘19 and have not had any issues at all. The doc that comes with the trainer makes the setup super simple, and it is supplemented with great videos on Wahoo’s website and many users have posted videos on YouTube that review it and/or show its setup and use.

When I first started using my Kickr Core, I tried both Zwift and Rouvy. I thought Rouvy was far superior because the routes you ride are actual videos of real locations rather than the animated scenes used in Zwift. There are 100s of routes, of varying distance and difficulty, all over the world and you can choose to ride alone or with virtual partners, who have ridden the selected route in the past. Once I decided on Rouvy, I have never considered switch to any other training software.

Up through last Winter, I mounted my primary bike, a Cannondale Synapse that I upgraded with an Ultegra Di2 groupset, on my Kickr Core. A few weeks ago, I bought a used 2016 Orbea Avant that I will mount permanently mount on the Kickr Core. That bike is currently at my LBS, who is giving it a look-over and making any needed adjustments/repairs so that I can ‘riide’ on inclement days during warm weather without having to mount my Synapse, and throughout the Winter as I have done in past years.

When you get your Kickr Core, I suggest you set it up, mount your bike on it to try it out to se if there are any issues which, I suspect, are unlikely. But better to find it sooner rather than later, when the weather prevents outdoor cycling and any warranty you receive has expired. Stop worrying about things that don’t yet, if ever, exist. Enjoy getting back into cycling and enjoy and improve yor riding with the Kickr Core!
Old 09-06-21, 08:19 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
i have a 2018 model that i got new in mid 2019. when i received it i set it up and rode it about 5 times to make sure it owrkd and on the shelf it went. then winter came, glad i had it. but i learned that there were some 2018 models with some problems:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/01/...ickr-core.html

very likely wahoo would not ship the incorrect power supply to you but it never hurts to check.

another thing for me is that i really try never to ride it unless it is powered up. i have not taken it apart but i would suspect that running it could possibly generate power and that power needs to go somewhere. static shocks were what was taking out kickers partly related to the power supply. i may be overly cautious but it is pretty easy not to take these chances.

for a good test with the unit powered off grab the fly wheel and give it a shove in either direction. let it rotate until it stops. if the bearings are good then when it does stop it should rotate a small amount in the opposite direction. i really don't recall the physics behind this.

also, while it is rotating is should not make any unexpected noises, it should be quite silent.

your question would be better posed here: https://www.bikeforums.net/indoor-st...cycling-forum/
Old 09-07-21, 04:25 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
I had one I bought in late 2018 which lasted until xmas 2020 before having a failed bearing resulting in deafening noise while pedaling, Wahoo sent me a refurb which died immediately upon receipt. I returned it and bought a brand new Kickr V4 which has been reliable so far.
Old 09-07-21, 06:34 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
I purchased a Kickr Core in early 2020 and it helped keep my sanity during the dark days of the pandemic. I use Zwift and it has been flawless. I get some interference with my Wifi Signal when the microwave was used - it made Zwift & Kickr react wierdly, with random hard efforts required to keep the original pace, switching to a coasting effect the next few seconds. Until I figured out it was the microwave affecting my 2.4gHz Wifi, the 'random' problems drove me nuts. Now I make sure everything is connected to the 5gHZ Wifi signal from the router and all is good.

The Core does not come with a cassette so make sure you have a spare on hand, or you will have to remove it from your wheel to use on the trainer.
Old 09-07-21, 07:37 AM
spelger

Originally Posted by redcon1
I purchased a Kickr Core in early 2020 and it helped keep my sanity during the dark days of the pandemic. I use Zwift and it has been flawless. I get some interference with my Wifi Signal when the microwave was used - it made Zwift & Kickr react wierdly, with random hard efforts required to keep the original pace, switching to a coasting effect the next few seconds. Until I figured out it was the microwave affecting my 2.4gHz Wifi, the 'random' problems drove me nuts. Now I make sure everything is connected to the 5gHZ Wifi signal from the router and all is good.

The Core does not come with a cassette so make sure you have a spare on hand, or you will have to remove it from your wheel to use on the trainer.
microwave ovens are cheap. replace it. if it is leaking then it is spewing radiation nearby and literally cooking those nearby from the inside out. if you have children...

i replaced mine once i found the microwave causing problems with wifi and wii controllers.

edit: and to add, getting your wifi onto the 5 ghz band won't correct any sensor problems, both bluetooth and ant+ use the 2.4 band.
Old 09-07-21, 09:19 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
microwave ovens are cheap. replace it. if it is leaking then it is spewing radiation nearby and literally cooking those nearby from the inside out. if you have children...

i replaced mine once i found the microwave causing problems with wifi and wii controllers.

edit: and to add, getting your wifi onto the 5 ghz band won't correct any sensor problems, both bluetooth and ant+ use the 2.4 band.
Weird that you say about the 5 gHz band-- since using that I don't experience any variations in Trainer or wifi drops, even when we tested with microwave on. I think my Core connection is solely ANT+ as FE-C trainer?
As for replacement, probably good advice. This is a built-in unit that will make it difficult to replace, but it's on the list.
Old 09-07-21, 10:11 AM
spelger

Originally Posted by redcon1
Weird that you say about the 5 gHz band-- since using that I don't experience any variations in Trainer or wifi drops, even when we tested with microwave on. I think my Core connection is solely ANT+ as FE-C trainer?
As for replacement, probably good advice. This is a built-in unit that will make it difficult to replace, but it's on the list.
using the wifi at ~5ghz will eliminate the problems of the leaking microwave which operates at ~2.4 ghz. however, your bluetooth and ant+ devices still operate at ~2.4-2.5 ghz so there is possible interference for the sensors.
Old 09-07-21, 12:47 PM
oujeep1

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Colnago CX1 EVO

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have a Kickr since last fall, some of the best money I have spent on cycling. I use Rouvy and FulGaz primarily not much Zwift. FulGaz has a wider variety of rides than Rouvy but some of the video has a lot of side to side motion since it is taken from a bike, that can get distracting. You can also set up a group ride on Rouvy, not on FulGaz. Definitely get the speed or heart rate sensitive fan, and the sweat mat.
Apple TV makes it really work well, and be sure you have enough Wifi speed.
I love when its 22 degrees outside in February to be able to magically transport myself to Hawaii and ride along the Kona coast to Hawi. And there no wind!!
Old 09-08-21, 09:42 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

I was on my Kickr Core and Rouvy tonight. Did a ride in the hills of Scotland that almost broke me. A lot of 12 to 18% incline for someone from an area where it is flat, is very tough. I would have given my kingdom for a 34 tooth cassette, the 30 tooth I have on it was not cutting it.

Old 09-09-21, 07:30 AM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I was on my Kickr Core and Rouvy tonight. Did a ride in the hills of Scotland that almost broke me. A lot of 12 to 18% incline for someone from an area where it is flat, is very tough. I would have given my kingdom for a 34 tooth cassette, the 30 tooth I have on it was not cutting it.
That’s why I upgraded to the Wahoo Kickr bike. I lead group rides on Rouvy. An I can set up any gearing I want and change it mid ride if I have too.
Old 09-09-21, 03:51 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
That’s why I upgraded to the Wahoo Kickr bike. I lead group rides on Rouvy. An I can set up any gearing I want and change it mid ride if I have too.
Yep, I just got my Stages Smart Bike on Tuesday, and my wife was riding it at the time and she was just casually riding up the same hill, while I was dragging myself up the mountain.