Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tires that will allow a road bike to ride ok on Rails To Trails gravel?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-16-21, 07:22 AM
777funk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts

Can I ride a road bike on the small gravel you see on the old train track bike trails with the right tires? I wouldn't think the smooth 27x1 1/4 road tires would do great... but then again, it's usually a pretty straight line ride. I have close to zero road bike experience. I have one road bike with tires that look like skinny mountain bike tires. I haven't ridden it enough to know much about how those would do. Any thoughts on this setup?
Old 09-16-21, 07:25 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I have rode lots of gravel miles on 700x28mm. Most is ok, but if you get new gravel that isn't compacted or mud it can be difficult.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 09-16-21, 07:35 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
27 1/4" tire equal a 33/34mm tire. While not the best choice, depending on the type of gravel and tires, they could be not so good , to very good. It is such an open question, "Can I ride", absolutely. How will the tires do, one way to find out. If the tires are old and/or have a lot of miles, I would not use them on gravel.
Old 09-16-21, 07:41 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
The rails-to-trails gravel that I've ridden has been fine, hard-packed, and generally smooth. I wouldn't have any qualms riding several miles of that kind of stuff with my 28mm tires. Just be aware that you'll be grip limited and act appropriately.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-16-21, 07:44 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Its not just the tires I would worry about. You need quite a long reach and top tube length to feel comfortable on singletrack.
Old 09-16-21, 07:53 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Its not just the tires I would worry about. You need quite a long reach and top tube length to feel comfortable on singletrack.
Lucky we are talking about crushed stone rail trails then.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-16-21, 07:54 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by 777funk
Can I ride a road bike on the small gravel you see on the old train track bike trails with the right tires? I wouldn't think the smooth 27x1 1/4 road tires would do great... but then again, it's usually a pretty straight line ride. I have close to zero road bike experience. I have one road bike with tires that look like skinny mountain bike tires. I haven't ridden it enough to know much about how those would do. Any thoughts on this setup?
Depends on what you mean by "small gravel" I suppose.

Here in Illinois at least, the rail trails are hardpacked FA-6 gradation limestone screenings. Closeup, it resembles very small gravel. But it packs hard and makes for a very hard and smooth surface for road bikes. I've ridden countless miles on them, ever since about age 12 or so, first with 27x1-1/4 tires and now 700x25C tires on regular drop-bar road bikes. Nothing special about reach or top tube length. Same bikes I ride on the road.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 09-16-21, 07:57 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
A 27x 1 1/4" tire is about the same width as a 700 x 32 road tire which is more than wide enough to ride on those sorts of trails. I have even ridden a rail trail on 700 x 23 tires without issues.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 09-16-21, 07:59 AM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 100 Posts
You mentioned 27x1 1/4 road tires. If that's what you have, Panaracer Paselas are available in that side and they're pretty nice all-purpose tires. They'll work well on compacted gravel, although maybe not as well on loose stuff.
Old 09-16-21, 08:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
All the rails to trails paths I've seen were made with bicycles in mind. Do you see people riding bikes on that particular trail? Look and see what they have on their bikes. Note what bikes they are using. Talk to them about their experience on the trail with that bike and if they'd want something different for their bike.

You don't need much tread pattern for packed gravel. 27 x 1¼ tires are about 32mm wide x 630 bsd, IIRC. So they should be okay for packed gravel, but wider might be better. I don't have much experience on gravel, but I've ridden it on 25 mm tires. When it becomes loose gravel, you won't want to ride very far. I'm not sure even 40 mm will work well on loose gravel.

Thankfully, our two rails to trails paths here are paved.

Tanglefoot Trail
https://www.longleaftrace.org/

Both about 44 miles.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-16-21, 08:05 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I rode one of the local rail trails with 25mm tires and I really wished I had 32mm tires. Probably larger tires would work marginally better, but 32mm seems fine.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-16-21, 08:20 AM
777funk

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy

Here in Illinois at least, the rail trails are hardpacked FA-6 gradation limestone screenings. Closeup, it resembles very small gravel. But it packs hard and makes for a very hard and smooth surface for road bikes. I've ridden countless miles on them, ever since about age 12 or so, first with 27x1-1/4 tires and now 700x25C tires on regular drop-bar road bikes. Nothing special about reach or top tube length. Same bikes I ride on the road.
I assume we've been on the same trail. I rode the old train trail in that area (Milwaukee to Chicago and maybe further north or south) many times. Nice packed gravel. I've never ridden that trail on a road bike (BMX as a kid and later mountain bikes), but it was always super smooth. Good to hear it's doable.
Old 09-16-21, 08:30 AM
Reflector Guy

I assume we've been on the same trail. I rode the old train trail in that area (Milwaukee to Chicago and maybe further north or south) many times. Nice packed gravel. I've never ridden that trail on a road bike (BMX as a kid and later mountain bikes), but it was always super smooth. Good to hear it's doable.
Very close! I ride on the Illinois Prairie Path and the Great Western Trail west of Chicago. I see countless road bikes with "normal" road bike tires there every day.

The only time I wish I had more rubber is when I drive down to the south suburbs and ride on the Old Plank Road trail which is asphalt, but it is very bumpy.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 09-16-21, 09:21 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I have no experience on dedicated gravel/limestone trails as my "gravel" rides are country roads, pasture two tracks, and occasionally cross country. 26x1.50 tires with a smooth center and light tread on the edges work fine. I would not take skinny road tires on these surfaces. My son and I are considering the 109 mile gravel Mickelson trail in South Dakota. The guide book and promotional materials say "thin tired road bikes are not recommended."

Advice to see what others are riding is excellent. Were I you, I would opt for your road bike with the skinny mountain bike tires absent other input.
Old 09-16-21, 09:35 AM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 32 Posts
Truly depends on the surface as everyone said. I've ridden 25 and now 28mms on untold miles of packed dust/gravel trails, and they do fine. Unless it's made of old ballast stone, the road bikes work fine for me. Go ride the trail you're interested in. And if it's too rugged, turn around.
Likes For exercion:
Old 09-16-21, 10:19 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
I have rode lots of gravel miles on 700x28mm. Most is ok, but if you get new gravel that isn't compacted or mud it can be difficult.
100% agree. Most crushed limestone or gravel paths are well compacted enough that they'll hold water in low spots just like asphalt, with the occasional loose spot. I ride on 35mm 700C tires on it just fine. I was able to traverse loose larger gravel (acorn sized to walnut sized road underlayment) on Mackinac Island, but handling was very compromised. That stuff doesn't pack under bike wheels. I'd look to much wider tires to handle long stretches of that.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 09-16-21, 10:30 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I ride a crushed limestone towpath fairly often (1-2x/week) and my 700x23's do just fine on them. "Bile trails" that consist of rail ballast suck for bicycles IMHO. I don't even like to ride a mountain bike on them.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 09-16-21, 10:59 AM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Rode 40 miles on a Rail Trail in Michigan on finely packed gravel. I probably could have used the stock 28mm tires. But not knowing what the gravel was like beforehand I put 35mm Schwalbe G-one tires on my bike and 38mm Specialized gravel tires on my wife's bike and we were both very happy.

Despite the surface being uneven (though finely packed) no vibrations reached my butt or hands. I was really surprised how pleasant the ride was. I'm sold and I'm glad I got a second wheelset and tires.
Old 09-16-21, 10:59 AM
Reflector Guy

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Most crushed limestone or gravel paths are well compacted enough that they'll hold water in low spots just like asphalt, with the occasional loose spot.
Yep, that's the down side. After a lot of heavy rain, there can be occasional puddles. I just steer around them. But more annoying is the spray that get kicks up by the tires. It has to be really saturated for that to happen though and I just use those days to ride elsewhere.

Right now though it is so dry that the path is dusty. I rode last night after work and in the low setting sun I could see the dust kicked up by almost every bike or jogger.
Old 09-16-21, 11:29 AM
Friisk

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
make sure your frame can accomodate the wider tyres. I guess it’s obvious but still… just had to mention it
Likes For Friisk:
Old 09-16-21, 11:48 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
I ride a crushed limestone towpath fairly often (1-2x/week) and my 700x23's do just fine on them. "Bile trails" that consist of rail ballast suck for bicycles IMHO. I don't even like to ride a mountain bike on them.
Agree. Years ago when they first opened one of the old rail grades to bikes, it was some form of crushed rock or ballast. We specifically took our mtn bikes. It was like riding through honey or molasses. After two miles we turned around and found an old forest dirt road - what a relief!
Likes For kahn:
Old 09-16-21, 12:10 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
All depends on the surface. You said you have 27"x1.25 tires? You should be fine for surfaces like what I see on the GAP. I would lower pressures to 60psi to help absorb the small bumps.
Likes For friday1970:
Old 09-16-21, 01:32 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 543 Posts
You have a bike. Go ride some of the trail and see if you're comfortable. What's the worst that can happen? You won't be comfortable and turn back. Big whoop.
Old 09-16-21, 04:31 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
You have a bike. Go ride some of the trail and see if you're comfortable. What's the worst that can happen? You won't be comfortable and turn back. Big whoop.
Agreed. There's so many rail trails with so many different surfaces that, as the saying goes, all generalities are incorrect.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 09-16-21, 04:37 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy

Same thing here in WI. Limestone TB or screenings. Ridden miles on 700 x 25. In spring when the frost comes out or after a major rain storm it's soft, but most any other time it's fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.