Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Old 06-09-20, 05:54 PM
takozukuri
human being

Bikes: 7.3 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BiciMan
WOW, can you shower when you get to work, or is all downhill?I'd arrive soaked! I still prefer the look of, and have 2, no-disk-brake bikes.
Yes ... I am soaked when I get to work. And, yes, I have showers!

I did commute before having the luxury of the work shower ... and at the time ... I'd baby-wipe and change in the ADA bathroom stall.
Old 06-19-20, 05:58 PM
MrChrome
Mr Chrome

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport Carbon 4 / 2012 SC Tallboy Al / Ti SS 29er

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Ok, so I do have the 2021 Trek FX Sport Carbon 4 and really like it......it's only the second complete bike I've ever bought (the first was in 1991) but I am already changing basic parts for the contact points: pedals, CF handlebar w/Cane Creek bar ends, CF seatpost & CF saddle.........I'm changing the tires to tubeless (coming from MTBing, I've been running tubeless for years) and will try 35s......the bike handles really well and the drivetrain runs smoothly: GRX - 812 derailleur with a 600 crank on an SLX 11-42 cassette (I have a full XT 1x11 drivetrain on my SC Tallboy for comparison)......coming from a bike that was slightly small, this has been a joy to ride but I will customize the cassette to 11-47 using a OneUp conversion and add a 42T chainring.........
Old 06-28-20, 10:30 AM
TampaBayBoater

Bikes: Trek: 7200 > 7.2 FX > FX 4 Sport

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
New to the forum but old to Trek hybrids. I had the 7.2 for a few years (had a 7200 for a couple of years before that) and just decided to upgrade last week when I saw a 2020 FX 4 available locally (I didn't think the FX3 was much of an upgrade and didn't want to spend that much for the 2021 FX 4 Carbon). I have a couple of rides under my belt and just love it so far though it is an adjustment. It's a good bit faster than the 7.2 but less comfortable especially on rough roads due to the tire size.

I was planning on selling the 7.2 but as we have a little room in the garage (and I still love it) I'm just going to leave the panniers on it and leave the trailer hooked up for grocery runs.
Likes For TampaBayBoater:
Old 06-28-20, 12:27 PM
urbanOrange

Bikes: 2020 Trek FX Sport 4, 2014 Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Danno85
How do you like those bar ends? I just recently starting bike riding and bought a 2020 FX 3 disc and it has been great. Only complaints are 1. the seat (but that may be my untrained rear end) and 2. hand numbness after about 5 miles. I have gone through a whole lot of this thread and maybe I missed it a couple folks have had those ergo bar ends but I haven't seen anyone say how they compared to regular bar ends and why they went with them. Thanks in advance for any info!
They definitely help my hands out on longer rides for reducing tingling/numbness. I also try to keep my wrists less bent when on the normal grips, which helps. Thus far, I haven't been riding with gloves, but to protect my hands from the sun, I just ordered a pair of cycling gloves with some padding that should also help reduce and better distribute pressure on the nerves. I chose these over others primarily because they're designed to integrate with my stock Satellite IsoZone Plus grips (with an adapter). The Ergon ones would have been my second choice, but I didn't want to replace the entire grip. I didn't like the look of the Bontrager Satellite+ Isozone Bar Ends, but they probably would have worked for me as well, as far as comfort goes.

Last edited by urbanOrange; 06-28-20 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-28-20, 12:44 PM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The 2021 Trek FX Sport Carbon 4 comes with their standard Satellite Plus IsoZone handle bars, do these bars still not play well with most bar ends?
Old 06-28-20, 04:17 PM
Danno85

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by urbanOrange
They definitely help my hands out on longer rides for reducing tingling/numbness. I also try to keep my wrists less bent when on the normal grips, which helps. Thus far, I haven't been riding with gloves, but to protect my hands from the sun, I just ordered a pair of cycling gloves with some padding that should also help reduce and better distribute pressure on the nerves. I chose these over others primarily because they're designed to integrate with my stock Satellite IsoZone Plus grips (with an adapter). The Ergon ones would have been my second choice, but I didn't want to replace the entire grip. I didn't like the look of the Bontrager Satellite+ Isozone Bar Ends, but they probably would have worked for me as well, as far as comfort goes.
Thanks for the info! I ordered them a couple days ago with the proper adapter since it doesn’t break the bank. I figured it was worth a shot. I don’t really see much info from anyone else on BFs so I’m glad to know you’ve had a good experience. The stock grips are comfortable so I didn’t want to change the whole grip either. That’s what deterred me from the Ergons. They should be here in a few days if all goes well.
Likes For Danno85:
Old 06-28-20, 05:13 PM
urbanOrange

Bikes: 2020 Trek FX Sport 4, 2014 Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Danno85
Thanks for the info! I ordered them a couple days ago with the proper adapter since it doesn’t break the bank. I figured it was worth a shot. I don’t really see much info from anyone else on BFs so I’m glad to know you’ve had a good experience. The stock grips are comfortable so I didn’t want to change the whole grip either. That’s what deterred me from the Ergons. They should be here in a few days if all goes well.
No problem. I hope they work out well for you!
Old 07-03-20, 06:46 PM
Ramirez14

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX 7.3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Largest WTB raddler?

I was hoping to see if anyone could help me figure this one out. I checked the clearances with a caliper and I think a 45c on my 700 wheel could work. Anyone know of anything comparable to this setup? Maybe a few MMs down. 44 or 44. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-08-20, 10:58 AM
TampaBayBoater

Passed the threshold to post pics so thought I'd update with the old 7.2 workhorse, and the new 7.4.

Old 07-10-20, 10:44 AM
TampaBayBoater

Originally Posted by Jarrettsin
The 2021 Trek FX Sport Carbon 4 comes with their standard Satellite Plus IsoZone handle bars, do these bars still not play well with most bar ends?
Sorry a little late on the reply but I just put them on my FX4 (last years model) and the IsoZone bars require an adapter to add bar ends.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...apter/p/11155/
Old 07-31-20, 08:34 AM
m4rk

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all!

I've been looking at getting a Trek FX3 Disc, I saw only a few models had been updated to the new 2021 model. Overnight it seems the 2020 Trek FX 3 Disc has become the 2021 Trek FX 3, with no change to spec or colour. I wonder whether Corona has caused it.

I was kinda hoping they would have moved to a 1x drivetrain for 2021. I absolutely hate triple crank on the FX1 and FX2 otherwise they would be considered.

Are these FX models a comfortable ride? I have had a couple of bikes in my adult life and I can't say I was happy with either. (CUBE Peloton road bike, Boardman Hybrid Pro). My main issue is reach, I'm 5'8", 30" inseam but I feel like a lot of bikes have crazy long reach and I am not fit enough to be stretched out over a bike for long periods of time. I want a bike that is more upright, I'm hoping the Trek FX is that bike.

I've also been looking at similar bikes, like the Giant Escape and Fastroad, but from what I understand the Fastroad is more a flat bar road bike.

Last edited by m4rk; 07-31-20 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-31-20, 08:00 PM
TampaBayBoater

If you can find someone who has one in stock take it for a test ride, if not... maybe someone here is close enough with a suitable size. I've been on FX for a long time (7.2 now an FX 4) and have neck issues from a waaay too active youth si cant stretch out comfortably either.

I'm using an extender on the stem which affords me more of an upright position.
Old 08-02-20, 07:11 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by m4rk
Hello all!

I've been looking at getting a Trek FX3 Disc, I saw only a few models had been updated to the new 2021 model. Overnight it seems the 2020 Trek FX 3 Disc has become the 2021 Trek FX 3, with no change to spec or colour. I wonder whether Corona has caused it.

I was kinda hoping they would have moved to a 1x drivetrain for 2021. I absolutely hate triple crank on the FX1 and FX2 otherwise they would be considered.

Are these FX models a comfortable ride? I have had a couple of bikes in my adult life and I can't say I was happy with either. (CUBE Peloton road bike, Boardman Hybrid Pro). My main issue is reach, I'm 5'8", 30" inseam but I feel like a lot of bikes have crazy long reach and I am not fit enough to be stretched out over a bike for long periods of time. I want a bike that is more upright, I'm hoping the Trek FX is that bike.

I've also been looking at similar bikes, like the Giant Escape and Fastroad, but from what I understand the Fastroad is more a flat bar road bike.
Hi, I have a medium frame 2020 FX1, I wanted an FX3 but they were all sold out for this year, I'm 5'8" and my inseam is close to 30, I have short legs and long torso and actually found the FX frame to be a bit cramped. My plan is to gradually upgrade the drivetrain to a higher spec with a 2x9 setup, I replaced the saddle with an Ergon touring saddle because I needed the width as I have wide sit bones, also replaced the grips with Ergon GP2's and the pedals are dual side Shimano flat/SPD's. I played around with the stem, the seat height and the seat rails until the bike felt comfortable. I lowered the stem by 10mm and the saddle is positioned toward the rear of it's allowable travel. So far I'm now happy with the fit of the bike and I would recommend it to you.

Cheers,
Old 08-03-20, 07:58 AM
m4rk

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trainchaser
Hi, I have a medium frame 2020 FX1, I wanted an FX3 but they were all sold out for this year, I'm 5'8" and my inseam is close to 30, I have short legs and long torso and actually found the FX frame to be a bit cramped. My plan is to gradually upgrade the drivetrain to a higher spec with a 2x9 setup, I replaced the saddle with an Ergon touring saddle because I needed the width as I have wide sit bones, also replaced the grips with Ergon GP2's and the pedals are dual side Shimano flat/SPD's. I played around with the stem, the seat height and the seat rails until the bike felt comfortable. I lowered the stem by 10mm and the saddle is positioned toward the rear of it's allowable travel. So far I'm now happy with the fit of the bike and I would recommend it to you.

Cheers,
So you shortened the stem and moved the saddle forwards or backwards?

I really need to sit on one I guess, I just hate going to these shops I almost feel pressured to buy. I don't want to make the same mistake as the last couple of times.

I am now weighing up my options, looking at the Trek Checkpoint or similar. If I can get comfortable on a drop bar, meaning I am not in a stretched out road race position, I would prefer drops just for varied hand positions. I also want something that can take wide tyres, not only for gravel paths, but to help soak bad road vibrations and bumps.

Sadly, the cheapest Checkpoint is £1,700.00, the lower end models are not visible on the UK Trek website, so I'm guessing they are sold out.
Old 08-03-20, 09:35 AM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
Hi again, the final adjustment was having the new saddle moved back to it's rear most position and the stem lowered 10 mm, not shortened. Lowering the stem, taking into consideration the steering tube angle, actually increases the reach. Hope you can find a bike to check out, the reality today is that most bikes sold are all very good, it's just a matter of finding the one that fits, that best suits your style and where you like to ride...

Cheers
Old 08-04-20, 08:34 AM
Old Spice
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Hey guys quick question hoping someone can give me a suggestion, I've got a Trek FX 1 Disc I've been tooling around on since covid hit and I'm on like my 5th flat tire, last one was a piece of glass embedded. I'm thinking screw these stock tires I'm looking to upgrade. What tires would you pick if you were me???
Old 08-04-20, 09:25 AM
Cornchips

Bikes: Giant Escape 3 (2018), Giant Roam 3 (2021), Specialized Sirrus X 3.0 (2022)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Spice
Hey guys quick question hoping someone can give me a suggestion, I've got a Trek FX 1 Disc I've been tooling around on since covid hit and I'm on like my 5th flat tire, last one was a piece of glass embedded. I'm thinking screw these stock tires I'm looking to upgrade. What tires would you pick if you were me???
Some sort of 'puncture resistant' tyre like the Scwalbe Marathon or the Schwable Marathon Plus - hopefully you'll never have to worry about getting another flat again!
Old 08-06-20, 01:18 AM
SwannyBC

Bikes: 2020 Trek FX 3 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone installed a set of full bend bar ends and a Mirrycle bar end mirror on a Trek FX with Isozone grips?
I bought a Trek FX 3 Disc a few weeks ago and when I ordered the Bontrager bar ends the sales kid at the Trek store said that I couldn’t install bar ends and a bar end mirror because the bar ends require an Isozone adapter which plugs the end of the handlebar where the mirror attaches. This is disappointing because I’ve used this mirror n other bikes and really like it for touring.
Anyway, I’m hoping this sales person is wrong. A photo on another thread seemed to show a Trek FX with Isozone grips and bar ends and the Mirrycle bar end mirror installed.

Last edited by SwannyBC; 08-06-20 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-07-20, 11:56 AM
James Christie

Bikes: Trek 790 (1992) Trek FXS4 (2019)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They are round and they bounce!!

I have bar ends on my 2019 FX4 fitted by my Trek LBS. No mirror yet, but turning round to look behind is getting to be more of a challenge so I shall fit something soon....

james
Old 08-07-20, 02:12 PM
SwannyBC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by James Christie
I have bar ends on my 2019 FX4 fitted by my Trek LBS. No mirror yet, but turning round to look behind is getting to be more of a challenge so I shall fit something soon....
Unfortunately, it looks like the Isozone grips/bars make it impossible to install both bar ends and a bar end mirror on Trek FX bikes. The Isozone Satellite Plus bar end adapter has a plug that fits in the end of the handlebar that leaves no room for the bar end mirror. This is disappointing as I have tried other mirrors over the years and really like the bar end ones like the Mirrycle bar end mirror.
Old 08-07-20, 03:37 PM
TampaBayBoater

Originally Posted by SwannyBC
Unfortunately, it looks like the Isozone grips/bars make it impossible to install both bar ends and a bar end mirror on Trek FX bikes. The Isozone Satellite Plus bar end adapter has a plug that fits in the end of the handlebar that leaves no room for the bar end mirror. This is disappointing as I have tried other mirrors over the years and really like the bar end ones like the Mirrycle bar end mirror.
I have bar ends and a bar end mirror on my FX4 (installed at LBS in 15 min or so)
Old 08-07-20, 03:58 PM
TampaBayBoater

Old 08-07-20, 05:58 PM
SwannyBC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaBayBoater
I have bar ends and a bar end mirror on my FX4 (installed at LBS in 15 min or so)
Can you please tell me how they did this? Is the bar end on the mirror side clamped to the the mirror? I’m looking at the plug that comes with the Isozone Satellite Plus Bar End Adapter and can’t see how you could fit a bar end Mirrycle mirror onto the adapter plug. If you don’t know, could you please give me the name of the bike shop you used so I can contact them for instructions? I really want to be able to do this.
The info I got that you couldn’t install both came from my bike shop up here in Vancouver and from a Trek rep I contacted through the chat service on their website. Mind you, no one I talked to seemed particularly knowledgeable about this setup and might have simply been unwilling to admit they didn’t know and too lazy to go find out.

Last edited by SwannyBC; 08-07-20 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-07-20, 08:34 PM
TampaBayBoater

Originally Posted by SwannyBC
Can you please tell me how they did this? Is the bar end on the mirror side clamped to the the mirror? I’m looking at the plug that comes with the Isozone Satellite Plus Bar End Adapter and can’t see how you could fit a bar end Mirrycle mirror onto the adapter plug. If you don’t know, could you please give me the name of the bike shop you used so I can contact them for instructions? I really want to be able to do this.
The info I got that you couldn’t install both came from my bike shop up here in Vancouver and from a Trek rep I contacted through the chat service on their website. Mind you, no one I talked to seemed particularly knowledgeable about this setup and might have simply been unwilling to admit they didn’t know and too lazy to go find out.
To be truthful, I have no idea but it certainly looked like a pretty common process. I'll call tomorrow to see if they can give me some more detail. ABC - Trek Store St. Petersburg had the mirror and https://www.davidsworld.com/about/seminole-pg445.htm had the bar ends.
Old 08-08-20, 01:25 AM
SwannyBC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaBayBoater
To be truthful, I have no idea but it certainly looked like a pretty common process. I'll call tomorrow to see if they can give me some more detail.
Would really appreciate any instructions/details on how this was done. Was it David’s World Seminole that did the work? I am going down to my lbs tomorrow with the photo you posted. Maybe they will try a bit harder after seeing that this can be done.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.