Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 09-21-21, 10:54 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Zwift workout last night just took a bit to get "that feeling". What I mean is sometimes your HR is in the floor "this is too easy" but your RPE in the legs is there though.

Was doing 1min/2min stuff. I started out with 2min 97% and 1min at 110%. That was too easy. Next two sets did Zwift % modify in the companion app to get it to 101% and 116%. That worked out just right. It was 9min per set.

I feel under/overs is one of those that has so much variability between how folks do them. Pursuits are just go hammer 5min for four or five times. But I see all manner of different ideas on this one.

I prefer the over/under mentally to just 3x8 or something. Or 2x20. Just keeps your mind busier than blunt force duration/effort.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 09-22-21, 12:11 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Somewhat miraculously, I seem to be maintaining PB 20ish min numbers. I am also sitting at PB numbers for the 8-10 minute range. This is cool for 3 reasons. First, high numbers are always fun. Second, in the past, I've usually only been able to hold this sort of fitness for a week or two before it drops off, whereas this time it has been nearly two months. Third is I have not been able to train the kind of hours I enjoy doing due to internship, school, and such, so it is nice to see that being busy is not the end of the world. One could at this point perhaps hypothesize that I have been overly fatigued by riding too much in the past, but there isn't really enough data to go on. CTL is in the 60s though, and only peaked at like 73 before my schedule went nuts.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 09-23-21, 08:30 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Frustrating Zwift workout last night. Pushed a 3x8 TP workout over I made in my library. Just traditional 3x8 with 2 extra sets you can just skip at end if you want, or try for some more.

I swear, RPE and HR was worse than Monday's under/overs. But on Monday the over/unders had the same avg power per set and were a minute longer per set. That makes zero sense to me. Maybe not enough carb eating. Needs spindown on the Kickr. Don't know.

I did the 3x8 and tried some more and did two more sets of 3min. That last full 8min set was just too hard versus how Monday went.

Aye, thus is life with this stuff. I need to buy a Quarq so I can have really good separate power on that thing like my TT bike has. The TT bike Quarq I trust so can use as a stink test against the Kickr. The roadie has a crap old left Stages that's pretty much just a KJ tracker.
Old 09-24-21, 07:27 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
My racing season ended last week. I've done two recovery rides this week. And I've felt rather sore the day after each.

I'm taking off from structured training until Nov. 1. I need a mental break - I just want to be able to ride and lift without feeling like I have to do it.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 09-27-21, 08:26 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,568 Posts
Quick update on my knee - I'm feeling some progress and optimism! I was able to ride for 3 hrs on Saturday with some solid climbing.

Spent the weekend with a buddy (his bday) up in Big Bear to ride MTB and drink beers with him, with the disclaimer that I might not be riding a whole lot and doing some strengthening/stretching work. I did quite a bit of glute activation pre-ride and tried the Kinesio Tape for the first time, with a general "full knee support" taping strategy to keep my knee in place.

It seems like it worked! I'm excited that I may have a temporary "band aid" that can let me put in a halfway decent ride here and there while I work on the underlying problems. I had planned on dropping out of the Skyline Loop at the top of Snow Summit resort and taking one of the green or blue lines back into the village, which is like 1/3 - 1/2 the whole route. But I felt great and wasn't feeling and perceptible symptoms, which I did not expect.

For a week or so, I had been looking into the glute thing and focusing on activation exercise every day. A week ago I couldn't really contract my left glute in an isolated fashion like I could my right. That took some brain//neuro training but now I can do that much more readily. Over the next couple weeks, I'd like to do some light body weight stuff and eventually get to a point where I can do some focused weighted work targeting my glutes and lower stabilization muscles.

I'm not going to let this short term success derail my long term plans of having a balanced, strong lower body and then building up volume from a more healthy starting point.

Last edited by TMonk; 09-27-21 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-01-21, 10:43 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Mental break from cross practice to enjoy good TT bike weather. Did some Notio testing during workouts to learn the data to start really chipping away at gains.

Did a 10mi effort, not the flattest spot. 27mph. Could be quicker if pan flat whole way. I may have one more go on the road by my work.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-01-21, 11:23 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Bit of an openers workout this morning. Sac CX # 1 tomorrow! B50+ look out!
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-02-21, 05:43 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by caloso
Bit of an openers workout this morning. Sac CX # 1 tomorrow! B50+ look out!
Midpack, finished on the lead lap, and only crashed once. All in all, not terrible.
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-03-21, 05:36 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by caloso
Midpack, finished on the lead lap, and only crashed once. All in all, not terrible.
They show the winning pro crashing in races to go "see, it's normal in cross!". What they don't tell you is that they were ahead over a minute at the time, lol. Oh, and their race is like twice as long as mine.

But, this is me. Usually goes: holeshot in top 5, shuffle in the podium or top five for two laps, crash, chase back on to be in the front 1/3.

I'm not doing enough in the series to get points, so can't decide which race next weekend to do. Down street literally but never seen course, or 10min away and "home turf" kind of deal. We'll see.

I'm personally frustrated at having this "dad" crash instinct of despite it being low impact grass/dirt crashes......being gun shy. I'm not 40 yet. Our masters starts at 40. The college kids destroy 4/5 open around here. So that's rough going racing kids with zero fear or long term body issues from crashing.

Also about had it with the Crockett. Paint is peeling like a $200 car re-paint job. It's a hair too big. I want to try discs. All my wheelsets have dings in them that cause brake surges. You ride bikes more you like to ride. That's the really nice and sorted TT and road bikes. This thing is becoming a bit of a pile.

I could make it a single speed and upgrade for Christmas.
Old 10-04-21, 05:33 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Last race of the season this weekend (4-up TT), so a fairly easy training week after 4 fairly tough weeks. I'm looking forward to next week's "Do what you fancy week" before settling into whatever my coach has in store for this winter's training. There will most likely be some zwift races in there, possibly some outdoor bunch races on a local closed circuit (weather dependent), and a lot of work on continuing to bump my FTP as I prepare for another onslaught of TTs come the spring and summer. Hopefully, I'll be able to break the 5 hour barrier on the hundred.
Likes For rivers:
Old 10-04-21, 08:00 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I'm making sure progress with my knee and I'm able to put in a decent ride pain free now. It's such relief to be able to keep my CTL from plummeting off a cliff since I developed the problem on 8/29. This weekend, I rode 65 unstructured miles Saturday and then 1 hr on the TT bike on the trainer yesterday, followed by exploring some of this lower body P90x workout.

I have an in-network (Kaiser) office visit this morning and an out of network call with a DPT/OCS that I met through the San Diego velodrome this evening. I'm committed to learning about lower body strengthening and flexibility imbalances, and developing a routine that will keep my healthy and strong before building up my volume too much.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-05-21, 05:31 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Rode a 1x15' by feel this morning just to test the knee with an extended moderate effort of ~4.0 w/kg. It was a bit harder than I expected, like not FTP test hard, but still. HRM not working so I had no way to calibrate my RPE.

Lets just say I have a long way to go to get back to a 5.0 w/kg 20 minute test haha. No rush, I have a few months to take my time building up volume and CTL anywho. If things go totally smoothly, maybe I'll be good for VoS in February, which is typically my first season target.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-07-21, 11:00 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Yesterday, some lower body strength work in the AM and then a jog at lunch. Today, 1.75 hrs AM with 35' in position as 1x20 (Z3) then 1x15 (Z4) on the TT bike, 30 min commute home later. Tomorrow I'll do some more core and glute work in the AM and otherwise take the day off. Volume on Saturday and then something light/easy on Sunday. Good stuff.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-07-21, 01:01 PM
caloso

Did a 6x2min vo2max set this morning. Hit all my targets, I'm starting to love VO2max work because they're hard but short and satisfying. As I was riding back to my house to get ready for work, I passed a neighbor who said Hi and called me by name but I was so wiped I just kinda did a generic Hey! And now I feel a little bad that he might think I was blowing him off.
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-15-21, 11:19 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Probably last "full kit" TT roll for 2021. I went at lunch, under fueled, to try a 10mi lunge for a PR for the year. I got it by a good bit, great watts per speed, but bad watts. Not fueled. Just didn't make the power.

U-turn was a bit lazy too as it was a bit busier at lunch than assumed so was careful.

10mi in 21:52 with standing start and u-turn. 276w AP is all it said I could muster. With a target of 296. Just wasn't feeling good after about 10min.

Off season, I foresee a lot of sweetspot work in Zwift in store. I just need to man up another 20 or 30w for 2022. Stop farting around.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-15-21, 01:30 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Just a drive-by progress report...

My doctor approved a three-month "medication holiday" from all chemo meds. Fitness-wise, I'm (re-)starting from ground zero. According to WKO, my mFTP is 169; it was 260 (measured) pre-chemo. I'm doing base stuff, 1:30-2:00 rides with average power ~125-135 watts. I'm working on endurance more than power at this point since my cycling is mainly to provide additional volume to support my running - not to mention that I still like riding my bike. I'm signed up for a 10k run in two weeks and I anticipate my pace will be ~12:30, which is about four minutes slower than pre-chemo, but I'll be out there, dammit! I'm also doing a 20-mile trail race the first weekend of December.

My CTL got down to 9. It's 21 today, TSB is -17. When you get down that far, it's easy to stay in negative territory for about forever.

Demain, on roule!
Old 10-15-21, 01:56 PM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I had my last race of the season on Sunday. Disappointing 30:13 for 11.7 mile TT (23.2 mph average), and about 10 watts down on my power for short distances over the season. My heart rate was through the roof, and just felt really terrible after the race. I took one of my twice weekly LFTs on Monday night- and positive for covid, so that explains Sunday then. Luckily, I'm asymptomatic. So now at home isolating, and what was supposed to be 2 weeks of no training and just commuting and social rides, is spent doing the occasional 20 minute easy spin on Zwift. And even that is harder work than it should be. Hopefully I won't lose too much fitness.
Old 10-20-21, 09:50 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Checking in from cycling in Europe - Croatia was 230 miles with 12,658 of climbing and Italy was 254 miles with 9,271 of climbing all over 14 days of cycling. I am writing this from my Athens, Greece hotel room. We start cycling in Greece on Sunday. I am very happy with my weight loss and prep for this trip.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 10-20-21, 06:11 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Checking in from cycling in Europe - Croatia was 230 miles with 12,658 of climbing and Italy was 254 miles with 9,271 of climbing all over 14 days of cycling. I am writing this from my Athens, Greece hotel room. We start cycling in Greece on Sunday. I am very happy with my weight loss and prep for this trip.
cool! are you on a tandem? hotels the whole way? those can get expensive.
Likes For spectastic:
Old 10-21-21, 11:23 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
cool! are you on a tandem? hotels the whole way? those can get expensive.
We are riding road bikes and most nights are on a cruise ship and the rest at hotels.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 10-21-21, 04:42 PM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by rivers
I had my last race of the season on Sunday. Disappointing 30:13 for 11.7 mile TT (23.2 mph average), and about 10 watts down on my power for short distances over the season. My heart rate was through the roof, and just felt really terrible after the race. I took one of my twice weekly LFTs on Monday night- and positive for covid, so that explains Sunday then. Luckily, I'm asymptomatic. So now at home isolating, and what was supposed to be 2 weeks of no training and just commuting and social rides, is spent doing the occasional 20 minute easy spin on Zwift. And even that is harder work than it should be. Hopefully I won't lose too much fitness.
I hope you're feeling better!
Old 10-21-21, 07:49 PM
caloso

Worked from home today and got a break in the rain so went out for a 3x10’ threshold workout. Nice way to break up the day.
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-22-21, 07:49 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Screwed by the Zwift update last night like a lot of other Mac computer owners. So had to go run. They acknowledge their screwup and claim to be working on it.

Ughhh. I don't like riding alone much in the dark unless it is really low volume traffic. Like, none.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-22-21, 10:37 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
I was told the mac issue with the colors is already fixed. Not sure about the pairing screen issue with all riders though.
Likes For himespau:
Old 10-22-21, 11:16 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

They fixed it apparently around 10pm last night. I tried to hop on at 7pm.

I'll try it tonight even if I don't ride, just to make sure.
Likes For burnthesheep:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.