Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for next epic ride

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Suggestions for next epic ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-17, 08:27 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
"2a : extending beyond the usual or ordinary especially in size or scope b : heroic"

All depends on what one considers usual or ordinary or heroic. Any mountain tour is heroic for me heh. Interesting about taking the suspension fork, I'd like to see more touring bikes w/susp fork option. Also heroic is how folks shovel/snow-blow 44' of snow.
Old 04-23-17, 10:03 AM
Lucy.P

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Munich

Originally Posted by alan s
Thinking ahead to the summer, anywhere from June to August, and trying to come up with an "epic ride in an awesome location" list. OK, that's a bit of a joke, but you know what I mean, hopefully. East coast of the US is my starting point, and the farthest I really want to fly is Europe or anywhere in North America.

The main constraint is time, which allows for about 9 days of riding, plus time to get there and back. Also, I don't really want to spend much time in urban areas, and prefer most of the time riding in beautiful surroundings (who doesn't, right?). Also, not into roughing it, dealing with bad weather or critters, or seeing some obscure locations. Easy to get there and back is a must. Cost is not a factor, but I do like camping, so at least an opportunity to stay in campgrounds some of the time would be ideal.

So far, I'm thinking about, in no particular order:

- going back to Switzerland and riding the eastern portion; rode in the western portion last summer
- riding from Munich to Bratislava along the Isar and Danube and taking the train back
- hill towns in Italy
- Loire Valley/Paris
- Erie Canal (a bit less epic, but on my list nonetheless)
- Ireland or UK
- somewhere out West?

I know that's a lot to choose from, and surely there are many other places that fit the criteria. What are your thoughts or suggestions?
I've ridden out of Munich many times on tours Eastbound and Southbound (through Alps) and can strongly recommend this location as terrific start point for any tour to explore Bavaria, Czech Republic, Austria and into Italy. You can even ride straight out of the airport!! ...cyclepaths take you into Munich city centre! It's an easy (smallish) airport to navigate and extremely easy to exit and you're straight onto magnificent smooth roads into the open country. I love it! BTW the Danube is brill! ...rode it to Budapest a couple of years ago from Munich.